• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ann Arbor Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

prasantrin

I'm hoping so, because I can't figure out what part of the USA Michigan is.

I think I'm heading to Ann Arbor, MI for a few days next month. The only food place I know of thus far is Zingerman's (probably spelled that incorrectly). Are there any cheap (less than $10/person) but awesomely good eats out there? I'm thinking some Indian, Thai (not fake Thai or Laotian, but real Thai), or Middle Eastern-ish (the friend I'm visiting spent 3 months in Morocco with me so it would be fun to re-live those food moments). But good burger joints and local specialties are always good, too!

Ann Arbor is a big college town. There's bound to be some cheap eating places. the U of M has a very international student body and I'd expect Ann Arbor to have more than its share of ethnic restaurants. My sister used to work at the university and we've made a few visits. I'd say Michigan is part of the Heartland, :biggrin: though not as deep into it as Bloomington, Illinois, where she now lives. :laugh: What Ann Arbor lacked when I was last there, and remember it was some time ago, was truly sophisticated dining. I've since heard claims that there are some good places nearby. No one has made similar claims about Bloomington. :biggrin: That shouldn't be a problem for you, from what you've posted.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

My post to an earlier thread on food in Michigan:

As Andrew said, Ann Arbor is a great town for cheap eats. Here are some of my favorites, all pretty cheap:

One of the hidden gems in town is Jefferson Market. This little market hidden on a side street (Jefferson) in the old west side across from Bach school has an amazing kitchen in the back. Pretty much everything they serve is amazing.

Cafe Zola does a good brunch. Tapas at Cafe Felix is fun too. If you feel like venturing into Ypsilanti, there's good Vietnamese at DaLat. For Thai, I have two favorites - Tuptim in Ypsi is pretty excellent all round, but Siam Square (in the hotel across the street from Arborland) has better curries. Also in Ypsi, Memphis Blues smokehouse serves a smoked beef brisket that's to die for.

Earthen Jar on 5th Ave offers good, cheap, vegetarian Indian buffet by the pound. Jerusalem Garden, right next door, is the source for cheap and good Middle Eastern stuff - their falafel sandwich is an incredible bargain, at less than $3 last time I visited, and you can make two meals out of it.

Sabor Latino is a Latin American place on Main. While all their food is good (or so I've been told) - I pretty much only eat their Carne al Pastor tacos - they are amazing.

Lots of places for good Korean in town. Either of the Korean places down on South University are good. But my favorite places for Bi Bim Bop is Kosmo Deli, the lunch counter in the Kerrytown Shops.

If you like Dim Sum, Great Lakes Chinese Seafood Restaurant is the place to go. They also have some great items on their dinner menu - as a Hong Kong style restaurant, they have some unusal items. My faves are shrimp in honey walnut sauce, Singapore Noodles, and Beef Tenderloin in Black Pepper Sauce.

For Szechuan, Szechuan West on Stadium Rd near Jackson is a an old favorite, although the last time I visited I was unimpressed with my usual favorite, the Szechuan Chicken. General Tso's was still awesome, however.

Madras Masala is a new Southern Indian place that's recently opened. The last time I was there they were working out some service kinks, but the food was very good. Blimpy Burger is both a great burger and a great experience. Bev's Carribean Kitchen is great and cheap - try the curried goat.

Hope that helps!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Listen to tammylc -- she knows Ann Arbor!

Zingerman's is great and probably shouldn't be missed, if only to browse and maybe pick up some bread or pastry or cheese or smoked fish. It's possible to get lunch for <$10 (e.g., half a sandwich and a beverage).

Michigan is still trying to figure out what part of the US it belongs to. As a native New Yorker, I think it's the Midwest, without a doubt. Someone from, say, Nebraska may disagree. Ann Arbor transcends all that, though.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thanks all! I've created my list! I'm only going to be there for two full days, and two partial days, but I think I can fit everything in there! Zingerman's has been on my list for a couple of years now, but everything on their website is so expensive that I may have to just window shop (though I would like some Cluizel and El Ray chocolate for my truffles experiment). My friend says their chicken salad sandwich is number one on her list, though in terms of value, it's only number two since it's overpriced. She also wants to go to Chelsea Grill. Hope it's good!

I'll post a review when I get back. Thanks again!

Thanks all!  I've created my list!  I'm only going to be there for two full days, and two partial days, but I think I can fit everything in there!  Zingerman's has been on my list for a couple of years now, but everything on their website is so expensive that I may have to just window shop (though I would like some Cluizel and El Ray chocolate for my truffles experiment).  My friend says their chicken salad sandwich is number one on her list, though in terms of value, it's only number two since it's overpriced.  She also wants to go to Chelsea Grill.  Hope it's good!

I'll post a review when I get back.  Thanks again!

Are you sure you don't mean Common Grill in Chelsea?

Sometimes things are cheaper at the Zingerman's store vs. the web site. Not much, though. I do love their smoked whitefish salad.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

It's possible that she meant Common Grill but she wrote Chelsea Grill. She doesn't have a great memory, though :smile:. She initially wrote that she wanted to go to Chelsea to the restaurant owned by Jeff Daniels. She later remembered that he owned a theater, not a restaurant, and then said the restaurant was called Chelsea Grill. I think the restaurant must be in or near the theater, or somehow related to it, but I'll have to ask her about it.

It's possible that she meant Common Grill but she wrote Chelsea Grill. She doesn't have a great memory, though :smile:. She initially wrote that she wanted to go to Chelsea to the restaurant owned by Jeff Daniels. She later remembered that he owned a theater, not a restaurant, and then said the restaurant was called Chelsea Grill. I think the restaurant must be in or near the theater, or somehow related to it, but I'll have to ask her about it.

The Common Grill is very near Jeff Daniels's Purple Rose Theatre. My last visit there was a good six or seven years ago, but I remember enjoying it. Nothing terribly innovative, just good food.

The thing to remember about all that stuff you can't afford to buy at Zingerman's - they will let you sample _anything_ in the store. Absolutely anything. $125 ultra-rare ice wine vinegar? Check. Smoked duck in sealed plastic packages from D'Artagnan? Check (and then they let us each just buy 1/4 lb instead of having to get the whole thing). Absolutely anything. In fact, they are usually thrilled to do so. I've had Zingerman's employees be downright disappointed when I didn't want to try something. Best way to get a good sampling experience is to go during non-peak hours, of course. Weekdays or late in the evening. Of course, I'd recommend you to buy _something_ after all that sampling - we wouldn't want them to change the policy because too many people took advantage of it.

Oh, and speaking of sampling, be sure you try the "Naga" truffle from Vosges available at the chocolate counter in Zingerman's Next Door. Chocolate/Curry/Coconut is a fabulous combination.

It is the Common Grill, owned by Craig Common. It and the theater were part of a downtown renewal thing Chelsea went through a few years ago. Daniels wanted to open a theater, but they needed some destination dining to go with it, and thus the Common Grill was born. Like Alex, I haven't been there in years, but remember if as being solidly good but not exciting - about what you expect for small town America.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

$125 ultra-rare ice wine vinegar?

Mmmmm.

Bruce

Yes it was. But all gone the last few times I've been in.

They had a Banyuls vinegar that was really nice - not for sipping, like the ice wine vinegar, but it would have been great for salad. I regret that I didn't buy any, and I think its gone too.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

It is the Common Grill, owned by Craig Common.  It and the theater were part of a downtown renewal thing Chelsea went through a few years ago.  Daniels wanted to open a theater, but they needed some destination dining to go with it, and thus the Common Grill was born.  Like Alex, I haven't been there in years, but remember if as being solidly good but not exciting - about what you expect for small town America.

That describes my friend perfectly :biggrin: . She's very simple in her tastes. She's from Saline, originally, which is a pretty small town from what she told me. Then again, I'm from Canada and pretty much anywhere outside of Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal is small-townish at heart. I must be a Bobo, though (see here for the definition of Bobo), since I'm feeling the need to try that ice wine vinegar. Ice wine is good, ice wine vinegar must be amazing. I know for oenophiles this doesn't count, but I have a nice bottle of Bosc Pear Ice Wine in my fridge right now. Mmmmm!

The Common Grill is better than just okay. Their speciality is fish and they do it both well and creatively. It's not white hot cutting edge cuisine like you might see in one of the big cities on the coast, but it's always fresh and put together with unexpected but delightful ingredients.

Another 'special occasion' restaurant is Cousin's Heritage Inn in Dexter (between Ann Arbor and Chelsea). If you want game meat, that's the place to go. Venison, bear, elk, etc. , again creatively prepared. It's a little historic home and very charming, with white linens and expert staff. Super spot for a romantic dinner.

Zingerman's does all sorts of stuff now. They have a Bakehouse on the south side of town to showcase their baked goods, and a new sit-down restaurant called the Roadhouse which is new enough to need a few kinks worked out before it comes up to par with the rest of Zingerman's offerings. Zing also now makes their own butter and cheese and gelato, the latter of which is uber-expensive but might just be worth it.

Ann Arbor is a great town for eating. Lots of interesting and high quality restaurants here and in the surrounding communities.

Ah - I am re-reading the opening post in this thread and noting the budget consideration. While Ann Arbor is a great town for eating, it is not a great town for eating cheaply.

I might suggest Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burgers. It's not right downtown, but you can walk there from downtown easily. Corner of S. Divison and Packard.

The other hidden gem is Le Dog. They are only open for lunch and only weekdays and it's take out. However, they have the best lobster bisque you will ever have. Soup is their *thing* and it is all fantastic. They have hot dogs too, but trust me, have the soup. They're located on Main Street, in the block between Liberty and William. The place is tucked into a little oh, I guess you'd call it an arcade (not Nichols Arcade, for those who know that landmark). If you find a store call Mezzanine, you've found the right building. 306 S. Main Street. Also, the original location is still open at 410 E. Liberty.

Ah - I am re-reading the opening post in this thread and noting the budget consideration.  While Ann Arbor is a great town for eating, it is not a great town for eating cheaply.

I respectfully disagree. I actually think the cheap places in Ann Arbor are among its best. You'll noticed that none of the usual suspects on Main St makes my list - they're adequate restaurants, but not especially interesting and the QPR (quality: price ratio) isn't great.

Summarizing my favorite cheap eats from the list above: Earthen Jar, Jeruselum Garden, Le Dog, Sabor Latino, Bev's Carribean Kitchen, Kosmo Deli, Blimpy Burger. You can easily eat for under $10/person at any of those, often less.

Jefferson Market is maybe at touch more expensive than $10/person but the QPR is through the roof!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Respectful disagreeing is good! And I agree that for QPR, Main Street is largely to be avoided.

Others I thought of:

Red Hawk on State: their food is pretty creative and always good. In the $10 lunch range, dinner a bit more.

Kabob Palace on William: The shwarma in particular is quite good and their portions are huge for the price.

Do you have experience with Big World Bakery, tammylc? I've only been there a handful of times, but have friends that swear by it.

Red Hawk on State: their food is pretty creative and always good.  In the $10 lunch range, dinner a bit more.

Do you have experience with Big World Bakery, tammylc?  I've only been there a handful of times, but have friends that swear by it.

And Sam Iam - I agree that Blue Nile is an excellent splurge!  I don't drink beer, but their spice tea is really yummy (and can be bought in dried form to make at home for about $6, last I recall).

I second the suggestion of Red Hawk. I had their "French Countryside Sub" (or something close to that name) recently which was great - herbed goat cheese, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, red onions, lettuce, balsalmic vinagrette. We don't get there often enough (partly because it tends to be really busy when the students are around).

I have not been to Big World Bakery.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

• 5 weeks later...

New poster here, but long-time Ann Arbor resident.

I second the recommendation on Sabor Latino -- the tacos are good, and relatively cheap, and I eat them a lot. It isn't the true al pastor experience, because our health department wouldn't let them cook the meat the proper way, but it's still good stuff. (The idea of slices of marinated raw meat, layered with onions and sometimes pineapple, cooked on a big rotating skewer that works like one of those gyros machines, freaked out the health inspectors. They'd probably get away with it in an area with a larger Latino population, where there's better cultural awareness.)

I can also tell you that Big World bakery is good. Great challah (I prefer it over Zingerman's), and their handmade version of -- one of those Hostess things, Ding-Dongs, maybe -- are amazing.

For Ethiopian, though, I'd go to Red Sea, out in Ypsilanti, rather than the Blue Nile. The flavors are bolder (MUCH bolder based on a recent visit to Blue Nile; either it's gotten milder or our expectations are higher), Ethiopians tell us it's more authentic, and it's cheaper. And there's a wider variety of dishes. And you can order individual ones, or combinations, as you please. Coming from Ann Arbor, go out Washtenaw, and it's in the shopping strip on the right after Dairy Queen. Seriously -- if you like Blue Nile, you should really try Red Sea.

Welcome to eGullet, jm! I get to A² only two or three times a year, so I really appreciate being able to draw on knowledgeable resources like you, tammylc, and mitten.

If you haven't already, I suggest browsing the Heartland Gathering thread to see the great time you can have at next year's gathering (I hope).