• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Mint Julep

donk79

David:

Are there "artifacts" of the Wenham Lake recipes that you allude to?

If so, do they fall into the category of "ephemera" like the free booklets and "necker"s we've come to know (and love) Stateside, or are they buried in contemporary 'cookery books' etc?

myers

I've only seen the recipes collected in books.

And mmm--champagne julep. This thread made me very thirsty for a proper julep, even though it's 40-odd degrees and raining here, so I had to make one of the ones described above. Lordy, lordy. One wonders how Americans got anything done at all with such temptations lurking beside the path.

Edited to correct subsimian typing.

Edited by Splificator (log)

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

That said, my ideal Julep requires a simple 10-step procedure.

1. In a sturdy 8-oz tumbler, dissolve 2 teaspoons powdered Demerara sugar in 1/2 oz water.

2. Insert a couple sprigs of mint, stems upward, and lightly press the leaves in the sugar-water mix (okay, it's a syrup--or a julep).

3. Remove the mint and discard.

4. Fill the glass with cracked ice, as cold as can be.

5. Add 3 oz XO-grade cognac and stir again.

6. Cover the glass with a small mixing tin, seal and shake well.

7. Break the seal and pour the liquid and ice from the tin into the glass.

8. Add a little more ice, to make up the volume (it will have sunk because of melting), stir once more, and float 1/2 oz Inner Circle 115-proof rum on top.

9. Insert 3-4 sprigs of mint and a straw.

10. Then smile.

At work today I test-ran a julep very similar to this, it was wonderful. Used Covoursier XO and Appleton Extra. I don't know how else to differentiate this from a modern Bourbon Julep, so I like to call this one a 'Planters Julep'. Thanks for the recipe; this may make the summertime list.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

some one claimed i made all these drinks from beer which i don't... but whatever, a newspaper wanted a drink and a picture to go with it so i made the best of it and took inspiration from this thread....

tlaxcala verde

in a 16oz canning jar....

spoon full of anejo (only enough for flavor)

1/2 oz. agave nectar

1/2 oz. lime juice

some sprigs of mint....

muddle it all gently....add ice....

top with indigenous mexican beer (tecate)

the spoon full of anejo saves the day flavor wise. the ice keeps what is already cold super cold.... it turned out to be a good way to save a boring beer.... i wasn't too into it but i got an over whelmingly positive response. especially for the canning jar and the esoteric nature of everything....

cheers.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Splificator: You say that the non-bourbon Julep died off around the American Civil War, but do you really mean 1862, as in the publication of Jerry Thomas' book? Was the influence of Jerry Thomas' book so great that other older recipes were seen as less valid, and therefore were discarded?

A Georgia gentleman of my recent acquaintance told me that his father still makes some, as do various and sundry other individuals in the state. None for commerce, though, not as far as I know. Pity. Is Matthew Rowley still around here? He'd know more about the non-commercial aspects of this, as he's just published an excellent book on home distilling.

I am still around, David ~ although between work and speaking these days, I'm a bit scarce online. Re: domestic peach brandy - there is a lot still made, though most of the examples I know of are from the southeast, northwest and southern California.

Cooler mountain areas seem to have a deeper tradition of making them, but be aware that just because some of this handcranked liquor is called "peach brandy" doesn't mean that's it's what you or I would categorize as peach brandy.

It's not uncommon for sugar spirits to be spiked with peach flavoring (your tongue can tell the difference) as well as macerations of peaches in some other liquor to parade about under the name of "peach brandy" especially in rural areas where there's more concern about the fineness and potency of the final product than quibblings about what to call it. If you find someone making the real McCoy, by all means do your best to get some - peach and apple brandies are some of the most venerable in American folk distilling traditions and you stand a good chance of finding some tasty versions.

On the other hand, if you find peach brandy in the city, chances are strong that you've got the real deal because home distillers show a marked tendency to revive older recipes and pursue obscure authentic ingredients. Hmmmmm...wandering off-topic here, so let me bend the conversation back to juleps.

Best juelp I ever had was in Kirksville, Missouri, and made by the same gentlemen who introduced me to his family's appplejack about 20 years back. There's actually a film lurking around the net of me making a mint julep using - heresy - a frying pan. I'd just moved into my house last June in San Diego and had the barest battery of kitchen and bar supplies - not even the bed had come yet. But the director insisted on shooting a segment of me doing something I did to unwind. Somehow books and alcohol came up.

No ice crusher on hand, so the ice cubes went into a bag and got hammered with a frying pan to get the best crushed ice we could muster under the circumstances, while the mint came from a derelict garden at the side of the house. Not one of my finer moments, but as I sit here in an airport in Kansas City, I find myself hankering a breakfast julep as soon as I get back to clear skies, palm trees, and a garden that still needs tending. Peach or whiskey, though, is going to plague me until the ice hits that silver cup.

Thanks, by the way, for the kind words on the book.

Matthew

MoonshineArchives at gmail.com

Matthew B. Rowley

Rowley's Whiskey Forge, a blog of drinks, food, and the making thereof

Author of Moonshine! (ISBN: 1579906486)

I wonder if the folks at Clear Creek or Bonny Doon could be convinced to put some of their peach eau de vie into barrels for a year or two. Dave: how long is peach brandy usually aged?

--

I wonder if the folks at Clear Creek or Bonny Doon could be convinced to put some of their peach eau de vie into barrels for a year or two.  Dave: how long is peach brandy usually aged?

Interesting. I wasn't aware of Bonny Doon's new Eau de Vies.

The cherry is definitely aged 13 years.

A cherry spirit aged over 13 years in cherry wood barrels [originally produced for balsamico tradizionale] is profoundly rare and indeed, this is the only example with which we are familiar. The barrel aging certainly provides a sweet, mellow glow to the spirit, though the perfume of the fruit remains front and center.

They imply aging on the Peach; but, don't say how long.

The aging of spirits – particularly grape and apple spirits – in oak barrels is quite common and well understood. Long term aging of fruit brandies in glass or stainless steel is practiced less often, though it nonetheless yields very noticeable effects. What we notice is not so much an evolution of fragrance during aging, but an expansion and finer delineation of perfume. This is particularly noticeable for spirits produced from fermented stone fruits such as peaches, plums and apricots, and indeed, this peach eau de vie is not so much complex as explosively aromatic.

And on the Raspberry Eau de Vie page:

This is quite different though no less distinctive than our aged cherry and peach spirits. In this case we have distilled the raspberries macerated in a high proof neutral grape spirit whereas the other two spirits are distilled from fermented fruit. This is a more digitally detailed brandy compared to the warm, exotic cherry and the explosive peach.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I get the impression that Bonny Doon is "aging" it's peach eau de vie in stainless steel rather than wood.

Yeah, me too, though they don't say specifically. Given that they mention glass, it may well just have been sitting in bottles in a warehouse somewhere.

I've dropped them a note, and will report back, if I get any further information.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

this thread caught my eye because I have agreed to make some mint juleps for friends on Derby Day. I've never really done this before, so I bought some mint and I have some bourbon. (Jim Beam). I want to experiment before the "big day" and I am looking for a recipe/method.

I've seen some that say to muddles mint leaves with some sugar to make a paste, then fill glass with ice and add bourbon. Maybe a splash of water. Something like that. Others seem to employ a mint infused simple syrup (made at home) with the only fresh mint being used to garnish.

What do you suggest ? is there another thread that gets into these specific detail a little more? I don't have fancy julep cups, nor do I plan to acquire any. These needs to saty fairly simple. Bourbon, mint, ice, some form of sweetener.. Is that all I need?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

this thread caught my eye because  I have agreed to make some mint juleps for friends on Derby Day.  I've never really done this before, so I bought some mint and I have some bourbon.  (Jim Beam).  I want to experiment before the "big day"  and I am looking for a recipe/method.

I've seen some that say to muddles mint leaves with some sugar to make a paste, then fill glass with ice and add bourbon.  Maybe a splash of water.  Something  like that.  Others seem to employ a mint infused simple syrup (made at home)  with the only fresh mint being used to garnish.

What do you suggest ?  is there another thread that gets into these specific detail a little more?  I don't have fancy julep cups, nor do I plan to acquire any.  These needs to saty fairly simple.  Bourbon, mint, ice, some form of sweetener..  Is that all I need?

That's pretty much it, just be sure that the ice you're using is crushed ice. You want the drink to be as cold as possible.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

this thread caught my eye because  I have agreed to make some mint juleps for friends on Derby Day.  I've never really done this before, so I bought some mint and I have some bourbon.  (Jim Beam).  I want to experiment before the "big day"  and I am looking for a recipe/method.

I've seen some that say to muddles mint leaves with some sugar to make a paste, then fill glass with ice and add bourbon.  Maybe a splash of water.  Something  like that.  Others seem to employ a mint infused simple syrup (made at home)  with the only fresh mint being used to garnish.

What do you suggest ?  is there another thread that gets into these specific detail a little more?  I don't have fancy julep cups, nor do I plan to acquire any.  These needs to saty fairly simple.  Bourbon, mint, ice, some form of sweetener..  Is that all I need?

Its a good thing that you thought to ask!-)

Never muddle mint into a paste, for Juleps or Mojitos, the Mint leaves just need to be gently bruised, to release the flavours. Remember its a cocktail not pesto!-)

I don't think I need to recommend any more recipes, as there are plenty in this thread already.

Just to clear a few things up... Rye and bourbon are two different kinds of whiskey, the former being (mostly) rye-based and the latter being (mostly) corn-based. Rittenhouse is a rye whiskey brand which is sold at several ages and alcoholic strengths (and prices!). The most popular Rittenhouse bottling among cocktailians is "bottled in bond" (see note) -- also called "bonded" -- which is 100 proof.

One of the things we're talking about in this thread is that any base spirit may be used in a julep. At some point in time an orthodoxy and mythology grew up around bourbon and Kentucky with respect to the julep, although per some of the posts above, neither of these things appear to be true from a historical standpoint.

I've been drinking rye juleps lately, made with Rittenhouse bonded or Wild Turkey rye, and have liked them very much. Both are 100 proof spirits, and I have found that higher proof spirits work well in a julep. Wild Turkey 101 bourbon would also make a nice "traditional" julep. On the other hand, Dave recommends a julep made with cognac and a float of 151 proof rum. I've had that one as well, and it is very nice indeed. Laird's bonded applejack is good too. If you're in a mind to explore the julep further and step away from brown spirits, I am very fond of gin juleps (again, using something higher proof like Tanqueray or Junipero), and a genever julep is a great change of pace. Er... I wouldn't recommend a vodka julep, but most everything else is fair game.

Note: "Bottled in Bond" refers to American spirits produced according to the Bottled Bond Act of 1894. This is a way to avoid paying excise tax until the spirits are aged and ready for sale, and was also originally indended to ensure that the spirit was actually what it claimed to be (adulteration and faking being a common problem at that time). Bonded spirits are aged no less than four years in a government bonded warehouse and must be bottled at proof (50% abv).

--

Actually, it's 115-proof rum. Quibble I must.

And I've found that just about any bourbon on the market will make a perfectly toothsome Julep.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

I've seen some that say to muddles mint leaves with some sugar to make a paste, then fill glass with ice and add bourbon.  Maybe a splash of water.   Something  like that.  Others seem to employ a mint infused simple syrup (made at home)  with the only fresh mint being used to garnish.

What do you suggest ?  is there another thread that gets into these specific detail a little more?  I don't have fancy julep cups, nor do I plan to acquire any.  These needs to saty fairly simple.  Bourbon, mint, ice, some form of sweetener..   Is that all I need?

Its a good thing that you thought to ask!-)

Never muddle mint into a paste, for Juleps or Mojitos, the Mint leaves just need to be gently bruised, to release the flavours. Remember its a cocktail not pesto!-)

Hmm.. Ok. That's interesting. After doing some reading, (here and elsewhere) it seems as if lots of recipes suggest just that. Make a paste. So, that's what I did. I didn't have crushed ice at home (just the standard ice maker ice), so I used what I had.

The drink was essentially all bourbon with a somewhat sweet, slightly minty taste to it. If I don't make a paste out of the mint, won't I get *less* mint flavor? Also, I am going to assume that having bits of mint floating around in the drink is OK? I've never had a mint julep before until I made one myself. I don't have a target to shoot for.

Jeff, I'd suggest it's possible that, since you made the drink with a paste of mint and used regular ice, it's not surprizing you were underwhelmed.

IMO, aggressive muddling of the mint extracts bitter flavors and, as you observed, leads to little bits of mint floating around in the drink. Better to lightly bruise the mint and use a lot of mint sprigs as a garnish.

As for using straight ice cubes instead of crushed, it seems to me that it isn't a julep without crushed ice and you're missing a crucial part of the game if the ice isn't crushed. This isn't difficult to do, by the way. No special tools are required. Just wrap a whole bunch of ice in a tea towel and whack it with a hammer, meat mallet, muddler, or even a cast iron skillet, until the ice is pulverised. Voila! Crushed ice.

--

Jeff, I'd suggest it's possible that, since you made the drink with a paste of mint and used regular ice, it's not surprizing you were underwhelmed.

IMO, aggressive muddling of the mint extracts bitter flavors and, as you observed, leads to little bits of mint floating around in the drink.  Better to lightly bruise the mint and use a lot of mint sprigs as a garnish.

As for using straight ice cubes instead of crushed, it seems to me that it isn't a julep without crushed ice and you're missing a crucial part of the game if the ice isn't crushed.  This isn't difficult to do, by the way.  No special tools are required.  Just wrap a whole bunch of ice in a tea towel and whack it with a hammer, meat mallet, muddler, or even a cast iron skillet, until the ice is pulverised.  Voila!  Crushed ice.

I tried to crush the ice myself using a skillet, but didn't have much luck. :hmmm:

I'll buy a bag of ice from the grocery store. that has smaller pieces. I can probably crush that nore easily. Then, I'll give the technique of not muddling so much a try. I assume I still do it with sugar? (and should it be regular granulated or superfine??).

A catch to all of this is that it seems the size of the group I am making them for is growing. I've seen some recipes that suggest infusing some borbon with mint. That would make for quick work in cranking out a bunch of drinks in short order.

Edit to add: I am making these in "standard" double old fashioned glasses. I'll buy some straws and cut them down. But it seems like even if I pack the glass with ice, it's going to be a very "boozy" drink. :biggrin:

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

But it seems like even if I pack the glass with ice, it's going to be a very "boozy" drink.

To quote Woody Allen, "you say that like it's a bad thing."

aka David Wondrich

But it seems like even if I pack the glass with ice, it's going to be a very "boozy" drink.

To quote Woody Allen, "you say that like it's a bad thing."

ha... It's not.. At least, not for me.. :wub:

I'm just worried that some may not like it or that some will get totally smashed off of one. It seems that with the size glass I am using (the smallest one I have, really), it's going to be several ounces of bourbon. That's a pretty big drink. :cool:

I'm just worried that some may not like it or that some will get totally smashed off of one.  It  seems that with the size glass I am using (the smallest one I have, really), it's going to be several ounces of bourbon. That's a pretty big drink. 

Everything you say is true. The authentic Julep is a drink from the Heroic Age of American Tippling, and as such is not for novices. That's perhaps the chief reason it's fallen out of favor in these weak-livered times.

One possible solution is to offer a nice Sherry Julep to those unable to withstand strong drink--that way, they'll be able to share in the ritual in a kids' table sort of way without succumbing to its very real adult dangers.

aka David Wondrich

Everything you say is true. The authentic Julep is a drink from the Heroic Age of American Tippling, and as such is not for novices. That's perhaps the chief reason it's fallen out of favor in these weak-livered times.

One possible solution is to offer a nice Sherry Julep to those unable to withstand strong drink--that way, they'll be able to share in the ritual in a kids' table sort of way without succumbing to its very real adult dangers.

Except the odds of novices enjoying Sherry (at least in my personal experience) are even slimmer than that of enjoying bourbon juleps.

Unless you want to spend the party making juleps to order, I would suggest the following: Soak a bunch of washed mint (and maybe a couple of lemon peels) overnight in the liquid from a 1.75 liter bottle of bourbon. Say, the regular Evan Williams. Strain it out, put the bourbon back in the bottle, and chill in the fridge. Have a big batch of mint flavored simple syrup (2 parts water to 1 part sugar) ready and also chilled. Day of the party, fill cup with ice, 2 oz bourbon, top with 1 oz light simple (or to taste,) stir, garnish with mint sprigs.

It's not really a julep; but, will likely be the best bourbon punch your guests have ever had.

edit - reconsidered one instruction.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I won't worry about it too much. The last time I did something like this was with margartias. Most people are used to drinking a margarita that's made with some commerical mix with a shot of [bad] tequila added to it. Like 10 ounces of mix and and ounce and a half of liquor. Maybe even tossed into the blender with a ton of ice and blended. When I got them to drink a proper margarita with some fresh lime juice, good tequila and a triple sec, served UP, some complained about how "strong" they were. :)

I've seen some mint julep recipes that call for a decent amount of simple syrup relative to the amount of bourbon. That would yield a sweet drink for sure. Probably to the liking of many, as it seems really sweet "specialty" drinks is what you get in so many bars these days. But not ever having a proper mint julep before, I'm not sure if it's *supposed* to be a sweet drink. I tend to think that it's NOT supposed to be that way.

Hmm.. Ok.  That's interesting.  After doing some reading, (here and elsewhere)  it seems as if lots of recipes suggest just that. Make a paste.  So, that's what I did.  I didn't have crushed ice at home (just the standard ice maker ice), so I used what I had.

Strange. I haven't found any references to muddling mint into a paste on the internet. Perhaps you are assuming that "muddling" a cocktail is the same thing as using a pestle and mortar, whereby you reduce the ingredients into a paste. This exposes the flaw in most recipes, people try to be concise, and not over complicate, but it is times like this when exactness is needed.

The best methods, that I recommend, to get the best of your mint into your juleps, are as follows (use just one method):

1. soak some mint leaves in the bourbon you will be using for the Juleps. Remove the mint once the bourbon is really (24 hours, or less).

2. soak some mint leaves into some freshly prepared sugar syrup (if there is still some warmth in the syrup, then I find this is better than cold syrup).

3. Slight bruising of the mint using a muddler, gentle tapping with the implement will be enough. Do not let the mint leaves tear or become disfigured, usually caused by grinding with the wood.

4. Just place the mint in the glass, and add all other ingredients, along with the crushed ice. Then mix the concoction, either by shaking it, or by churning with the flatend of a professional barspoon (the one with the flat disc on one end, and a rifled shaft).

Some Julep recipes list granulated sugar, but surely it has to be syrup for a Julep.

Has anyone tried blending bourbon, homemade mint syrup, and crushed ice? It would still be a Julep right? Decorate with mint sprig. Hell you could even throw in some fruit before blending. It could be bigger than the Banana Daiquiri or Strawberry Margarita? Papaya Juleps? Durian Juleps? the possibilities are endless :biggrin:

Edited by ThinkingBartender (log)