• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobel's and the media

jhlurie

Lobel's has a mass media presense unequaled by any other butcher in the world. In addition to your own books and personal media appearances, Lobel's as an entity is mentioned frequently on mainstream TV shows like Late Show with David Letterman, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and others.

Has this wider awareness of the Lobel's "brand" changed the way you do business?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hi and thanks for the question. Lobel’s has enjoyed much publicity over the years and we continue to get more and more. This attention has not changed the way we do business. When I’m at a party and I’m asked what I do, my response is always the same, “I’m a butcher”. I never forget that and I never will. This is what I do and will continue to do as long as I’m able. It’s my passion and my love. What all this means is that it’s business as usual whether I’m cutting meat in the butcher shop or working to grow our online business. I hope this answers your question.

EL