• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: hjshorter - Guess I'm "It" this week...

hjshorter

(it was allergy testing, those of you familiar with it know how pleasant it is)

How'd it go? Was it the 36 pricks on the back? I've been through it twice. Iris' back swelled up into one huge welt that stayed there for about 4 days (it was mostly the cats, mold, pollen, and peanuts) while Robert just had a couple of tiny ones (milk, eggs, peanuts)

He didn't do all 36, just the more common, and no foods. She only reacted to a couple, so we go back for the intradermals in a month. She reacted to cats and dust mites yesterday.

She was not happy, but lay across my lap and watched a video while waiting. And got stickers and a bracelet afterwards, so all was forgiven.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

You really don't eat much do you Heather.......................? :blink:

I make up for it with the ice cream. :hmmm:

Also, I didn't mention the peach or banana I had yesterday.

And Al, that first taste of cake is just priceless. Ian stuck a finger in his cake frosting, tasted it, and his whole face lit up. He devoured every last crumb.

Right now I'm enjoying, you guessed it, a small mug of very hot coffee. Just realized that if we lose power we won't have a coffee maker. :shock: I'm getting a french press today - our cooktop is gas so we will be able to boil water.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Breakfast:

One quarter of a slightly underripe cantalope, 2 buttermilk pancakes (homemade by the fab cook Mr Shorter), and bacon. More coffee. Ian gobbled his breakfast, but Emma is complaining that she wants sausage instead of bacon. :rolleyes:

We've emptied the ice in the ice maker into a cooler, and reset it to make more. We also started transferring food from the freezer upstairs to the large freezer in the basement. We have complete gray cloud cover but no rain yet. Not sure if I should even bother planning dinner - perhaps I should order a couple of mezze platters at Lebanese Taverna, if they're even open today. They are in the same shopping center as my hairdresser so I could order it, get my hair done, then pick it up on the way home.

Yes, I have a hair appointment at 11 and I refuse to reschedule. It had better wait until after noon for all hell to break loose. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

You've got your priorities right Heather :biggrin: Ryan had a doughnut for breakfast. So sue me for being a rotten mother :laugh: The best and the worst things about kids is that they are unpredictable. Keeping my fingers crossed for you during the wild weather to come :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Good move on transferring the frozen food to the "big freezer". The more that you have in the freezer, the better off you are. You might also crank down the temperature if you have that option. How long it will last in a power outage is dependent on ambient temperature. Here on the Gulf Coast, it is always hotter than hell after the storm passes. My mother always had this big chest freezer. She would wrap it in every blanket and comforter in the house. I don't know if that helped but it is directionally correct. One time she used some insulation bats that dad had bought to add to the attic. The drill is that you DON'T OPEN IT until the power comes back on. Immediately when the power comes on you take an inventory and decide what to toss before it refreezes and you can't tell. Someone in the house was always on "freezer watch". You slept with a radio or light by the bed in case the power came back on during the night. Then you had to get up and check the freezer. I remember going through the monster at 3:00am one time. PITA, but the freezer was central to my mother's existence. I guess it was that depression era food hoarding thing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Right now I'm enjoying, you guessed it, a small mug of very hot coffee.  Just realized that if we lose power we won't have a coffee maker.  :shock:  I'm getting a french press today - our cooktop is gas so we will be able to boil water.

Heather, thanks for the blog. It does bring back memories of when my crew was little..especially the difiiculty in shopping,a nd the constant time crunch...few people realize that running into the store for milk becomes a major production..three car seats to unbuckle, ( well I never had more than two in a car seat, one in a booster by then, the laws were different) , three bodies to lift out of the car, one toddler to carry, one hand to hold,, and I made the oldest ( at 8 yrs) hold onto my shirt or just stay nearby. Juggle for the wallet, hand the milk off to the eldest to carry, lift em back into the car, buckle the seats, find a not-toatally-crumb covered toy to stick int he littlest's ones face for the ride home..and listening to how mean you are for not buying them $5 bucks worth of power rranger lollipops while you were int he convenience store.

oh, and if your stove is gas with ELECTRIC starters,( the click-click starters), don't forget matches cause the stove won't be able to light itself.

what part of the country are you in?

Heather, thanks for the blog. It does bring back memories of when my crew was little..especially the difiiculty in shopping,and the constant time crunch...few people realize that running into the store for milk becomes a major production..

Yeah, I only have two kids, but for a shopping trip it's: find the diaper bag, find my keys, load the toddler in while the preschooler roams the yard, track her down, buckle her into her seat, unbuckle everyone, find a cart that seats two (or I wind up chasing the 4 year old while the one year old is strapped into the cart), shop, check out, retrieve my amex from the floor, pay, strap everyone in, load groceries, drive home, unbuckle everyone, unload car after remembering to put up the baby gates and shutting the door behind me each time so that the kids don't wander outside...then I get lots of "help" unpacking the bags. :smile:

We're just north of Washington DC, right in the path of Isabel. I'm hoping that it diminishes somewhat by the time it gets here. The ground is so saturated already that flooding is pretty much a sure thing. We have several big old trees so that's a big concern too. There was a big storm a couple of weeks ago that knocked down lots of branches, so maybe anything that was at risk already came down. I've been fantasizing that a tree will take out my car so that we have an excuse to get a new one. :raz:

My favorite bagel shop is close to the hairdressers, so I'm definitely gonna get some decent bagels to help us ride out the storm.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I guess it was that depression era food hoarding thing.

Yes, fifi, my mom does the same thing. She's 73, lives alone, and has a pantry, freezer and refrigerator all overflowing with food. Sadly, I've seemed to have inherited this overstocking tendency and I live alone, as well.

It would be interesting to see how many eGulleters have experienced someone like this in their lives.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I guess it was that depression era food hoarding thing.

Yes, fifi, my mom does the same thing. She's 73, lives alone, and has a pantry, freezer and refrigerator all overflowing with food. Sadly, I've seemed to have inherited this overstocking tendency and I live alone, as well.

It would be interesting to see how many eGulleters have experienced someone like this in their lives.

We do. My mom is 88 and hubby's mom is 92. My hubby is always convinced the big one is going to hit and we need to be prepared. We have enough food in the house to feed the National Guard should they come through here.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yes, thanks very much for the blog (and the link to Cassie's journal, which you can see from my current evolving sig. :blink: )

So glad you're enjoying it. :laugh: For other Tolkien fans, or LoTR movie fans, clicky to see what we're talking about.

And yes, Scott does post sometimes. He's user sashorter.

It's getting windier and windier, but no rain yet. Got my fingers crossed.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Lunch: Rye bagel with cream cheese, lox, red onion, and tomato. Mmmmmmmmmmm. And a nectarine. Mommy refused to share her salmon, so Ian and Emma had turkey sandwiches and nectarines. :laugh:

Just snacked on a Petit Ecolier. Damn you to hell, Jason, for introducing me to these things. :raz: I can't wait until this box is gone so that I won't be tempted.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

A huge portion of roasted veggie lasagna (just for those of you who think I don't eat :raz: ) and a cup of french press coffee. Was contemplating a salad, but too full right now.

We still have power - yay! - so cooking dinner is a possibility. Maybe we should grill... :laugh: A big green salad with tuna and olives sounds appealing, and won't dirty too many dishes. We've switched to disposable plates, cups, etc. Don't want to have the dishwasher shut off mid-cycle if the power goes out.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

(it was allergy testing, those of you familiar with it know how pleasant it is)

How'd it go? Was it the 36 pricks on the back? I've been through it twice. Iris' back swelled up into one huge welt that stayed there for about 4 days (it was mostly the cats, mold, pollen, and peanuts) while Robert just had a couple of tiny ones (milk, eggs, peanuts)

is that what it's called?

all i remember is 30 on the back and 9 on each arm.

but, yea allergies would be about right, since i used to have 'em.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The talk of wedding cake reminded me of my godson twins' recent 1st bday bash. They hadn't had sweets yet, so we put a cupcake each in front of them and they went to town. You could see from the expression on their faces "THIS    IS    THE      BEST    THING    I"VE      EVER      HAD"......

They got it in their ears, foreheads, hair, and nostrils. It was a riot to watch.

I was recently at a one year birthday party where they put him in his high chair with a layer cake about the size of a personal pan pizza. A dozen adults gathered round with cameras waiting for him to dive in and smear it about and he just picked at it delicately. They were very disappointed.