• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Americans Don't Eat Fish Eyes

foodie52

Having traveled in the Far East and been a guest at a number of banquets, I'm just wondering why the most honored guest is offered the fish eyes from the whole fish?

It's actually fish cheeks, the area just below the eyes and not quite the eyes itself. The fish cheek meat is supposed to be the most tender part of the fish and hence it's offered to the guest of honour. The eyes itself are pretty good too, if one like gelatinous textures :biggrin:.

:laugh: No, not the hard eyeballs itself but just the gelatinous bits around it! Not all Asians eat fish eyes - I didn't use to before as the thought used to gross me out. But then I decided to try it one day since I thought the texture should be fairly similar to fatty fish belly which I adore and it's good!

Hmmm...but what if they were deep-fried till they're really crunchy?!! Haven't tried :biggrin::wink: ... yet.

Oh god, I LOVE fish eyes!!!!

And yes, I eat the hard eyeballs too.

And they're really great deep fried.

I'd have to say I prefer eyes to fish cheeks, but I'm weird that way.

My mom otoh is in the opposite camp. They're just a wee bit disgusting (for her).

Soba

:laugh: No, not the hard eyeballs itself but just the gelatinous bits around it! Not all Asians eat fish eyes - I didn't use to before as the thought used to gross me out. But then I decided to try it one day since I thought the texture should be fairly similar to fatty fish belly which I adore and it's good!

Hmmm...but what if they were deep-fried till they're really crunchy?!! Haven't tried  :biggrin:  :wink: ... yet.

I've never had a fish that had eyeballs that were edible. Always too hard. And I've tried a lot. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm just wondering why the most honored guest is offered the fish eyes from the whole fish?

I've heard that about sheep's eyes, but I've had the misfortune of always being the guest in countries where the head is removed before the sheep is plated. I hope we don't see a thread on "Americans don't eat sheep eyes."

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I've heard that about sheep's eyes, but I've had the misfortune of always being the guest in countries where the head is removed before the sheep is plated. I hope we don't see a thread on "Americans don't eat sheep eyes."

Fish cheeks are great, but sheep eyes are nasty!! Think of a roasted blueberry (texture) surrounded by a (small) fistful of lamb fat!

Best way to eat one is to grab a (right) handful of rice and use it to soak up the fat. Other than than, meals in the Saudi desert were fun and fond memories -- the rest of the sheep was usually delicious.