• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: hjshorter - Guess I'm "It" this week...

hjshorter

Here we go. Fasten your seat belts and try to remain awake.

Emma woke at 1am after having a bad dream, then it was Ian's turn at 2am, just as we had fallen asleep again. Woke this morning at 6:30 feeling less than refreshed. :blink:

Breakfast:

2 cups of hot coffee, more or less. I can never keep track because as soon as what's in my cup cools off, it gets poured out and replaced by fresh.

I large chocolate chip cookie - snagged before Scott whisked the rest off to the office with him.

Fixed pancakes, orange juice and sliced banana for the kids.

One slice of cheddar and half an apple as a midmorning snack. Eaten because vitamins + coffee + empty stomach is a recipe for disaster. :wacko:

We put off grocery shopping yesterday, so it will have to be done today with both kids along. Ack!

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

:wink:

Hi, Al --

Each blogger gets to choose his/her own successor. When Katie finished her blog, she tagged several of us and told us to sort it out among ourselves; since beans is exceptionally busy with the Alaska business, Heather's going next and I'll follow when she's done.

:cool:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Fixed pancakes, orange juice and sliced banana for the kids.

Please keep telling us what your kids ate, it's very interesting (at least to me).

We had a 2:30 wake-up :sad: .

Argh. :sad: How old are your kids again, G?

You'll find that the kids generally eat much better than I do. :rolleyes:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

No posts on my Alaskan trip and the food my family prepares from foraging, fishing and hunting?  Easily accomplished! :biggrin:

No, you get to post separately on your trip. I want to hear all about the foraging!

I especially want to hear about the foraging.

3:00 wake-up call here, btw.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

So far, this is sounding a lot more like my daily menu - I'm eating a lot less impressively now that I have two small children. Carry on!

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

beans, PLEASE do a thread on your Alaska trip! Every single morsel. :biggrin:

Heather, have fun with this. You may find you learn as much about yourself as we learn about you -- maybe even more. :shock:

(edited to correct an spelling error :biggrin: )

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

*jingles in*

The command to blog cometh as a response to Our Dear Fearless Eater's mini-blog.

*jingles out*

Soba

So soba --

No posts on my Alaskan trip and the food my family prepares from foraging, fishing and hunting? Easily accomplished! :biggrin:

*jingles in*

I didn't say you couldn't blog your trip to Alaska. You can post whatever you like. I was responding to Al Dente, who wanted to know where the command to blog came from on high. Hope that clears things up for you.

I too am interested in seeing if the cuisine of Alaska compares to the cuisine of, say, Mongolia. :blink:

*jingles out*

Soba

3:00 wake-up call here, btw.

I think all the egullet parents should plan a middle of the night chat one of these days! :laugh:

OK, Lunch:

Emma wants leftover chinese food from last night. Chicken with broccoli, long beans with minced pork, rice. Scott took all of the pork and preserved egg congee to work with him, so I nibble on the chicken and beans with a generous blob of chili-garlic sauce.

Pre-shopping fridge cleanout turned up slimy cilantro and cauliflower about to go bad. Dinner was supposed to be curried tuna (Mahdur Jaffrey's recipe, it's a staple around here) but with funky cliantro that may have to get put off unless we get to the store today. :angry:

And I have to fit the cauliflower into the meal too, or chuck it. I break out Quick and Easy Indian Cooking and look for a cauliflower recipe. Score! "Cauliflower with ginger, garlic and green chilies." A plan: curried tuna, cauliflower, pita, cucumber raita. Now to work the prep and grocery store around Emma's 3-3:55 ballet class. :wacko:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

So far, this is sounding a lot more like my daily menu - I'm eating a lot less impressively now that I have two small children. Carry on!

How old are your kids, tejon? Mine are 4 and 17 months.

And yes, the prep can be interesting, especially now that Ian is counter height.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

beans, PLEASE do a thread on your Alaska trip!  Every single morsel.  :biggrin:

Yes, beans. I agree. Don't wait for your foodblog turn. Make it a good, long "travelogue/what we ate at the celebration" post. It sounds like it's going to be a great party.

Travel safe!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Heather: Do your kids have any firm dislikes, or are things still changeable?

(I'd also be interested in food shopping experiences -- especially in families with kids, like for example yours. But maybe that's another thread.)

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Heather:  Do your kids have any firm dislikes, or are things still changeable?

Soba

Firm & changeable sounds like diaper territory. :blink:

Let's not go there... :rolleyes:

Ian will eat almost anything we put in front of him. Emma has become more picky these days. She is very suspicious of casseroles, even things that she used to devour like lasagna. Both will eat anything ethnic, as long as it's not too spicy. Emma's fave dinner is chicken and rice, but it can be tandoor with basmati, or gai kaprow with jasmine.

Salmon, bacon, chicken, steak, tomatoes, asparagus, broccoli, eggs, and cheese are among their favorite foods. Emma is also crazy about nicoise olives.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Is this the norm when it comes to pre-two year old's eating habits? Like, they'll eat most things and then they become picky, and then it either stabilizes or branches off in a new direction?

The reason why I ask is because a close friend's son is about the same age as Emma (a little over a year old) and he's become quite picky. He's had his first taste of sugar, so that may have something to do with it. My friend and his wife are a bit focused, foodwise -- organic and low-fat, for the most part. They're also foodies, which is a good thing. :wink: (He just signed on egullet the other day as a new member, so if he reads this post, maybe he can explain what I mean by "focused". :hmmm::blink: )

Soba

How old are your kids, tejon?  Mine are 4 and 17 months.

And yes, the prep can be interesting, especially now that Ian is counter height.

I have two boys, 2 1/2 and 4 1/2. The oldest loves to "help" cook - note the use of quotes, as the help he gives is often of questionable merit :blink:

My oldest would eat anything at all when he was a baby - jalapenos, raw onion and garlic, and practically anything else. When he got to be around two, pickiness suddenly became rule of the day. Now he's back to eating just about anything he sees with great gusto. I have to think it's something developmental, since I've seen a lot of children go through a similar phase at about the same time. Our youngest is currently in the "Food? What a crazy idea" phase, so at least we save on groceries :wink:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne