• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello, my name is...

KateW

For the record, showing someone how rediculous something is is different from "being difficult and/or making him/her seem like an ass."

are ya sure servers don't think you're being difficult?

there are a bunch of ways of doing this. one ends in the server laughing, and some others end with the server being annoyed...

Being annoyed and spitting in your food....

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Why do you assume that I do it in a way that will annoy the server?  The only servers who think I am difficult are the ones who piss me off enough to leave.  And I don't give a fuck what they think.

i haven't assumed anything. in fact, i just said that there are many ways of doing it. the only thing i assumed was that scrumdiddly assumed that the tactic you outlined might be upsetting servers, and i attempted to explain that as you asked "what's your point?"

Then this was a question for scrumdiddly to answer, wasn't it?

Depends on if it's genuine.

what's your barometer? why would you assume that if i'm your server, for example, and i say "hi, my name's tommy", that i'm being disingenous? don't you run the risk of getting riled up over nothing at times?

I go with my instincts which are usually correct. And tommy, you're ALWAYS disingenous! :biggrin:

Why do you assume that I do it in a way that will annoy the server?  The only servers who think I am difficult are the ones who piss me off enough to leave.  And I don't give a fuck what they think.

i haven't assumed anything. in fact, i just said that there are many ways of doing it. the only thing i assumed was that scrumdiddly assumed that the tactic you outlined might be upsetting servers, and i attempted to explain that as you asked "what's your point?"

if you want a one-on-one, PM. otherwise, expect people to jump in when they see interesting points.

But I do like it when they say their name.  Not because I want to make a friend or get laid, but because it just makes me feel more comfortable.

Get laid?

Yeah, re: SuzanneF's comment that going out to eat is not an attempt to make friends, or have a one night stand. Guess you missed that one. :biggrin:

Scrumdiddly was tied up with her kid yesterday whch is why I didn't answer.

You said you want to show the server how ridiculous it is. My point was that the server probably already knows how ridiculous it is, but has no choice. She must do it anyway, so your comment doesn't do anything positive.

It was not clear to me what your intended outcome is- if you think that introducing everyone in your party is going to make the server reflect on how silly it is to introduce herself and stop doing it, I don't think that result is going to be achieved.

As tommy pointed out, possible outcomes that you may not have intended are a) the server thinks you're a difficult customer; or b) the server is reminded once again of how much she hates having to introduce herself because it's such a stupid comment but her manager makes her do it, and the only thing worse than having to do it is having a customer who reminds her how stupid it is and how stupid she looks doing it.

If I want a one on one, I'll quote the person to whom I'm asking a question.  If it's private, I'll PM.

doesn't work that way kid. sorry.

tommy, that is rediculous. It works that way with other people, and if someone wants to jump in, so be it, but the person being quoted is still the person being asked.

Scrumdiddly was tied up with her kid yesterday whch is why I didn't answer.

You said you want to show the server how ridiculous it is. My point was that the server probably already knows how ridiculous it is, but has no choice. She must do it anyway, so your comment doesn't do anything positive.

It was not clear to me what your intended outcome is- if you think that introducing everyone in your party is going to make the server reflect on how silly it is to introduce herself and stop doing it, I don't think that result is going to be achieved.

As tommy pointed out, possible outcomes that you may not have intended are a) the server thinks you're a difficult customer; or b) the server is reminded once again of how much she hates having to introduce herself because it's such a stupid comment but her manager makes her do it, and the only thing worse than having to do it is having a customer who reminds her how stupid it is and how stupid she looks doing it.

Where exactly did you get all of your negativity?

If I want a one on one, I'll quote the person to whom I'm asking a question.  If it's private, I'll PM.

doesn't work that way kid. sorry.

tommy, that is rediculous. It works that way with other people, and if someone wants to jump in, so be it, but the person being quoted is still the person being asked.

i wasn't debating that you "asked" the other poster. i'm merely saying that if you don't want anyone else to be a part of the conversation, PM that person for your answer. otherwise, others might jump in because they want to know the answer, or because they feel it's an interesting discussion.

Did I say I was attacked?

no, elyse, you didn't say that. you said:

Well THAT'S telling me. What's your point?

and

as your response to both of those posts.

one might reasonably assume that you were being defensive, and, by extension, perhaps felt "attacked". is there another word i should have used?

Edited by tommy (log)

Whoo-eee! I could sure ask you that same question.

I'm not sure why you're so defensive about this. You commented that you introduce everyone at the table in response to the server saying "Hi, my name is..." in order to show the server how ridiculous it is for her to introduce herself to you. I pointed out that your practice may not be having the intended result (although you haven't clarified, so I'm not quite sure what your intention is.) I suggested some other more likely outcomes of your practice. I'm speaking from experience waiting tables and in other service industry jobs. Frankly, any person who comes along to an employee in any service job and mocks the way they do their job (whether the way they do their job is by their choice or by management's choice) is not going to come off as a friendly easygoing customer. If you're secure in thinking that the servers you encounter are receiving your efforts in a non-offensive way, then why are you getting so riled up by my comments?

I'm not sure what you mean by asking what my intentions are. I certainly didn't wake up this morning and say "Hey, I'm gonna go piss in elyse's Cheerios". But if you reasess your practice of mocking your server as a result of my comments, I'll consider this a good thing.

Whoo-eee! I could sure ask you that same question.

I'm not sure why you're so defensive about this. You commented that you introduce everyone at the table in response to the server saying "Hi, my name is..." in order to show the server how ridiculous it is for her to introduce herself to you. I pointed out that your practice may not be having the intended result (although you haven't clarified, so I'm not quite sure what your intention is.) I suggested some other more likely outcomes of your practice. I'm speaking from experience waiting tables and in other service industry jobs. Frankly, any person who comes along to an employee in any service job and mocks the way they do their job (whether the way they do their job is by their choice or by management's choice) is not going to come off as a friendly easygoing customer. If you're secure in thinking that the servers you encounter are receiving your efforts in a non-offensive way, then why are you getting so riled up by my comments?

I'm not sure what you mean by asking what my intentions are. I certainly didn't wake up this morning and say "Hey, I'm gonna go piss in elyse's Cheerios". But if you reasess your practice of mocking your server as a result of my comments, I'll consider this a good thing.

Why do you assume I am mocking the server?

And as I said before, I'm not riled. Why do you keep assuming I am? Lots of assumptions going on here.