• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rendering Duck and Goose Fat

Bicycle Lee

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Like so.

The comments on that low temperature recipe were not so favorable.  I have a duck in the refrigerator that was supposed to have been dinner yesterday.  For better or worse I have to cook the duck in the next few days.  While my primary interest is in the meat and skin I certainly hope not to waste the fat.

My current thinking is either to steam bake in the CSO (assuming the bird fits in the CSO, which at this point is not a given) or to spit roast on an open rotisserie with a pan underneath to collect the drippings.

I am open to further suggestions.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The comments on that low temperature recipe were not so favorable.  I have a duck in the refrigerator that was supposed to have been dinner yesterday.  For better or worse I have to cook the duck in the next few days.  While my primary interest is in the meat and skin I certainly hope not to waste the fat.

My current thinking is either to steam bake in the CSO (assuming the bird fits in the CSO, which at this point is not a given) or to spit roast on an open rotisserie with a pan underneath to collect the drippings.

I am open to further suggestions.

I have made that recipe many times and been very pleased with the results so I’m not sure what the issue might be.. It is certainly very well known and appears on many reputable sites. 

I have serious doubts that the duck will fit (whole) in the CSO. They are longer than chickens by quite a bit. 

I have done it in a closed rotisserie (think Ron Popeil) Very successfully but you certainly have to be aware in that case of stopping the rotisserie and pouring out the fat to avoid fires. 

The other way is to simply roast it as you would a turkey or chicken.   Like a turkey it suffers from likelihood of the breast drying out before the legs are completely cooked and duck breast is much better not overcooked. 

You could also butcher it. Cook the legs separately from the breast and slow roast the carcass with the primary purpose of obtaining its fat which will still be quite a bit. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have done it in a closed rotisserie (think Ron Popeil) Very successfully but you certainly have to be aware in that case of stopping the rotisserie and pouring out the fat to avoid fires. 

I'm pretty sure this will not be a problem with my rotisserie.  The drip collection is well below the heating element.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou