• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ready for Isabel?

s'kat

I've gotten stocked up on charcoal, wood, matches/lighters, etc. in addition to the normal storm supplies. I'm hitting Costco this evening and getting Nathan's hot dogs, more bottled water, and that Lodge cast-iron cooking set.

I'm already well-stocked with wine and beer, and have enough weapons and ammunition to keep the fort safe should post-hurricane hell break loose.

What are you doing to get ready for Miss Isabel? :smile:

Booze while the storm is upon you is a collossally bad idea. Once it's past, and you know what you're dealing with, fine. But during is just asking for trouble. Although at least it looks like this one will make landfall during the day. Which helps.

Remember what the guys from the Weather Channel do when they follow a hurricane somewhere. The bathroom in one of their rooms (they get 3 or 4) becomes the commisary. They fill one bathtub with ice and drinks, unload the chips, bread, sandwich stuff (That they brought from Atlanta) that can be kept in Ziplocks on ice, and sit on the balcony or wander 100 yards up and down the beach filing reports. They live in the room for 2 or 3 days, and as soon as the roads are open again, they are outta there - back to Atlanta or the nearest major hotel chain with an open room and a nice hot shower. Not a bad gig when you put it that way...

Ya got paper plates and far more toilet paper that you ever thought you'd need? Remember, washing dishes and yourself may be an adventure for a couple days.

Of course, this is assuming you've not been through a hurricane before. If you haven't and are going to stick it out, be prepared. The week after the storm ain't pretty. I was raised in south Louisiana, and I moved to Mobile, AL two days before Georges sat on Biloxi for 18 hours. The high school I ended up staying in (since I knew no one in town and hadn't even unpacked) took all of 6 hours to smell like foot and ass. 330 people, no showers or AC for 2 or 3 days. Dinner the first night was condensed beef soup, undiluted, over rice. Tasted damn fine at the time. They were telling stories of Hurricane Frederick, when they were stranded in shelters for 7 days before anyone could get to them. Georges was over pretty quickly, so no moldy processed cheese food to deal with.

Be safe, and don't bother taping the windows. It just gives you something to do waiting for the storm to get there. It's plywood or nothing.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Come on, people.  Don't you have special hurricane recipes? 

Bruce

The entire country is going to be levelled according to the media. PREPARE FOR THIS WORST NEBRASKA!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Come on, people.  Don't you have special hurricane recipes? 

Bruce

I don't, but I'm trying. One of our editors here in Charlotte brought in her special hurricane cookies today. She grew up in Myrtle Beach and she says these are what her mom made before every hurricane. Hurricanes in beach towns are like snow days inland.

I haven't weaseled the recipe yet, but I can say they are very crispy/buttery versions of chocolate chip cookies, but they have chopped pecans instead of chocolate chips.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer