• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rubs, Brines & Marinades

Toliver

How do you feel about the use of rubs, brines or marinades? Do you consider them an insult to a good cut of meat? Or do they have a place?

And do you ever use rubs, marinades or brines yourself and, if so, would you care to share your favorites with us?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Hi. Thanks for the question. I do think that brines and marinades have their place, (I love brined turkey!). I'm more of a purest when it comes to steaks and chops but for pork and longer cooked meats, I have no trouble with it.

Favorite rub...mix dark brown sugar, tablespoon chopped garlic, tablespoon dried marjoram, tablespoon kosher salt, tablespoon fresh ground pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice.

EL