• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ground Beef (Hamburger Meat?)

Peter B Wolf

Mr. Lobel, Sir,

Your preferences in the subject matter are most likely esteemed by many of our readers.

First, after answering Jason's question, please tell us what size 'grind' (millimeter blade) do you favor?

Second, what in your opinion is an acceptable patty weight for a 'decent' Hamburger, plus do you like a 'thicker' patty with less diameter or a thinner patty but a larger one?

Thank you.

Peter

Hi Peter. I would recommend approx. 1/8”-1/4” or 3.175-6.35 millimeters for home grinding. As for size and thickness, for me a lot depends how I’m cooking the burgers. If I’m doing it on open fire, I’ll shape the burgers on the thinner side so I can cook them real fast. If I’m cooking in a cast iron skillet I’ll shape them a bit thicker so I can cook them a little longer it medium heat. My burgers usually weigh in at about 10-12 ounces.

EL