• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GOOD EATS

pjackso

Is it just me or would you blow off the birth of your first child if you knew that a new episode of Good Eats was coming on? Am I alone here??? :blink:

"You like Thai?"

"Yea, you like shirt?" -Trent Steele & Max Power (From The Simpsons Episode No. 216)

I used to be a fan, but now I'm more inclined to think the show has lost some of it's appeal. I found some of the cooking tips from his show useful, though in general I tend to think he's run out of ideas. But maybe that's just me.

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

The fact that it will be on time and time again ad infinitum would probably lead me to focus on the birth. They may not run them as often as the friggin' "Best Of...", but I worry about missing new episodes on Food Network about as much as I worry about missing "The Real World". :hmmm:

Is it just me or would you blow off the birth of your first child if you knew that a new episode of Good Eats was coming on?  Am I alone here??? :blink:

I am a huge fan of AB and I have the Oxo salad spinner to prove it (thanks, "W"!). I've tried his "Serious Vanilla Ice Cream" and it kicks butt.

I enjoy seeing the "why" behind the food process...explaining the science behind something so minor like why crushed garlic is stronger than sliced garlic, presented in an entertaining way...or the classic "Three Chips for Sister Marsha" (aka known as "The Thin, The Puffy, The Chewy") explaining the how's and why's of chocolate chip cookies and why some are crispy and some are chewy. Eye opening, to say the least.

If you like "Good Eats", you'll like the Good Eats Fan Page. I'm thinking about buying a t-shirt from the site: "I'm a briner, not a nutritional anthropologist." :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Is it just me or would you blow off the birth of your first child if you knew that a new episode of Good Eats was coming on?  Am I alone here??? :blink:

I am a huge fan of AB and I have the Oxo salad spinner to prove it (thanks, "W"!). I've tried his "Serious Vanilla Ice Cream" and it kicks butt.

I enjoy seeing the "why" behind the food process...explaining the science behind something so minor like why crushed garlic is stronger than sliced garlic, presented in an entertaining way...or the classic "Three Chips for Sister Marsha" (aka known as "The Thin, The Puffy, The Chewy") explaining the how's and why's of chocolate chip cookies and why some are crispy and some are chewy. Eye opening, to say the least.

If you like "Good Eats", you'll like the Good Eats Fan Page. I'm thinking about buying a t-shirt from the site: "I'm a briner, not a nutritional anthropologist." :laugh:

me too....the ice cream does kick butt (try adding some caramalized nectarine pieces to the mix, have some in the freezer right now)...enjoy that as well....three chips is great (I have about four recorded tapes worth of GE)...excellent website, they actually have the script for every episode :wacko:

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I think it's time for TiVo.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Love the show! Tickles the food geek in me. What I want to know is if they can market DVDs of his series, do they plan on doing the same with Cook's Tour?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Have you ever seen a baby being born? It'll completely ruin your appetite.

I love Good Eats and AB but, given the likelihood of catching the show in reruns, I think I'd be at the maternity ward.

Now, if I had the chance to meet Julia Child in person . . . I might have to think about it.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 1 month later...

I just checked out his recipe for sweet potato pie....I cannot believe he's making it without a nice splash (1/4 cup) of Kentucky Bourbon! Really adds a nice depth to it!

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

A decent episode. One of the few with a dirty joke that I can remember:

AB: Man yams, why do they call them man yams?

FoodScientist: Because they resemble something [closeup on long slender yam] that only a man has. [cut to AB's bewildered face as he looks at the elongated tuber] Think about it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New episode airs tonight

Man Food

Also a Grains episode airs at 10:30 Central time that I've never seen or heard of so not sure if it is a re-run or not.

Edit: nevermind a quick look here informs me it's been aired on 10/08/2003. IT's new to me though.

Elie

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog