• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Isabel

Nick

If you're on the east coast, mid-Atlantic and north, you may want to keep an eye on this hurricane. Right now it looks like it might be headed that way. For more info go to http://www.hurricanecenter.com/HTML/frameset1.htm and then hit "Atlantic Storm Data" followed by "Strike Probabilities - image."

Another site is, http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/ and then hit 2003.

This storm may give us a good blow. At the least, if you have a bathtub, fill it.

I have been keeping my eye on it. My daughter lives in DC. They have it cruising right up the Chesapeake. At least she lives on the 3rd floor of a VERY solid, built-in-the-20s, brick ****house of a building. I do worry about Varmint's Pig Pickin' though. The damage that this thing could do will make the blackout look like a minor inconvenience.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have been keeping my eye on it. My daughter lives in DC. They have it cruising right up the Chesapeake. At least she lives on the 3rd floor of a VERY solid, built-in-the-20s, brick ****house of a building. I do worry about Varmint's Pig Pickin' though. The damage that this thing could do will make the blackout look like a minor inconvenience.

We'll be fine by the 11th. Even with lots of damage. Last hurricane 5 years ago knocked out our power for 8 days and confined us to our neighborhood for 5 days. The big concern here is trees -- they tend to fall over with lots of wind -- and we have lotsa trees!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

When we were hit 5 years ago, we had had a ton of rain for several days before the hurricane hit. The ground was so soft that the roots of trees had nothing to hold onto when the winds hit. A gas grill is a lifesaver during these times. Just keep on hoping it continues to weaken!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites