• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Down Your eGullet: a weekly wine pick

Craig Camp

Craig:

I just had a bottle of this last weekend with a simply grilled steak. Fabulous. The price-quality-value ratio of this wine is amazing. Definitely better than anything domestic in the same price range. The quality of the fruit and the balance in the finished wine is worthy of other Montalcino wines at many times the price.

I've always thought this would be an incredible by-the-glass wine for an Italian restaurant. Great value for both the beverage program and the customers.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I did not like the earlier versions of the Centine, namely the 1997 and 1998. They lacked balance and were fairly simple.

I will give the 2000 a try following this report.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Mr. Camp, is there a website or place to call to find out all the stores who have this wine?

Their website: www.castellobanfi.com has a "Find our wines" section that should help you. Also as this wine is so widely distributed you should be able to find it on the website of your favorite retailer.

I had the '99 Centine and was not overly impressed either. My notes:

Medium-dark ruby colour. Oak, tobacco, blackcurrant on the nose. Medium-bodied, very dry, slightly acidic. Berry and plum in the mouth.

I can think of better ways to spend $17CAD.

I had the '99 Centine and was not overly impressed either.  My notes:
Medium-dark ruby colour. Oak, tobacco, blackcurrant on the nose. Medium-bodied, very dry, slightly acidic. Berry and plum in the mouth.

I can think of better ways to spend $17CAD.

Your notes sound delicious to me. Tobacco, blackcurrent medium bodied - yum! What can I say I like acid in my wines. Exchange rates are as yet out of my control.

I found the wine to be a little thin. If there would just more there, it would be worth the $17. Alternatively, if the wine was $10-$12, it would be acceptable as an easy quaffer as well.

It's not a poor wine at all - just overpriced in my market.

I found the wine to be a little thin.  If there would just more there, it would be worth the $17.  Alternatively, if the wine was $10-$12, it would be acceptable as an easy quaffer as well.

It's not a poor wine at all - just overpriced in my market.

What province are you in? I think prices cary vary quite a bit province to province - is that true? In the USA Centine is easy to find on sale at US$9.99. At that price it is a good deal - exchange rates certainly don't account for the prices you are paying.

I'm in Ontario. Yes, prices do vary from province to province. The best comparison is to Quebec and their SAQ (the Quebecois equivalent to the LCBO). Some of our prices are better while others are priced better in Quebec. It's pretty much a 50/50 split for common products. One word of note - never try to buy Port in Quebec. Their prices are outrageous!

As a further note, there are rarely "sales" at the LCBO. Basically the sticker price is the price. Deal with it. I guess the way they see it is that if the product is going to sell eventually anyway, why discount it? They do a clearout once a year where they knock off a buck or two off a bottle price, but it's always plonk.

I'm in Ontario.  Yes, prices do vary from province to province.  The best comparison is to Quebec and their SAQ (the Quebecois equivalent to the LCBO).  Some of our prices are better while others are priced better in Quebec.  It's pretty much a 50/50 split for common products.  One word of note - never try to buy Port in Quebec.  Their prices are outrageous!

As a further note, there are rarely "sales" at the LCBO.  Basically the sticker price is the price.  Deal with it.  I guess the way they see it is that if the product is going to sell eventually anyway, why discount it?  They do a clearout once a year where they knock off a buck or two off a bottle price, but it's always plonk.

Isn't it great when government steps in to protect consumers. You only have to pay 40% more for their wonderful service. What a bargain. :hmmm: