• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Cheese Shop

pho

There are a couple of places in Niagara that deserve mention.

Olson Foods & Bakery in Port Dalhousie (Anna Olson of "Sugar" fame) has a terrific selection of cheeses, especially from Quebec. By the way, the last time I spoke with Anna, she mentioned an intensive one-day cheesemaking course in Eastern Ontario that she and her husband had taken that sounded wonderful. Here's the link: Glengarry Cheesemaking & Dairy Supply

DeLuca's in Niagara-on-the-Lake also had a fine selection the last time I was there.

There is a new cheesemaker (!!) who is going to be opening in September in Jordan, just off the highway and near Harbour Estates Winery.

Finally, there is a cheese vendor at the St. Catharines and Pelham farmer's markets who sells a nice selection of the stinky gold.

is etobicoke the burbs?

cheese boutique on ripley is worth the trip (which is formidable if you don't have an auto and live downtown) it's near the meeting og the queensway/kingsway

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

The only good guide to finding cheese in Ont. on eg is Gremolata, and it is Toronto centered. I find it difficult to find nice cheeses, and not so nice, in the burbs.

Any suggestions?

Recently I found a decent Stilton at Costco, but it is gone now.  They just brought in a Bridel Brie at $13/kg, worth a shot...

Drive to the St. Lawrence once a month - I almost do and it's 2 hours +

is etobicoke the burbs?

cheese boutique on ripley is worth the trip (which is formidable if you don't have an auto and live downtown) it's near the meeting og the queensway/kingsway

cheese boutique has my vote too. afrim, one of the owners, is one of the most passionate cheese people I've ever met. great customer service. I can't go in without spending at least an hour

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cheese Boutique would FedEX you a styrofoam box if you asked. Of course, this would not be cheap! And maybe this isn't the best weather...

La Fromagerie is a new small cheese store, and I bet they would also be willing to send you an order one way or another - ask for Hazel.

Of course there is always Andy Shay's Shay Cheese, which delivers throughout the province, but he's on hiatus for the summer.

Finally, why not approach producers directly? The Ontario Cheese Society has a list of member/producers. And there is a similar Quebec assoc. and site: www.routedesfromages.com, which seems to be down - see also Andy's column on visiting cheesemakers at Gremolata, here.

BTW: Yes, we are a little Toronto-centric at Gremolata, but we try not to be. I'll keep checking out this thread for info on good cheese shops in Ontario outside of the big smoke.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com