• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rendering Duck and Goose Fat

Bicycle Lee

I won't claim it's the "best" way, but I usually put the skin and fat in a cast iron pan and heat it very slowly with a little water until all the fat has been rendered (the water quickly evaporates.) You can easily tell when there is no more fat to render. You wind up with delicious cracklings as well.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I have never tried, but can't see why not. Anyone tried this?

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I used to do it on top of the stove or in the oven as described above and both work very well. Now I use a small crockpot set on low and just leave it all day. I think I get more fat out of the skin by the very slow cooking.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I just did it with the skin/fat from a piece of pork, and it worked very well (at 300, I think). Remember that you DO have to stir it from time to time, but mostly it does the work all by itself.

Edited to add: Thanks for the tip, Paula! Yet another use for the slow cooker. :biggrin:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

I created my technique after reading an article by Amanda Hesser in the Times (1/19/00). She gave a recipe from Greg Sonnier of Gabrielle in New Orleans.

I place the duck in a dutch oven along with diced root vegetables, some sprigs of thyme and salt and pepper and put it in the oven at about 300 for 2 1/2 hours. Then I pull the duck and vegetables out and strain the fat. I save the fat for future use. Roast the vegetables at a high heat and quickly crisp the skin of the duck in a saute pan.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I used to do it on top of the stove or in the oven as described above and both work very well. Now I use a small crockpot set on low and just leave it all day. I think I get more fat out of the skin by the very slow cooking.

If I recall correctly, I think I got my method from you. :smile: Think I will try my crock-pot next time.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

~ Fernand Point

OMG! What a great idea! I know how I am going to make my next batch of lard. If I want the cracklins I will just put those in a pot on the stove later.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Don't forget to do it on low temperature. 300 might turn the color too much.

A bit of Trivia :

A very similar method as described above at the Gabrielle restaurant is based on a very old recipe from the catalans. In fact, Eliane Comelade-Thibaut, author of La Cuisine Catalane, discovered this method of extracting fat from ducks in the archives in Mahon, on the island of Minorca before teh second world war.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

i read somewhere in teh last couple of years that it was better to cook the fat in a LOT of water so that it didn't color, then lift the duck lard off. i tried it. didn't think the fat was that much better than the other way, plus you didn't get any cracklings. so it wasn't. uh, never mind.

what I do to get the cracklings dark is to lift them out of the fat and do them in a skillet so I can control, color and flavor.

you are right to use some liquid if you have very little fat, otherwise it will fry and not release all its fat.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

I won't claim it's the "best" way, but I usually put the skin and fat in a cast iron pan and heat it very slowly with a little water until all the fat has been rendered (the water quickly evaporates.)  You can easily tell when there is no more fat to render.  You wind up with delicious cracklings as well.

Using this method you can also add some dry white wine to the water which will add another level of flavor to your rendered fat if you so desire.

Hobbes

• 3 years later...

The hunting season starts here Saturday with geese. In the past I have not plucked the birds, but opted to skin and bone them.

The questions I have are:

1).How do I render the fat from the skin?

2).Is there a difference between goose and duck fat?

3).Has anyone used wild fowl for this?

Thank you.

Mike

respect the food, something died to provide

Lotto winner wanna-be

This is the method I've used when rendering the fat from a duck. It destroys the skin, but you get absolutely all the fat:

*Remove fat and skin together

*Blend in the food processor until it's a nasty pink goo

*Put goo into casserole dish and into a low oven (probably about 200 F)

*Once the fat is melted, skim the pink foam from the top, leaving perfectly melted fat

Hi I usually buy wild geese and ducks in the winter months and found there’s not much fat on them to render. I have tried to (of course) but the rendered fat from such wildfowl had a slightly wiffy aroma. Put it this way, I wouldn’t fry my chips in them! The ones I get are usually hung and although I personally don’t like too ‘high’ a flavour more often than not it’s first detectable in the fat and skin.

If you’re shooting the wildfowl yourself though you will be able to ensure it’s freshness, so it may not be a problem for you.

As Dave put it so succinctly, there is a difference between duck and goose fat – one is from duck the other from goose!!! But seriously, I don’t think there is any practical difference between the two. Some may say that goose fat has a richer taste but I couldn’t live on the difference.

The smaller you cut the skin, the quicker it will render. I like to cut it into fingertip sized pieces so I can enjoy the crispy crackling straight after rendering – takes about 20-25 mins on a moderate heat regardless of how much you render.

Just one point, you will need to pluck the birds if you want to render the skins. Can you imagine the funky smell of you didn’t?

I am a big fan of the Julia Child technique from "The Way to Cook": steam bird breast up for an hour, braise in oven for an hour, uncover and roast in oven until crispy brown.

It works well for geese and ducks although the bigger and fattier birds need more cooking time. In my experience, wild ducks can be very lean and may require no steaming at all whereas the grocery store geese seem to be the fattiest and may get two hours of gentle steaming.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Hi I usually buy wild geese and ducks in the winter months and found there’s not much fat on them to render.

FWIW - I think you might find it`s actually illegal to buy/sell wild geese in the UK, also of the geese and duck I shot last year only the September shot birds were not worth the effort of skinning and rendering, but the later birds were as fat as butter.

SP 1187 - QUOTE**how and for how long can I store it?**

In glass jars when hot and then closed tight, I have some from october last and it`s still OK, however I use any that are opened within 3 months so they last at least that long.

2 more things, firstly, remember to cut around the preen gland and discard this as it has a very strange bitter taste, lastly, I too have an 11-87 and it`s a great gun, I hope to upgrade to the SP10 soon :biggrin:

Edited by Henry dV (log)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

FWIW - I think you might find it`s actually illegal to buy/sell wild geese in the UK...

Thanks for the warning Henry dV, i didn't know that. I buy from a farmer's maket stall that usually sells their own farmed ducks. On a handful of occassions in the past few years the chap was selling wild geese and duck that he'd shot on his farm. If i see any this year i'll be more wary.

THERE IS NO FAT ON WILD WATERFOWL BE IT GOOSE OR DUCK!

IN FACT IF YOU ATTEMPT TO COOK A WILD BIRD LIKE A DOMESTIC BIRD, YOU WILL END UP WITH A HOCKEY PUCK!

Wild duck should be cooked quickly in a hot oven until rare and not rested.

I breast out wild geese, cook the breats rare and braise the leg/thighs in sour cream.

I have been hunting waterfowl for 35+ years.-Dick

THERE IS NO FAT ON WILD WATERFOWL BE IT GOOSE OR DUCK!

IN FACT IF YOU ATTEMPT TO COOK A WILD BIRD LIKE A DOMESTIC BIRD, YOU WILL END UP WITH A HOCKEY PUCK!

Wild duck should be cooked quickly in a hot oven until rare and not rested.

I breast out wild geese, cook the breats rare and braise the leg/thighs in sour cream.

I have been hunting waterfowl for 35+ years.-Dick

You have clearly never had a wild Snow Goose.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

THERE IS NO FAT ON WILD WATERFOWL BE IT GOOSE OR DUCK

don't know where you are gunning but the birds I shoot in Michigan have fat on them. heck the birds I shot in Manitoba last year had fat on them. Not nearly as much as domestic of course, but they have a useable amount on them.

as far as cooking them, I'm right there with you on your procedure.

I'm not rendering the fat from the birds in the cooking process but rather rendering after I skin them.

respect the food, something died to provide

Lotto winner wanna-be