• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast in NDG

cook-em-all

sometimes I walk to the corner and get bagels and smoked salmon. I like the onion bagels ,delicious.

Howcome I can't get poached eggs?

Everytime I order them I know I'll be disappointed.

I like to go out for breakfast, just can't find the right spot.

I rather not say where it was because I,ve had the same experience in all the spots in my area.

NDG needs a serious breakfast/brunch place in the same vein as Beauty's only much bigger.

The never ending quest for breakfast has resulted in almost no winners in my experience. Many places that I felt were dependable end up slipping in quality. How difficult is it to make delicious fried potatoes anyway? Potatoes, lots of butter, lots of onions, and lots of salt. How hard is that? Why do I receive undercooked potatoes covered in paprika? This morning I had potatoes with mold. Along with cold eggs. I used to get good breakfast at Dusty's when the waitresses remembered a table of fours' orders, however different, told the cooks verbally and remembered who ordered what, and all of this on a packed Sunday. I recently returned and I won't be back. Place Milton has slipped. Chez Cora? At those prices you still have to pay extra for coffee!!

My only constant is Restaurant Tous les Jours on Mont Royal at Papineau, where in a smoke-hazed old-school diner with a copy of le Journal de Montreal on every table you get hot eggs, deep-fried potato discs, meat, and drip-coffee galore for $3.95. The only problem is that I need to drink myself silly the night before so that I feel dirty enough in the morning to need a real dose of grease.

How about the Claremont? I had a nice brunch there once a couple of years ago. Good eggs benedict.

And yup, Chez Cora sucks alright. I resent paying a king's ransom for scrambled eggs or pancakes that are doughy and tasteless... :angry: Thing is, others like Tutti Fruitti are actually imitating their menu. So sad.....

Overall I think realy good breakfasts at good prices are hard to find. It's not just NDG, but I do sympathize. :smile:

Lesley is right... most places suck at breakfast reguardless. Just head on out to the Passe Partout bakery, get the liver going with some croissants... You simply need a nice fresh market fruit, a quality latte and bottle water, lots...

If we take the heard out to breakfast, we'll usually head out to Exrpress. Other than that, it's bread, jam and croissant galore. I had a breakfast this week end of 4 adults and 4 cookie monsters, 18 croissants (Vieux Longueil, rated best in Montreal), 4 baguettes, lots of ham, lots of homemade rillette de canard and crotons... It was on the table faster than any fast food joint.

Home made rillettes and butter croissants= beats any greasy spoon stuff by a mile.

• 1 month later...

New on the site... been living in NDG for 5 years now and been going to the same place for breakfast: Oxford Diner (Sherbrooke, corner Oxford) Great home fries, cheap prices... nice terrasse in the summer. Service is sometimes slow but worth the wait... Beware of the owner: she's can sometimes be a "breakfast-nazy" (I've actually seen her throw some customers out a few times) but she's alright when you follow her rules :wink:

Anybody else go there for a hangover cure?

Oxford Diner is a great place. I go to the one on St Catherine quite often and have never been disappointed.

They have the best pancakes that I have ever experienced here in Montreal.

Any reports on their Eggs Benny? I am tough to please when it comes to hollandaise (isn't everyone?)

• 3 weeks later...

Well... went back to Oxford dinner last weekend and had their eggs benedict. The sauce tasted floury, which leads me to believe they don't use a true hollandaise... better stick to their regular egg plates. The home fries and baked beans rocked though!

• 2 months later...

dk, i can think of worse places to get breakfast. place milton anyone? ill stay home for my eggs and coffee, thank you very much. perhaps ill try beauty's soon. as for N.D.G. i think breakfast is No Damn Good over there, tried benedicts, and st viatueur. while acceptable, nothing great.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Not being a breakfast man myself - Vitamin Pills, Perrier and Espresso seem to be the standard items - I have to say you have better croissants in most Couche-Tards than I can get in San Francisco. At least without major foraging.

It would be fun to know where to get the REALLY GOOD croissants - when the urge to splurge comes on.

Thank you Montreal!!

/gth

Hey, if you're ready to get out of NDG, come at Café Méliès.

I know, I know... I work there but I have the same problem than you Cook-em-all, I'm always disapointed for breakfast... so I go back at work...

Honestly, Méliès is a bargain considering the price, the space and the comfort of the dining room. And the most important, it's excellent (real Hollandaise)

Alexandre G.

Hey, if you're ready to get out of NDG, come at Café Méliès.

I know, I know... I work there but I have the same problem than you Cook-em-all, I'm always disapointed for breakfast... so I go back at work...

Honestly, Méliès is a bargain considering the price, the space and the comfort of the dining room. And the most important, it's excellent (real Hollandaise)

What's on the breakfast menu at Cafe Melies? I don't think I have ever seen your breakfast menu. From checking, you open around 8:00 am(the other days 8:30am) daily.

-Steve

Breakfast at Méliès starts at 8h30 (weekends only) and you can find

eggs, omelettes, pan-cakes, crepes, Bagels and salmon, Duck confit, Quiche, Steak...

the lounge section opens at 14h for coffees, drinks or a cheese plate with a good bottle of wine...

www.cafemelies.com

(Sorry, the menu and wine list are not updated...lot's of changes since...)

Alexandre G.

Thanks Rex. Besides all that, I hope Cafe Melies takes coffee seriously, & makes a great brew. Where in Montreal for places that serve breakfast, take coffee seriously? Most breakfast places treat coffee as a commodity item.

-Steve