• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steam Roll aka Ban Quon?

Janedujour

Hi, I'm new so be kind. I like this site a lot. My favorite Pho place in the Hartford area (still my secret since I can find it empty at times!) only serves Pho, wonderful melt in your mouth beef slices, or fresh firm shrimp or both!. The broth is rich and fragrant, with a bit of onion, scallion,noodle, cilantro. Of course, lime , basil and sprouts on the side. You can also get it to go either already put together, or "you make at home?" in separate containers, with the raw meat and noodles still cold so they don't get overcooked. So cool. Apparently they have a spicier Pho and a chicken one on Saturday which I haven't tried since I only work around here. The only other thing they make is Bang Quon(sp?) which the owner calls "steam roll". They give you about three rolled rice crepes filled with finely diced and seasoned pork and mushrooms, steamed, then topped with sprouts,cilantro, and round firm pinkish brown slices of something that looks like bologna. What is this stuff? I don't think it's fish cake. Is it bean curd? I asked and she said "it's very good" which was enough for me. It's really delicious and served with a sauce of red chili, sweet vinegar and fish sauce. $5.00! I'd appreciate any thoughts. THANKS!

JANE

Whats the name of the place in Hartford and where is it?

Welcome to the site -- make sure you post on the proper forum though, I moved it to New England since your post is about a place in Hartford, CT.

I've never heard of Steam Roll but it sounds very similar to "Summer Rolls" aka Goi Cuon.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jane, welcome to egullet!

I just made those steamed rolls earlier this week! I had never heard of them until that day, they had a pork and a clour ear mushroom filling and were served with a scallion oil and a nuoc cham dipping sauce.

Taken from the dinner thread:

banh cuon (steamed rice sheets with pork and mushrooms) served with fried scallions with oil and nuoc cham

from Essentials of Asian Cuisine by Corinne Trang

Spicy black bean mussels with rice stick noodles

from Blue Ginger by Ming Tsai

Carrot and daikon pickled salad (dau chua)

from Hot Sour Sweet Salty by Alford and Duguid

Jasmine rice

dessert:

leftover Costco coconut-macademia nut tart

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The only other thing they make is Bang Quon(sp?) which the owner calls "steam roll". They give you about three rolled rice crepes filled with finely diced and seasoned pork and mushrooms, steamed, then topped with sprouts,cilantro, and round firm pinkish brown slices of something that looks like bologna. What is this stuff? I don't think it's fish cake. Is it bean curd? I asked and she said "it's very good" which was enough for me. !

Banh Cuon (as it's usually spelled) is just as you described. It's essentially a spring roll, small in diameter, with a rice flour wrapper which is cooked separately (by steaming) from the stuffing. The bologna-like slices may have been pork roll, a.k.a. Vietnamese pate.

Edited by Gary Soup (log)

Thanks for the warm welcome. And Jason, thanks for moving this to the correct topic! I'm still trying to find my way around the board. This place is in East Hartford, called Pho 501, at 501 Main St. If you're ever in town I'll take you to lunch!

My mom, who's 78, and totally into new and different foods, told me about having Pho while visiting in Virginia with my brothers family, so I've been looking for it ever since. I had also heard snippets about it on NPR etc. , and also about College Inn coming out with a canned version of the broth. So funny-I found the "Vetnamese Beef Broth" by College Inn at Ocean State Job Lot! I have yet to try it.

I spotted this place after eating lunch one day at "Ok it's fast and cheap" Subway. I couldn't wait to go the next day and usually try to get there 1-3 times a week. Last year the owners went on vaca. to Viet Nam for three weeks, and when I read the sign on the door, I almost started crying! I'm such an addict. Ciao, Jane

JANE