• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Pedro

Chris Cognac

I am looking for some places in the L.A. Harbor area to write about as I seem to have been neglecting that area....I am writing my column now on Issac's burritto's in Wilmington...across from the ILWU union hall...great stuff!....So does anyone have any suggestions for me to go and check out in the harbor area....noting fancy as I will leave that to Merril Schindler....mom and pop places and small shacks/stands are great!

maybe if we find a place we can have an "e gullet" get together at the place and I will use that for my column...what do you think?

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Chris, pardon the ring if this place is already on your radar screen, but Jack's Country Kitchen in Wilmington is about as basic as they come. My inaugural Jack's experience was a couple of months ago, and I felt like I had left California to be transported to a Midwestern truck stop. The decor, the staff, and the patrons all seemed out of place for So Cal. Not that I was complaining, mind you. It was a harbinger of the good country cookin' to come. I went there looking for a good plate of biscuits and gravy, one of my guiltiest breakfast pleasures, and was not disappointed. It's certainly worth a look if you're in the neighborhood.

Jack's Country Kitchen

558 E Anaheim St

Wilmington

310-549-8080

Jack's map

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

it's not strictly harbor adj., but i've been pushing Taco Loco like mad. It's in Long Beach on Magnolia between PCH and Anaheim (some harbor-related businesses!). one of the very best taco stands i've ever come across. great meats, great salsas, tortillas made while you wait. still, i can't seem to get any of our critics interested in it so you might as well run with it. who is your column for?

I like the Jacks country kitchen idea...Maybe we can have an e-gullet dining out in the next couple of weeks...That would make a great column, plus I have been dying for some good chicken fried steak....

What days are best for all you guys?.....Mondays and weekends are good for me...i am also good for lunches most days of the week but Mondays are best because I can leave the kids with the wife (they are small)

Lets do it!

The Hungry Detective

I lived in San Pedro after the Northridge earthquake. What I miss most is Slavko's. Apparently they opened in the 1930s when all the local harbor-workers were Hungarians. Absolutely amazing fried chicken and the store, even though rather sparse looking, still uses the original frying vats and cash register. Don't forget the potatoes!

An absolute must-visit!

Slavko's

1224 S. Pacific Avenue

San Pedro, CA 90731

310-832-5723

And you'd better head to The Port Hole on 6th Street for a great dive bar in which you can quench your thirst after chicken fried steak and biscuits and gravy. Drinks are basic and very reasonable. I've been dropping in there since my cruise ship days...my Welsh boyfriend introduced me to the place. Can't remember the owner's name (last time I was there was about two years ago) but the conversation is always fun and the drinks flow on the strong side.

Now I'll have the reputation of being a lush.

And Russ, I've been going to Taco Loco almost weekly since your recommendation. All my colleagues are going there regularly as well. Have you tried the cold seafood soup?

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Sigh! It's been years since I've lived in Pedro, but some favorites of mine (as of 10 years ago) are J. Trani's Ristorante on 9th street, Lighthouse Deli (great breakfasts), Beach City Grill on 6th St. (last time I was there they were BYOB-woo hoo!-assuming they are under same mgmt, the cajun sweet potato fries with feta dill dressing rock!), Rex's Cafe (for breakie or lunch; great muffins, too); Slavko's Harbor Poultry (get their fried chicken and potato nugget thingies to go); and Canetti's Seafood Grotto (swordfish, salad with blue cheese dressing, lots of Italian bread, and white wine for lunch). If they still do teh Fisherman's Fiesta there (usually in October) you must go for the mostaccioli and the Yugoslav swordfish sandwiches.

HTH!

I've been going to Taco Loco almost weekly since your recommendation.  All my colleagues are going there regularly as well.  Have you tried the cold seafood soup?

i haven't. to be honest, i can't get past the same order: 3 tacos: tripas, al pastor and buche. well, i have ventured into the far-flung fields of asada and chorizo, just out of curiosity (very good). i swear, the tripas are like something you'd eat in a great restaurant. i don't know how they get that crusty fried quality to them, but they're delicious.

• 3 weeks later...

...and tuesday nights at Sacred Grounds (399 W. 6th Street), Bernie Pearl has an acoustic blues jam. 8pm.

sorry. off topic. except for the coffee, which can be a bit off (topic). but very fun.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, as a Pedro boy born and bred it's nice to see an interest in the town. I know its an old thread but brings back quite a few memories for me :). Lita bout hit it- Canettis is long gone but you gotta go to Utro's if just for the atmosphere.

Also I'd throw in Papadakis if ya like Greek, Walkers at the point if they're still open(greasy biker spoon-love it), and the Diner on pacific for breakfast.

danny

Walkers was done a few years ago....Utro's is a maybe or the Lighthouse....I am going to check out the Jakes place in Wilmington soon too....

I might just write about the ports o call village and getting a big plastic tray of spicy shrimp with the huge garlic bread and beer then sitting in the sun.....

i am writing a "best south bay dining experiance's" for my end of year column.....the shrimp one might just make it in!

The Hungry Detective

Lita bout hit it- Canettis is long gone...

what do you mean by "long gone"? as in that place is so over (past its prime), or as in boarded-up-outta-biz?

because i drove by there last week, and it's still open...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Wasn't even thinkin bout the original Canetti's at the end of 22nd st-oops. 10-12 years ago(mabe longer??) they had another place by the bridge I believe-been closed for years.

Chris also don't miss Ante's, a classic.

danny

Wasn't even thinkin bout the original Canetti's at the end of 22nd st-oops.  10-12 years ago(mabe longer??) they had another place by the bridge I believe-been closed for years. 

Chris also don't miss Ante's, a classic.

danny

Where is this Ante's place and what do they serve?...I wouldnt mind doing a thing on Busy Bee but I know they have been written about in the past. I really love getting a turkey sandwhich and a bad of chips then going up to the Bell park and enjoying the view of the ocean and catalina with my lunch!

The Hungry Detective

Ante's is right behind the Post Office on Harbor between 8th?-9th? streets. Might be Beacon street behind the post office, been a while since i've been home.

They serve Slav food; mostacioli, seafood, etc. Best calamari steak around. Been serving food for maybe 50-60 years? a long time and not much has changed. If ports o Call is still the same as I remember I'd skip it(unless you go to the fish market restaurant and get the swordfish) and hit Ante's. Right above ports o call. Utro's moved down to port o call area too-berth 76-78? so you're right there.

Busy bee's a classic but lines were way too long at lunch. Want a good sandwich go to A-1 imports grocery at 8th&Mesa-old world Italian deli with attitude and all :) Imported procuitto sandwich for $5 and change.

Or try Joseph's bakery for pizza by the slice-they're by

Daniel's field about 12th street or so-sorry, my directions are hazy. Send me an e-mail if i can be more help.

danny