• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oysters

snausages2000

What's your favorite oyster oasis in the city?

I love oysters, but I find myself wary to try them, unless I'm at a place I completely trust.

(Kosher grandparents put the fear of God, and Hepatitis, in my shellfish loving heart)

I've had great oysters at Blue Water Grill (East and West Coast varieties) and Pastis but a dozen will run you $24 and $30 respectively.

Is there a secret oyster paradise where you can slurp without quite the wallet drain?

(PS - To those who helped me with the brunch ideas, thank you, and I'll report results as they come...)

Try Aqua Grill on the corner of Spring and 6th. Always a very impressive selction of oysters that are incredibly fresh. It's great to sit at the bar (very tiny) and sample the offerings. I think they also have a sample platter where you get one of every oyster being offered.

This isn't going to help you out in the city, but I feel that this is a good place to put the info anyway. At the Chowder Pot III off of exit 56 on I-95 (I think it's Branford) you can get a dozen Blue Points opened while you watch (if you sit at the bar) for $9.95. That's the best deal I know of beside buying them and bringing them home to open. I just had a dozen last Sunday. They have always been fresh and flavorful in my experience. I think they are as reasonable as they are because Connecticut Shellfish is about a hundred yards away.

Try City Hall in Tribeca. They have a good selection on the half shell and also do a really nice pan-roast. Unlike the Oyster Bar in Grand Central, you can do well with the rest of the menu too, injcluding some killer burgers.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Go to the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station.  Get a bunch of raw oysters and an oyster pan roast.  These are consistently excellent.  Stay away from everything else.

I'd take issue with that. Around about the last week in May every year, they offer the new herring from Holland and it's eminently worth having for the two weeks or so that it lasts. The oysters are good. Aqua Grill is very good for oysters and I guess now that smoking is no longer permitted at the bar, I'd probably perfer eating oysters at the bar to dinner at a table, but I have augmented the oysters from time to time with an appetizer or two. Balthazar probably has the same supplier as Patis.

If I found a place in Manhattan where the price of oysters didn't strain and drain my wallet, I'd be scared to eat them, but if you find such a place, tell me about it--the next day.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

If I found a place in Manhattan where the price of oysters didn't strain and drain my wallet, I'd be scared to eat them, but if you find such a place, tell me about it--the next day.

I have to agree with that. Cheap oysters are right up there with all-you-can-eat sushi on my list of restaurant experiences best avoided.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Fish, on bleecker, has an oyster special.. something like $8 for half a dozen oysters and a beer or glass of house wine..

The one time I went to Fish, I had a bad oyster and perhaps the worst crawfish boil ever. I'm not sure which of the two was worse. The bad oyster prevented me from leaving the house the next day and a half, but the crawfish boil was memorable for its total lack of seasoning and flavor. I can't really excuse either problem in a restaurant named "Fish."

I think Blue Ribbon in Brooklyn and Manhattan has two of the best raw bars in the city. But they aren't cheap.

In NYCity, I have had wonderful oysters at Balthazar and I think even better at Gramercy Tavern, but there is the price issue. The Grand Central Oyster Bar has good quality oysters if it's packed, but the last time I was there I watched the bartender pick the oysters from the ice while all the shuckers were just hanging around and I could tell by the taste that the oysters had been open for some time.

Beside opening them myself, I think being at the door at the Union Oyster House, in Boston when they open in the morning, is the best place for good oysters between NY and Boston. Please do not go there for dinner and expect freshly opened oysters, cause that just won't happen! Be there when they open the doors and go get a seat at the bar. That is what eating oysters is all about and if you don't like them then, you have to find another passion in your life!

HC

• 2 weeks later...

On any day when the weather is nice, go to Arthur Avenue, to either Randazzo's or Cosenza's. They're both high-volume well-priced seafood markets that have outdoor raw bars. This is how oysters are supposed to be eaten.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

On any day when the weather is nice, go to Arthur Avenue, to either Randazzo's or Cosenza's. They're both high-volume well-priced seafood markets that have outdoor raw bars. This is how oysters are supposed to be eaten.

Where is this?

Bruce

Take the 4 or the D to Fordham Road in the Bronx. From there, take the #12 bus east--the top of Arthur Avenue is one block past the White Castle on the right. If you follow Arthur Avenue south, there are many restaurants, bakeries, shops etc.--its nickname is "The Little Italy of the Bronx."

A search for "Arthur Avenue" on this site would yield many recommendations (Roberto's!), or go to arthuravenuebronx.com for more info. It's a great area--highly recommended.

Now I have yet another reason to go back--Fat Guy, thanks for the tip!

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

• 4 years later...

It's hard to beat the Aquagrill in NYC. A huge choice, but since I prefer cold water oysters it makes selecting easier.

Depending on where you are, you might want to try Arthur's Landing, which is just on the NJ side of the Lincoln Tunnel, right on the water. They have a bar special on Wednesdays, $1.00 per oyster. They are usually Bluepoints or Willamette's. Also 1/2 price champagne by the glass, though that is not my first choice at this wonderful bar with the incredible view.

BTW, I have been eating oysters at Arthur's for years, and I trust this place.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Lure Fishbar (as mentioned above by Nathan) on Mercer St. also does $1 oysters from 5 - 7 PM, during their happy hour. The rest of their happy hour menu looks good and quite reasonable as well - click.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Fish, on bleecker, has an oyster special.. something like $8 for half a dozen oysters and a beer or glass of house wine..

The one time I went to Fish, I had a bad oyster and perhaps the worst crawfish boil ever. [...]

I think Blue Ribbon in Brooklyn and Manhattan has two of the best raw bars in the city. But they aren't cheap.

Juuceman and I have had similar experiences. I had a bad oyster at Fish; the only good part of the experience is that I learned what a bad oyster smells and tastes like. I can second his comments on Blue Ribbon--in fact, Blue Ribbon in Manhattan was where I first ate an oyster. The Manhattan branch is frequently very crowded, and both locations are pricey.

As others have stated, the Oyster Bar in Grand Central has a large selection of oysters at good prices. I think many of the other dishes are a little too much, although I have a soft spot in my heart for the shrimp cocktail. It's closed on Sundays.