• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for Exceptional Food?

Pied a Terre is on my "I think I want to go but I'm not entirely sure" list    :huh:  so I can't tell you much about it, except that there have been mixed reports here and elsewhere.

Recently?

I think Pied a terre has been singing on top note for at least a year now.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

My plans for a mid-October visit to London:

Sunday lunch, if I can manage the jet-lag, Putney Bridge. Dinner St John B&W

Monday lunch, catch as catch can in Bloomsbury, depending on work schedule. Dinner at Angel Mangal.

Tuesday lunch, catch as catch can in Bloomsbury, depending on work schedule. Dinner at New Tayyab.

Wednesday lunch, catch as catch can in Bloomsbury, depending on work schedule. Dinner on Charlotte St., to be determined by host. DINNER RECOMMENDATIONS HERE WELCOMED, though I have less input.

Thursday lunch, open, but can't be too expensive, since for convenience sake I am treating my hosts to dinner at Pied a Terre. I will probably be shopping in the West End so that Galette shop off Marylebone High Street sounds appealing. Or perhaps the Malay place, C&R, near Leicester Square.

Friday lunch: This can be a blow-out of my per diem, since I am being fed dinner free by friends.

At the moment I am debating between RHR and Sketch. I will probably be shopping in Chelsea, Knightsbridge, South Ken. etc. LUNCH RECOMMENDATIONS HERE WELCOMED.

Saturday lunch, lunch open, but probably someplace close to Borough Market. LUNCH RECOMMENDATIONS HERE WELCOMED.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

Wednesday Dinner on Charlotte Street:

Understand you dont have much input, but you really want to avoid La Perla and any of the thai/pseudo-thai places on that street. Im also not a big fan of any of the indian places with the exception of Rasa Samudra which I quite like.

The best on the street are Pied a Terre (which you are already hitting) and Passione. In fact, if you want to be sneaky, if they ask what kind of food you like, suggest italian as you will then end up at either Passione or Da Paulo, both of which are good (the former being much better).

If you are looking for a pub, I would suggest the Newman Arms on Rathbone (one block west of Charlotte Street, take the cutthrough next to the Charlotte Street Hotel), your hosts will thinkyou are really in the know. Barring that, the Northumberland Arms at the corner of Goodge and Charlotte is the best of the bunch. If you are looking for a drink, you can try the Charlotte St. Hotel although with drinks starting around a tenner, it can quite pricey.

Thomas Secor

Yes, Sardo would also be good, although I think Da Paulo and certainly Passione, are better.

La Perla is Mexican in fact, or Tex-Mex. There is a spanish tapas place off of Charlotte called Fino which I liked a great deal on the occassion I was there (a three for two Toptable offer). I know Simon M. did not like it, although as I recall much of the complaint had to do with quantity for amount paid, which may be less of a concern if someone else is paying (as was the case when I went). Other than Passione and Pied a Terre, Fino is probably the only aspiring restaurant on that street.

So....no to Mexican, but yes to Spanish.

Thomas Secor