• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Romantic Birthday Dinner

OK...it's a romantic dinner for two in celebration of my birthday...We take the ferry from Bainbridge, so would prefer something within walking/short cab distance.

I've narrowed it down to Chez Shay (we ate their once years ago and I remember loving the atmosphere as well as our meal) or Rover's (which we have not yet been to).

Other thoughts?

Thanks!!

Charcoop@yahoo.com

Both places you mention are good candidates. I think that a window table at Maximilien is one of the most romantic dining spots in town, especially if you get there in time to catch the sunset.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Chez Shea is good, but I wouldn't say great. It is certainly romantic. Maximilien sounds like a good idea too. Rover's is 2.5 miles from the ferry dock. Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, how about Mistral?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

OK...testing my aging memory here...but I seem to remember reading/hearing something negative about the service/attitude at Mistral (when we first moved here last year) and it wasn't on my list. But, if you've had positive experiences I'm open to the idea. It does look lovely...

I guess I want a "sure thing" as this is my birthday and want the best food/service/atmosphere possible.

Picky, picky, picky...LOL

Also, it's fun to try new places....We've been to Herbfarm twice(yes, we love it and think we've figured out a way around the ridiculous cancellation policy).

We've been to Lamphreia too...also very good.

OK...testing my aging memory here...but I seem to remember reading/hearing something negative about the service/attitude at Mistral

Hmm. I can't imagine that. It's an elegant and gracious place with amazing food. But everyone has a bad night now and then.

It would be fun to hear your Herbfarm cancellation policy insights, if you care to share. :smile:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Ummmmmmmmmm well, I just looked at the menu for Maximilien...classical French...maybe similar to Rover's?  Which would you say is the better...if I go that route? 

I realize ChezShay is something entirely different...just remember loving my dinner there.

Maximilien is not a good as Rover's, but then again, not nearly as expensive either. Rover's does true haute cuisine, while Maximilien really does a refined version of bistro food.

Mistral would also be an excellent choice, with food quality and style more comparable to Rover's.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

In case you haven't hunted down the Mistral write-ups already, here's mine from my last anniversary. Includes pics which may give you a better idea of what to expect....

Tighe...your photos closed the deal for me!

Painful though it is....I think turning 55 (it's probably a mistake..I know I'm a lot younger!!) our evening at Mistral should do the trick!

What I especially like is the presentation and portion size. I'm not a big fan of globs of sauces on a plate. It just ain't right...LOL

Thanks again Tighe..I'm about to make my reservation!!!!

No pressure or anything, tighe.

Hey, I told you and Laurie that you should go to Le Gourmand and it sucked, so why wouldn't other people take my advice??? :blink:

The whole Noodle Boat thing worked out though......right?

What I especially like is the presentation and portion size.  I'm not a big fan of globs of sauces on a plate.  It just ain't right...LOL

I heartily disagree with you, but hey, different strokes for different folks. Just a tip though...don't ever go to Brasserie Margaux. It's one of my favorite places, but very saucy....

you won't be disappointed with the food at Mistral, however, for romantic atomsphere mmmmmm I'd say Rover's is better, Maximillians is the best. Its not bad at Mistral, but its a bit too 'open'.

(course, when I think romantic, I think dark, private booths/tables)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Anybody ever been to Cassis? We went once a few years ago and it was very good--but we haven't been back since moving a ferry commute away.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Anybody ever been to Cassis?  We went once a few years ago and it was very good--but we haven't been back since moving a ferry commute away.

Cassis is one of my fav's, but I wouldn't say it is particularly romantic. Too noisy for starters and the style of the food is more of the refined bistro variety rather than haute cuisine. If you do a search on this board, I think you will find a fair number of comments about Cassis.

I'm sticking with Mistral for the big B-Day dinner. I actually walked past it a few days ago and it looked smallish enough to be intimate and all your comments about the food/service have settled it for me.

Dinner is set for 9/27 and I'll be happy to report back if any one is interested. Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions!

charcoop@yahoo.com