• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Phily Trip Recommendations

luchshel

Heading into Phily in late October. We have one free night for dinner. Would like some recommendations if you've got them.

My boss (work not the wife) are down for a conference. Would like something casual with great food. We are open to any ideas.

Also, we are looking for a great sports pub/bar to watch some NFL action. Preferrably multiple games on screen.

Thoughts anyone.

Also,  we are looking for a great sports pub/bar to watch some NFL action.  Preferrably multiple games on screen.

For the NFL stuff, you might have fun at New Wave, a neighborhood bar at 3rd & Catharine. They got the whole NFL ticket package (or at least they used to), very good bar food, a buncha beers.

Or you could go to the horrible bar in the Marriott at 12th & Market.... nah, New Wave is much better.

If you're going to hit New Wave, which is definitely a good choice for the game, then I'd make an evening of it and go to Dmitris for dinner. Go over, put your name on the list, have drinks at New Wave, and then you'll have a great very reasonably priced meal at Dmitris.

If you're doing dinner and the game on different days/time, I'd also recommend Pigalle in Northern Liberties, which is bistro like, reasonably priced. You'd likely have fun in that neighborhood too, and Standard Tap is nearby for local brews afterwards.

Holly, I was really surprised to hear that you like Los Catrines/Tequilas so much. My meals there have been incredibly mediocre, not on par at all with what I consider to be the best Mexican restaurants in the country (Topolobampo in Chicago, and Cafe Azul in Portland). Maybe I'm missing something--could you be more specific about what you like to order there? I do think the margaritas are good, but that's all I've had there that I liked.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Holly, I was really surprised to hear that you like Los Catrines/Tequilas so much. My meals there have been incredibly mediocre, not on par at all with what I consider to be the best Mexican restaurants in the country (Topolobampo in Chicago, and Cafe Azul in Portland). Maybe I'm missing something--could you be more specific about what you like to order there? I do think the margaritas are good, but that's all I've had there that I liked.

Tequila's is just about across the street from my business, so whenever I Can Do! lunch I'm there for huevos rancheros con chorizo (my variation.) As a result I've gotten to know the servers from way back. I also gave Tequila's their first review and wrote about them a few other times, so have gotten to know owner David Suro too.

All this is leading up to an explanation as to why I am not going to be able to point you to specific dishes I've really liked. David or the server orders for me. They don't create anything - just one of the specials or something that is particularly good that evening. I'm probably most fond of their variations on a red snapper, and I make sure someone at the table or I orders queso fondido to start.

It's possible, as a result, that my experience is far better than others, but I've only heard raves from others. With one exception now I guess.

We agree on the margaritas at least.

And also on Dmitri's. Gave them their first review too as I remember.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If I had one night in Philly I'd try Morimoto. Of course you and your companions would have to love sushi. (I would definately order the uni appetizer I saw on Food TV's documentary!) I'm sure it's expensive so it may be best to get the boss drunk enough so he buys dinner!

Jane

Edited by Janedujour (log)

JANE

not sure how far you feel like venturing from center city. give an idea of your locations, and easier to suggest.

always heard that the bar in the korman suites hotel at 20th and hamilton is great for watching sports, but never been.

new wave and dmitri's are a good combo, if you want a neighborhood feel, but are probably slightly farther from the hotels than you may want to travel. don't know your particulars.

i also liked tequila's the one time i was there, soon after it opened.

outside of that, not making further comments until hear more about where you'll be, etc.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.