• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cuts?

beans

So hard to choose! Wagyu beef Chateaubriand? Free Range rack of lamb? Kurobuta crown roast of pork?

I imagine the family celebrations and holidays around the Lobel household are fabulous! :smile:

So what are the favourite cuts? Why?

Any special, favourite preparation?

Thank you!

Hi! Oh boy, this is a tough one because I have so many favorite cuts. I guess when it gets down to it I’m really a beef guy. I like to grill (on natural hardwood coals) either triple cut strip steaks or a whole strip (shell) of beef, these are the cuts that I usually find myself entertaining with. My preparation for both is simple and basic. I have found over the years that so much of coking/grilling/BBQ is technique. Once you’ve got the technique down the seasoning isn’t quite as important, but the sequence of the seasoning IS important. When I grill a triple steak, I use light olive oil course salt and fresh ground peppercorns. I then place coals in half the grill and let the fire die down to about 10 minutes after the black color has gone. Then I sear the steaks to desired color, place some well-soaked pecan chips on the coals, move the steaks to the cool side of the grill and cover the grill. I continue cooking till rare med-rare, let it sit for 15 minutes, slice. Then I arrange it nicely on a platter. I don’t always use the chips but lately I’ve been having fun with it. I do the whole strip in a similar way. Other favorite cuts are; Racks of Lamb, Lobels London Broil for 2, Wagyu Rib Steaks/Filets/Strips, Kurobuta Pork.

EL