• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hurricane Plans?

vengroff

Just took a quick walk around a bit of Springfield...no watering holes open here, for obvious reasons...so it's downtown for the wife and I--maybe Matchbox, maybe RFD (liquids only), the Brick...no telling....

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Looks like Sterling came off pretty light - we drove around this morning and didn't see any trees down that hit houses, and most of the power/phone lines are buried so that wasn't a concern. We never fully lost power, although it did brown out 6 or 7 times during the evening, and there was no damage to the house that I can see. I'm happy to be classified as non-emergency personnel at work though - sounds like DC's still a mess between downed lines and trees.

We're in the don't-drink-the-water zone, though, and it looks like pretty much all the food places around here have closed or are going to close because of that (at least the fast food had as of a couple hours ago; not sure about grocery stores/etc.) If boiling the water is the worst we have to worry about, though, I'll take it.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Still no power. I came with my partner to UMD today so I could get online for a little while. It's gotten really, really old.

Well, it could be worse:

1. All my frozen food is stowed at a friend's house; she only lost power for a few hours. That's about $300 worth of grace.

2. I have a gas stove, although my oven is electric.

3. I've kept milk, juice and other essentials in a cooler packed with ice successfully.

4. I have a gas water heater and we have clean water, so I can shower (yay!) and do dishes (crap!)

But it's still old. There's no more romance in it. I think everything is ugly by candlelight after a few nights.

At 4:30am I heard the HEPA filter in my bedroom (the only machine I forgot to turn off) kick in. Erin shouted YES! which quickly woke me up the rest of the way. :biggrin: We feel so luxurious, working at home where our phone and computers and internet are all back up.

I went out to pick up breakfast and coffee earlier and Erin reports we had a "burp" while I was out. :unsure: All that damn rain may cause more trees to come down. Here's hoping it doesn't happen.

The storm could have been much worse, but she sure left a mess behind! My work has been closed the past week, so went out and played contractor with my husband, cutting out trees and clearing yards and houses of debris. There's been some significant damage here, between downed trees and flooding.

I was lucky- no damage to the house, and I had my power back by Sunday. My in-laws still don't have it, and have been informed it may be another couple of weeks. :blink:

Oh, and I've decided I'm buying a generator. It just about killed me to throw out the 10 pounds of BBQ I've been stashing away in the freezer. Oh, the humanity.