• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Romantic Birthday Dinner

Dinner is set for 9/27 and I'll be happy to report back if any one is interested.

I'm certainly interested, specially because you're not going to Rover's. And anyway, taking notes during dinner is one sure-fire way to increase the romance.

Bruce

Well, he called to reconfirm our dining time and I gave my regards from the group here...He was very happy to know that you all hold him in such high regard...oh, and he's out of town for a few days and won't be cooking tonight. Hey, doesn't he know it's my birthday?....LOL

He assured me I won't be disappointed...

I'll write a review tomorow....Thanks again for all the advice !

FANTASTIC DINNER !!!

Mistral was all I had hoped for and much more. A brief recap......

Chef William arranged for complimentary glasses of champagne to begin our evening.

We chose the Chef's Tasting Menu with paired wines...the names of which I couldn't bring to mind in a million years...but I will say that they were all great....a Hungarian sherry-like drink with the fois gras...but, wait, let's start from the top:

Amouse Bouche was a tiny and delicate lobster salad with mango and watercress

Diver Scallop with Chanterelle mushroom and the smallest brussels sprouts I've ever seen (they must keep peeling them until they are tiny) served in a butternut squash broth-type soup (This course was the star of the evening!)

Seared Fois Fras with perfectly diced pineapple, slivers of prunes and cloaked in a Tahitian Vanilla sauce (for me, the vanilla made the overall taste just a little too sweet...especially with the pineapple). Fois gras is one of my favorite morsals..but I'm just being finicky..it was great..just not the way I most enjoy it.

Rack of Lamb of beyond perfect...

The Cheese course combined the delicate with the really stinky...two of each...and served with (always tiny and beautifully cut fruits and vegetables, by the way) figs (as well as bread)

Dessert was warm chocolate cake framed with ice cream and sorbets.

What I've written does not begin to do justice to the overall quality, presentation and ambience of the evening. This is a classy place that runs so smoothly you're barely aware of all the little extra things the staff does to make the evening enjoyable.

For instance...and older couple came in separately, the woman afraid they'd be late and she came in while her husband parked the car. A few minutes later an elderly gentleman can hurrying in and asked if they had change for the parking meter. The waiter quietly asked which stall he was parked in....offered the gentleman and chair...and said he would take care of it.

These little nice-ities seem to have disappeared for the most part...but are still very evident at Mistral.

We'll be back....and I thank all of you for the recommendation. So are Mistral is heads above any of the other restaurants we've visited since moving close to Seattle.

OK...testing my aging memory here...but I seem to remember reading/hearing something negative about the service/attitude at Mistral

Hmm. I can't imagine that. It's an elegant and gracious place with amazing food. But everyone has a bad night now and then.

It would be fun to hear your Herbfarm cancellation policy insights, if you care to share. :smile:

I apologize, MsRamsey...I didn't reply to you promptly re Herbfarm.

I first time we went we made the reservations well in advance. We worried the entire time that IF we had to cancel we would lose a king's ransom. So...for the second time...I waited until Friday for a Saturday reservation. I booked a room at Willows Lodge that could be cancelled by 4PM on Friday (as I recall). I then called Herbfarm and 'begged' for a table for the following night. I reminded them that I had dined there previously...and that I realized this was VERY last-minute...but we'd had a very difficult week and I really needed to 'surprise' my husband with something special. They not only 'found room' for us...but gave us a table for two..which is what I prefer and wasn't able to get on our first dinner. I think the point is to wait until the very last minute...where you are 99% sure you can actually GO...and try to get in. To book way ahead of time is way too stressful for me..and they are simply not going to change that cancellation policy.

I can understand those who simply won't put up with their attitude..but I've eaten in a few good restaurants in my lifetime....from Le Cirque and Jean George in New York to Charlie Trotters in Chicago and French Laundry in California.....and, for what it's worth...I find The Herbfarm experience a lot of fun and great food. Yes, of course it's ridiculously over-priced...especially when we add on the cost of the room at the inn across the driveway...but we think it's a great "twice a year" adventure.

We live in Poulsbo...and great dining experiences do not exisit over here...We love going to Seattle on the ferry...and an overnight trip is another treat....same reason we go to Cafe' Juanita. The Herbfarm certainly has it's flaws...but sue me...I like it....LOL

P.S.  My fingers were moving faster than my brain and I hit "send" before I had a chance to edit my post.  I apologize for the typos, etc.....I usually do a better job...LOL.

I just assumed is was the euphoria of the experience (plus the wines paired with each course :wink: ). I think the Hungarian wine you mentioned is Tokaij (sp?). They served it to my wife and I with the foie gras course also, beautiful pairing, even better than sauternes in my book.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks for the report, Char. I'm so glad you enjoyed it (but not surprised!). Do you know who was cooking in Chef William's place that evening?

I plan to go in December -- can't wait!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Yes, I agree on the Hungarian wine..it was a wonderful pairing.

No, I don't know who was doing the cooking that night...but I'll tell you...I can't imagine how it could have been better prepared.

Chef William said he'd be out of town for just a few days..by the way.

I'm sorry I didn't make note of the wines...I didn't bring pen/paper but there was a Mason Sauv.Blanc that was excellent.

So far we haven't eaten anywhere in Seattle that comes close to Mistral...but we have more to try. This is the fun part of moving to a new area!