• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mario Batali Has A New Show Coming

BoboBrazil

They were showing a commercial for it on tv last night and I only caught about 5 seconds of it. I believe the name of it is called Ciao America and from what I understood from the short part of the commercial I saw, he will be making more well known American-Italian style dishes.

I saw the promo's for it, looks pretty decent..I like him cause he seams somewhat "regular" and has a love of authentic food...Plus he is a fat guy that wears shorts (like me)...But he is not bald, so he cant be as cool as me!

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

It airs on Wednesdays at 10:30 p.m. starting October 1, 2003. The first episode is about pizza from New York to Los Angeles; the second (the 8th) showcases North Beach of San Francisco (they catch anchovies and make foccacia); as of yet, nothing appears on the schedule for the 15th; and on the 22nd, Mario returns to Seattle and visits his father's Salumi.

How do I love Mario? Let me count the ways.

I love pasta to the depth and breadth and height

My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight,

For the ends of Italy, and idea Malto.

Note: Bad poetry is always inspired by honest emotions.

I dunno............I really liked "Mario Eats Italy". Yes his sidekick was an idiot, and had absolutly no purpose to be on the show. But Mario traveling around that beautiful country cooking and eating - just wonderful.

"I'll have the lobster...... stuffed with tacos"

• 3 weeks later...

I just hope this show does not feature that sidekick from Mario Eats Italy--I don't think Mario needs comic relief.   

I agree. The show had great potential, but the sidekick...Rooney I think.....really downgraded the show. The attempt at comedy was not funny, just stupid and annoying.

The sad thing is that Steve Rooney can really cook. Dunno why he was cast as the village idiot in "Mario Eats Italy," but he's also done dozens of weird characters on "Good Eats." I think his Mario Eats role may have sunk him, however.

According to Matthew Stillman, the former FNTV exec who did a Q&A here not long ago,

He is really intelligent and funny. A very talented chef. Nice guy. Lovely wife...the works.

He was scripted to be a sidekick, someone mario could teach...a foil...and it came out a bit over the top than was originally intended on paper/

but steve is awesome and not a buffoon.

he originally worked in the test kitchen of "Good Eats"

Rooney's bio from the Good Eats Fan Page

Steve Rooney has traveled from the Merchant Navy to Executive Chef and TV personality. Steve’s first business of choice was the marine transport, where he rose to a position of operations manager in Fettes Shipping, Inc. While providing plenty of opportunity for travel, this job did not give him an outlet for his creative talents. Unsatisfied, Steve decided to move on to a new career, the Culinary Arts. From cooking in his family’s small hotel in Scotland to culinary classes in Toronto and finally a full AOS Chef’s program at the New England Culinary Institute, he rounded out his technical training. Next he set out for his practical training and apprenticed under a range of different chefs and styles of cuisine. After a stint at the Ritz in Atlanta, Steve left to become the Executive Chef for Means Street Productions, the producers of “Good Eats”. Currently Steve co-hosts the “Food Network” TV show, “Mario Eats Italy” with Mario Batali.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

anyone see this?

it was interesting enough.  no sidekick, and less shtick.  it seems that this particular formula is wearing thin, however.

I was not impressed. :sad: Mario didn't reallly seem to be all that into it.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I caught Mario's new show last night. Thought it was pretty well shot (could have been better lighting in some places....), but overall well done.

Last night he focused on pizzas....New York style, Chicago style, California style etc. What was EXTREMELY refreshing was the fact that at the end, he surmized that there was no better or worse, no right or wrong.....just what tasted great using the best ingredients.

A good lesson for some of the cowboys and cowgirls (myself included) out there who like to claim otherwise.

Content-wise, the show didn't seem much different then Tyler's Ultimate. "Let me show you how various people/regional areas make a certain dish".

I thought the show would be him discussing/visiting/making Italian-American dishes, as opposed to the classical Italian he usually does. I was looking forward to it, but I guess I've been let down. After seeing the premier, I wouldn't make a point to watch it, but I'd stop flipping if I saw it were on.

I'll stick to Molto Mario.

I enjoyed Mario's show but i'd have preferred seeing him do the cooking. Since I'm a California girl I was only too happy to see him visit here. The ultimate for me was that he FINALLY took off those clogs and walked barefoot in the sand.

Bonnie

San Jose :laugh:

I thought the sound editing was really well done. You could hear the slightest crunch as the knives went through pizzas. The subject matter, however, has been done to death.

while watching, it occurred to me that some of those sounds were added post-production.

Ultimately I thought the show worked conceptually, and I enjoyed it. But seriously, Mario could use a visit from Carson and Kyan.

God I would pay money to see that episode.

I can just see it now...

Carson: Oh my God, these orange clogs have to go now... this boy needs some Bruno Maglias.... time for some new coutoure, my great big man...

Kyan: See Mario? This is called a razor, here...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

does anyone think that he really liked some of that pizza?

Yes. Mario started out in life as a pizza guy in NJ. Seriously. Batali partially underwrote his education at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J., by working at Stuff Yer Face, a local pizza restaurant.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I've never eaten there. You have?

Yeah, I think he was faking it with the california pizza. But I know he liked the Totonnos and Spumoni Gardens stuff. You can tell.

does anyone think that he really liked some of that pizza?

Yes. Mario started out in life as a pizza guy in NJ. Seriously. Batali partially underwrote his education at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J., by working at Stuff Yer Face, a local pizza restaurant.

And it looks like he's been stuffing it ever since. Sorry, can't stand the guy.