• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: hjshorter - Guess I'm "It" this week...

hjshorter

I got vetoed on the salad, so we had steamed asparagus, spaghetti, and meat sauce. It was so pleasant that we ate outside, just us and about 100 bloodthirsty mosquitoes, who were undeterred by our Off lantern. :angry:

Ian was so excited to be outside that he barely ate anything and shrieked at the top of his lungs every few seconds - one of the reasons we don't eat at restaurants very often. :blink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Right now I'm listening to music and surfing the web instead of doing the dishes.  You would think that since I'm home all day that my house would be cleaner, but you would be wrong.  :biggrin:

It can't look any worse then mine! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

When you plan meals for your family (this question is directed not only to Heather but specifically to anyone who has children), what inspires you to do so?  Is there a set repertoire, or do you plan impulsively, or does it come together at the last minute?  Are things seasonal, or is part of your inspiration driven by specials in the supermarket paper or coupon clippings?

Soba

My kids are pretty good eaters so I rarely plan meals around them. I tend to have 3 to 5 dises on the table and they are welcome to eat what they like. If nothing appeals to them then there is always rice and some furikake available. Occasionally I will plan a meal that is not child friendly (usually extremely spicy) and at that time I will make up something different just for the kids.

I plan my meals around what I want to eat! :biggrin: Hey I am the one doing the cooking!

I tend to cook with seasonal ingredients because they taste the best and are normally the cheapest.

I also plan my meals by what is on sale but that is due to financial circumstances rather then the fact that i have children. But then again if I didn't have 3 kids I would have a lot more money........... :blink:

I plan my meals around what I want to eat! :biggrin:  Hey I am the one doing the cooking!

I tend to cook with seasonal ingredients because they taste the best and are normally the cheapest.

I also plan my meals by what is on sale but that is due to financial circumstances rather then the fact that i have children.

Same here. My husband will eat pretty much anything, and I usually manage to get my oldest son interested in whatever we're having for dinner by involving him in the preparation - he peels, chops things, measures, stirs, and watches while standing on a step stool so he can have a better view of what I'm doing. I do ask our oldest for input on the weekly menu - his response is usually "pizza", or his favorite menu of all: "chicken, broccoli, and rice" (which can be stir fry, blackened chicken breasts and steamed broccoli, chicken tikka masala with sauteed broccoli and basmati - he doesn't care about the form too much).

I also plan by what's in season and on sale - both for financial and reasons of taste. I'd much rather have asparagus in season, when it's the most tender and delicious, than pay $4 a pound in November for tough, stringy stalks that bear little resemblance to what you find in the Spring.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

More diet vanilla Pepsi. This is much better than diet vanilla Coke

You inspired me. I'm sipping one of these right now and you are correct. It's MUCH better than Diet Vanilla Coke.

Try and eat something. would 'ya??? :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Heather... Your blog is a monument to what it takes to feed and nuture children. It isn't easy. My turn at this drill was a long time ago, but I still remember some of the frustrations, as well as the triumphs. The "garden raids" were one of my triumphs. The result is, that my "kids" (now in their early 30s) are wonderful dinner and cooking companions. Actually, that wonderfulness started about when my youngest was about 12. There is a pay day.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Wow all this talk about the joys of kids really makes me want to get some. Kids, I mean...

Any foodie babes up for it? At least some practice? Hehehehehehe......

I will let you borrow my 3 for a while!

You may not be so quick to practice for a looong time............. :biggrin:

Good morning everyone! Only one wake-up call last night (12:30am) and both kids slept until after 7am. I feel almost rested! :blink:

I'm currently enjoying a small mug of hot coffee while putting off getting Ian from his crib. He's complaining, but I'd really like to finish reading my email. Scott is wrangling Emma into some clothes.

Bagels with cream cheese and "fishies" (what Emma calls salmon) and sliced tomato were supposed to be for breakfast, but after a quick glance in the fridge I realize I forgot to buy "fishes" while at the store yesterday. :angry:

Cheerios, milk and sliced peaches for the kids. I am going to sulk for a while.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I guess I was a little late on removing my stupid comment. This was due in large part to stopping at RFD (Heather knows the place), having a few Belgian beers while waiting for my burger, and waiting... and waiting... well, eventually I was too full on the heavy beer for the burger that they had forgotten about anyway. Four Belgians and no food has that effect on me.

Anyway, I've been the godfather of twin boys for a year now. It's been a great experience. I can't wait to start cooking something fun for them.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I guess I was a little late on removing my stupid comment. This was due in large part to stopping at RFD (Heather knows the place), having a few Belgian beers while waiting for my burger, and waiting... and waiting... well, eventually I was too full on the heavy beer for the burger that they had forgotten about anyway. Four Belgians and no food has that effect on me.

Anyway, I've been the godfather of twin boys for a year now. It's been a great experience. I can't wait to start cooking something fun for them.

Which Belgian were you drinking?

And don't worry, it wasn't a stupid comment. Just a funny one, in a lecherous sort of way.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Which Belgian were you drinking?

And don't worry, it wasn't a stupid comment. Just a funny one, in a lecherous sort of way.

The Leffe Blond. Deeeelish. Still waiting for my burger though...

-- A.B.

The Leffe Blond. Deeeelish. Still waiting for my burger though...

That Leffe was indeed deeeelish. I've been dreaming about that peche on tap ever since I had it. :wub::wub: When is that egullet beer tasting anyway?

Um, back on topic. Coffee, and shared a small piece of cinnamon coffee cake with Ian while out shopping this morning. My brother is getting married next weekend and both kids needed clothes for the wedding and rehearsal dinner.

Back at home, trying to eat a roast beef sandwich with tomato and get some laundry done before the hurricane blows through tomorrow.

Emma has a doctor appointment at 2:30 that may last for a couple of hours. Tonight may be a takeout night.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Ugh. Emma's appointment took two hours, so we dashed home at 4:45 and put together a meal of hamburgers and baby carrots. Had a handful of tortilla chips while making supper. I wanted a nice big scotch & water and a cigarette, but decided to set a good example for the children. :laugh:

Scott is out taking Emma to Ben & Jerry's because she was very brave at the doctor (it was allergy testing, those of you familiar with it know how pleasant it is), and Ian is completely ransacking my desk while I'm online.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

My brother is getting married next weekend and both kids needed clothes for the wedding and rehearsal dinner.

Oooo. I have a friend who is dreading her toddler's first wedding experience. Then again, his first plane ride went quite smoothly. She's just afraid that the profusion of horror stories means that it's one of those settings where an otherwise well-behaved child (which he is) goes mysteriously out of control.

I have a dim wedding memory of my 3yo brother taking fistfuls of sweet and sour meatballs from the chafing dish at a reception. Everyone found it adorable, especially once he ended up with sauce smeared across his face.

You may not be so quick to practice for a looong time............. 

I have a very droll friend who once turned to me while we were in the presence of some very loud and obnoxious children and said:

"Tonight I'm taking TWO birth control pills when I get home...."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Screaming brats can be a powerful contraceptive, or even an inducement to celibacy :blink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I have a dim wedding memory of my 3yo brother taking fistfuls of sweet and sour meatballs from the chafing dish at a reception. Everyone found it adorable, especially once he ended up with sauce smeared across his face.

Emma is the flower girl, so she will have many many chances at being out of control in front of a whole lotta people that day, while wearing a very fancy silk dress. :blink: What's more likely is that she will completely freeze up during the ceremony when she has to "perform."

Then there's my son. I can totally see Ian grabbing a fistful of the wedding cake, or toddling down the aisle shrieking at the top of his lungs. What a little barbarian. My brother will be very glad that I talked him out of making him the ring-bearer.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

(it was allergy testing, those of you familiar with it know how pleasant it is)

How'd it go? Was it the 36 pricks on the back? I've been through it twice. Iris' back swelled up into one huge welt that stayed there for about 4 days (it was mostly the cats, mold, pollen, and peanuts) while Robert just had a couple of tiny ones (milk, eggs, peanuts)

Emma is the flower girl, so she will have many many chances at being out of control in front of a whole lotta people that day, while wearing a very fancy silk dress. :blink: What's more likely is that she will completely freeze up during the ceremony when she has to "perform."

Then there's my son. I can totally see Ian grabbing a fistful of the wedding cake, or toddling down the aisle shrieking at the top of his lungs. What a little barbarian. My brother will be very glad that I talked him out of making him the ring-bearer.

The talk of wedding cake reminded me of my godson twins' recent 1st bday bash. They hadn't had sweets yet, so we put a cupcake each in front of them and they went to town. You could see from the expression on their faces "THIS IS THE BEST THING I"VE EVER HAD"......

They got it in their ears, foreheads, hair, and nostrils. It was a riot to watch.

-- A.B.

More diet vanilla Pepsi.  This is much better than diet vanilla Coke.

Yeppers! Where Diet Vanilla Coke has a mild taste of vanilla, Diet Pepsi Vanilla seems to be more in your face, like "I got yer vanilla right here, pal."

I think my taste buds must be on the fritz. Blovie handed me a glass and said "drink." I thought it was diet Cherry Pepsi, but turns out it was Diet Vanilla.

Has anyone else noticed this similarity? :hmmm: Or is it just me?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

They got it in their ears, foreheads, hair, and nostrils. It was a riot to watch.

Somewhere there existed pictures of me at about 3 years old, having plowed both hands totally into the birthday cake my mother had baked for my father. (Note: My mother was not a baker, nor did she like to follow recipes so this was a pretty big deal) There was frosting oozing up between my clenched little fingers, and frosting and cake all over the wall next to the kitchen table, all over my face, in my hair, etc. I never did take direction well... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!