• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hausbrandt coffee?

grandcru

While traveling in Friuli last month, the coffee of choice in most espresso bars was Hausbrandt, which, after doing a little digging, is a Trieste-based company founded back in the waning years of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Barista skills notwithstanding, the coffee is as rich and deep as any Illy, Lavazza, or other I've had. I know I haven't seen any of it out here on the Left Coast, but wondered if anyone back east can give any indication that the company has a US presence. Thanks for the assist.

Hausbrandt

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reviewed their web site. Certainly interesting and worth stacking up against Illy and LaVazza as a reference point but I still believe that domestically produced espresso blends and coffee from quality microroasters is the way to go. It's very difficult to know exactly when a bag of whole bean coffee that was shipped from Italy was actually roasted and packed. Buying from the right US based microroasters can assure the proprietor of serving coffee that is within that crucial 2 - 10 day time period after roasting, during which any fresh roasted coffee is capabel of yielding optimal results. Vacuum packing can slow down but not stop the chemical process by which coffee deteriorates after roasting.

That said... buying foil bags from a wholesaler is a good option for some shops who lack the expertise or resources needed to establish and maintain tight control over rotating inventory from a microroaster. I've actualy enjoyed the LaVazza I've had ins smoe cafes much more than the Illy and look froward to being able to try the Hausbrandt.