• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamburgers

Jason Perlow

There's been some debate on this site about what cuts of beef should be used in a hamburger, and what the fat content should be, and how it should be cooked:

Best Burger at Home

Great Burger Mix

Making Your Own Hamburger Meat

What's Lobel's favorite hamburger mix, and do you have any opinions on the subject?

And while we're at it, besides yourself, who do you think serves the best burger in NYC?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks, Jason

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this topic. There are simply so many combinations that people swear by. At Lobel's we mix ground chuck for juiciness, ground sirloin for texture

and ground filet mignon for richness. With an ideal fat content of

between 15 and 20 percent, you'll serve hamburgers that your family and

guests will never forget. And if you want to try something outrageous, give ground hanger steak a whirl.

I think mixing your own burger meat at home is a great idea. When doing this, you are in control of everything from fat content to cuts of meat to getting it in the refrigerator as soon as possible.

I have to tell you that it’s not to often I go out for a burger, but the last one I had was at The Jackson Hole, real fatty and sloppy....yum!

EL