• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me with a dinner menu?

MatthewB

i was looking for a topic board where suggestions could be given, like on epicurious where you give list of ingredients or menu ideas, but in return, someone(s) will help to bring your recipe ideas to fruition. i thought that i would ask the masses a question here, and see what thoughts could be given. and if this is the wrong place, just let me know.

i made an onion soup (french, is there another way?) this saturday, and we are tired of it after 2 meals. what else could i do with the rest of it? and for the record we went to the hideous super-sized club store the other day and stocked up, so freezing isn't an option at this point.

so what can i do with the rest of the soup, i have a quart and pint in the fridge. bread? strain out the onions and put on a pizza? reduce it down and thicken to a gravy for mashed potatoes? salisbury steak? (<---never even eaten that, just seen pictures of it in the frozen food aisle.)

if anyone has an idea, its greatly appreciated.

sure it isn't healthy, but why deny oneslf?

so what can i do with the rest of the soup, i have a quart and pint in the fridge. bread? strain out the onions and put on a pizza?  reduce it down and thicken to a gravy for mashed potatoes? salisbury steak? (<---never even eaten that, just seen pictures of it in the frozen food aisle.)

Make a pot roast and use the soup as the braising liquid.

Make rice using the soup as the liquid.

so what can i do with the rest of the soup, i have a quart and pint in the fridge. bread? strain out the onions and put on a pizza?  reduce it down and thicken to a gravy for mashed potatoes? salisbury steak? (<---never even eaten that, just seen pictures of it in the frozen food aisle.)

Mix the onion soup w/ mashed potatoes & make croquettes.

Mix the onion soup w/ mashed potatoes & make croquettes.

Great idea.

Or just make mashed pototoes using the pureed soup as your liquid.

I think the potato suggestions are on the mark. French Onion soup tends to lean towards the salty side of the palate and potatoes should be ideal to help counter this.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Just remember that the onion soup will need to be greatly reduced to pull off the croquettes.

Or pull the pot roast that you picked up from the club, roast it, & do gualojote's mashed potatoes w/ onion soup for the puree. Load sliced pot roast on top of the oniony mashed potatoes.

• 4 weeks later...

I have another question. I went to the Asian grocery store and bought 8 peppers called "Red Long Hot" and a bunch of jalapenos. For less than 2 dollars, gawd I love Super H!!

But now what do I do? I know that the chile peppers will keep for a while, but I would really like to use alot of them up. I thought about roasting them with some red peppers to take off the skins, but then what?? Moreover, there are only two of us.

I have another question. I went to the Asian grocery store and bought 8 peppers called "Red Long Hot" and a bunch of jalapenos. For less than 2 dollars, gawd I love Super H!!

But now what do I do? I know that the chile peppers will keep for a while, but I would really like to use alot of them up. I thought about roasting them with some red peppers to take off the skins, but then what?? Moreover, there are only two of us.

Why would you skin them? Were you thinking of stuffing them?

Just leave the ones that you don't use and let them dry out. When you want to use them, sock them and then roast them.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I was going to roast them so perhaps the flavor would be a bit sweeter, or this was my thought pattern.

Then maybe cut them up and layer with other veggies or such and use a custard mixture, then bake it, or maybe in a stir fry

Or maybe I could stuff them, though seems messy. I live in the city, with an urban size kitchen.

Maybe it is my craziness, but I would only want to dry them out and store them if I have a) grew them myself or b) if they were farmer's market variety. Is that so wrong??

Maybe it is my craziness, but I would only want to dry them out and store them if I have a) grew them myself or b) if they were farmer's market variety. Is that so wrong??

Welcome to eGullet, rachiesarah.

Not wrong at all, but perhaps she was wondering why there was a rush to use all of them considering that this is an ingredient where a little goes a long way (unless you happen to be a chilehead like =Mark, in which case the more = the merrier. :blink: Or something like that. I think.)

Soba