• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q: Whose food do you like?

As most people are aware, you have recieved much acclaim for your braised lamb shank recipe.  This seemed to be a dish that really struck a chord with the dining public, restaurant critics, and your fellow chefs.  Not only has the dish become ubiquitous across the country, but braising has a new-found popularity in American fine dining that can be traced to you as well.  My question is who are the chefs that impress you as having the potential to have this type of impact in the world of cuisine?  Who are the chefs that make you sit up and take notice, and what is it about their cooking that does so?  Finally, in your opinion which dish or type of cuisine will be the next "Lamb shank" of American dining?

Thanks in advance for your response.

I believe that any chef who has a firm foundation in classic French, Italian, Spanish, etc. cooking. No one has successfully reinvented 12-bar blues or 4 chord rock and roll, I think roots are vital. Taste memory, practical application, and cohesion of ingredients will always win out.

See above.

l don't think there is any one item, such as the lamb shank, that is going to be the 'hot new ingredient'. I think (I hope) that the aforementioned sensibility will prevail. I appreciate the intellectual exercises of many chefs, after all we're blessed with the best chefs in the world in NY, but when it comes down to a good, full, satisfying meal that 's where I think I'm happiest. I think we all need a little comfort right now.