• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to Make An Excellent Mutton Curry

Arunaputri

:smile:

Hello everyone,

I'm from Malaysia, of the Baba Nyonya ethnic (Malay+Chinese) and I'm a roti canai freak. I've been eating roti canai almost every morning ever since I was nine. It's Indian flatbread, using wheatflour, kneaded with water, salt and ghee/margarine, then kneaded to balls as big as a golf ball, left to sit overnight and voila! next, the formed balls will be transformed to a flat roti, using a process like how a pizza dough is made. Then, using some oil, the roti will be place on a flatpan to cook.

The roti canai are always served with dal or chicken/fish curry. My favourite curry happen to be mutton curry and at times, I will cook mutton curry and buy the roti canai from the Indian restaurant nearby. Now, can anyone help me with my mutton :unsure: ....how do I make them very tender? Can anyone provide me a good mutton curry recipe? I like them thick.

Thank you Suvir for recommending me to start a thread here.

"To know Malaysia is to love Malaysia"

Regards,

Arunaputri

C'mon Arunaputri,

You dont want us to tell you how to make mutton curry! We want YOUto tellUS. I have tasted the malasian muuton curry and LOVED it. I believe it had coconut milk, lemon grass, and used a curry powder mix which is a liitle different from the regular curry powder we get at the Indian stores here in the states.

My friend Swee, who ownes a Malasian/Chinese restataurant across the street from me ,tells me that the malasian curries are a fusion of Hindu, Muslim and Chinese cuisines as these are the predominant origional immigrants to malasia.

So please...

1. what's in your curry powder and

2 how do youmake your mutton curry ( the local way)

Thanks

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Thank you Suvir for recommending me to start a thread here.

"To know Malaysia is to love Malaysia"

Regards,

Arunaputri

Arunaputri, you are most welcome, though the pleasure is all selfishly mine.

Like the other voices thus far on this thread, I too want to learn from you.

Roti Canai and I are old friends. And those curries it is served with are delicious as delicious can get. Please do share some recipes with us.

You can click HERE to go to the thread Prasad mentions on cooking with goat meat.

Or HERE for another thread on lamb/goat.

Welcome to the Indian forum. It is going to be wonderful to learn from you just as much as maybe you can learn from this forum :smile:

• 1 month later...

Hello frenz,

:wub: Sorry for the late reply. I was away for almost two months.

Anyway, talking about curry powder, I'm using Baba's meat curry. I didn't notice the ingredient but there's surely chilli powder and coriander as well. Anyway, I'll go and check it for you guys. In the mean time, here's the recipe i use to cook mutton curry. I usually use yogurt replacing coconut milk in order to cut down my cholesterol level.

Mutton Curry

1 kg mutton chops (marinate 4 an hour with ginger to do away with its smell)

3 tablespoon Yogurt/Coconut milk

A

2 cinnamon sticks

5 cardamons

5 cloves

2 tspn aniseed, coarsely grounded

2 onions, sliced

a few sprig of curry leaves(i dunno wat u call 'em in your country...)

B

5 cloves of garlic

5cm piece of ginger

2 onions

5 green chillies

3 red chillies

C

4 tablespoon curry paste (mixture of ground chilli+ground coriander)

a few sprig of coriander leaves

6 tomatoes, cut to 4 each

heat oil, say 8 tablespoon of oil....and fry cinnamon, cardamon and cloves till fragrant, then add aniseed, onion and curry leaves. saute till onion turn slightly brown,

add in the curry paste,

then add in the mutton,

then the yogurt/coconut milk,

add some salt,

add some water fr time to time to suit own preference (i like 'em thick!)

boil till mutton turn quite tender (which is difficult for me...)

and add coriander leaves and tomatoes.

continue to boil till gravy thickens and mutton tender.

let me know if you guys have tried dis recipe ok!

and please give me a couple of days to look for the ingredient in the Baba's curry powder. i ran out of them! :cool:

To anil,

I'm stationed in Putrajaya, 45km to KL. Please let me know how i can assist you. Do e-mail me at arunaputri@yahoo.com. I'll be happy to help.

Cheers,

Arunaputri

:huh:

To anil,

I'm stationed in Putrajaya, 45km to KL. Please let me know how i can assist you.  .....

Cheers,

Arunaputri

:huh:

Due to vacation shortage :smile: I have to postpone my SIN/KUL trip for '04 Thanks for the offer.

anil