• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Heads

bloviatrix

I gotta get dumpling to come with us to China 46 for some Fish Head Casserole. Yum, yum!
  • post-5-1055122606.jpg
    picture came out a little blurry, sorry.

I like getting whole fish at Thai restaurants. After the body is separated, I use the head like a puppet and tease Jason, "how you could let her eat me?" I squeal.  :raz:  I love that bit of meat on the top of the head, reminds me of the oyster of a chicken, not in taste but in diggingoutedness. :cool:

Thanks so much Rachel. :blink: I am now officially blind....

I've made gefilte fish from scratch only once. 

Traditionally, it's "stuffed" fish... that is fish skin or heads that have been stuffed with  or wrapped around a ground fish mixture.

I have some photos of the project, including making the fish stock from the heads, bones, etc.  Take a look at this page if you like.

My mother is one of those people who loves picking apart a fish head... she's always relished the opportunity to do so.

Personally, I think it's a lot of work for a few tasty morsels, but I understand the attraction.

As far as people having an aversion to certain parts of an animal, it reminds me of the joke:

A man walks into a diner and asks the waiter "What's the blue plate special?"

The waiter says "We have some nice boiled tongue today"

The patron says "That's DISGUSTING, I'd never eat anything that comes out of an animals mouth!!"

The waiter says "Well, how about a nice poached egg then?"

I respectfully contend that if one can eat an egg, one can eat most things on the planet. Fortunately the fact that unfertilized chicken ovum tastes great overwhelms the idea of what it is and where it comes from

Okay, so I'm a wimp. Wanta make something of it? Chicken eggs at 40 paces...Go!

In the immortal words of Ken Boswell('69 Miracle Mets), "I don't see how anyone can get so excited about anything that comes out of a chicken's butt".

I love that bit of meat on the top of the head, reminds me of the oyster of a chicken, not in taste but in diggingoutedness. :cool:

Oyster of a chicken? What, exactly, is that?

For the record, I like fishheads, goatheads, chickenheads - basically, the head of anything I like to eat, generally. The flesh thereof, though not the brains, at this stage of my life. Eating a monitor lizard head, though - or any other part of a monitor lizard - isn't something I want to do in this lifetime. I have childhood memories from rural Malaysia of giving monitor lizards a wide berth and being a bit scared of those huge carnivores that eat chickens and could eat a baby if it were close enough to them. Besides, as New Orleanian friends of mine used to say, they are ugly with a capital UGH!

Michael aka "Pan"

I love that bit of meat on the top of the head, reminds me of the oyster of a chicken, not in taste but in diggingoutedness. :cool:

When disjointing the chicken thigh from the carcass, if you cut the meat straight down the back, you would miss the tip of the thigh meat called the "oyster", and leave it attached to the back. To remove it in one piece with the thigh, it is necessary to carefully cut along the back and hip bone of the chicken.

I saw this on Julia many years ago.

I gotta get dumpling to come with us to China 46 for some Fish Head Casserole. Yum, yum!
  • post-5-1055122606.jpg
    picture came out a little blurry, sorry.

I like getting whole fish at Thai restaurants. After the body is separated, I use the head like a puppet and tease Jason, "how you could let her eat me?" I squeal.  :raz:  I love that bit of meat on the top of the head, reminds me of the oyster of a chicken, not in taste but in diggingoutedness. :cool:

Thanks so much Rachel. :blink: I am now officially blind....

I second Dumpling on this one.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

When disjointing the chicken thigh from the carcass, if you cut the meat straight down the back, you would miss the tip of the thigh meat called the "oyster", and leave it attached to the back. To remove it in one piece with the thigh, it is necessary to carefully cut along the back and hip bone of the chicken.

I saw this on Julia many years ago.

Ah, but the trick, when serving a whole chicken, is to not so carefully carve and save the "oyster" for a cook's treat in the kitchen. :wink:

Personally, I've never eaten a fish head - probably never will. But, in the restaurant world serving the whole fish - often slit up the middle and delicately stuffed - is a part of the whole presentation process, signaling things like freshness and (yes) eye appeal. :laugh:

As was stated earlier, most restaurants will indeed take the head off if requested. But, in my experience the chefs still prefer to make the presentation first, then have the server bring it back to kitchen for decapitation. Why order a whole stuffed trout if if you don't want to experience the whole feel. Otherwise might as well stay home an open a can of tuna fish.

What about lobsters? Does it bother you when they get dunked in boiling water and come out all steamed and red, with those tiny eyes and their giant claws now uselssy holding a lemon wedge ? (Hopefully, most of you know they have a very unevolved, if practically nonexistent nervous system - no they really aren't screaming, that's just the sound of air whistling through the shell and the water bubbles). I've always thought they looked pretty scary on a plate ready to dig into, but visitors (and many natives) to New England love them!

I think it's mostly a cultural thing. In some places they eat live octupi. How would you like that served up on your plate? I understand the suction on their tentacles cling to the sides and roof of your mouth as one tries to chew them or more likely gulp them down!

As was stated earlier, most restaurants will indeed take the head off if requested. But, in my experience the chefs still prefer to make the presentation first, then have the server bring it back to kitchen for decapitation. Why order a whole stuffed trout if if you don't want to experience the whole feel. Otherwise might as well stay home an open a can of tuna fish.

What about lobsters? Does it bother you when they get dunked in boiling water and come out all steamed and red, with those tiny eyes and their giant claws now uselssy holding a lemon wedge ? (Hopefully, most of you know they have a very unevolved, if practically nonexistent nervous system - no they really aren't screaming, that's just the sound of air whistling through the shell and the water bubbles).

Well, as someone who keeps kosher, lobsters really aren't an issue.

:laugh::laugh:

Regarding the presentation of whole fish, when I was Venice I ordered bronzino and whole fish came out on the plate. I managed to quell my disgust and eat the fish - leaving the head in tact. It never occurred to me to send it back.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

My lovely husband brought home a whole rainbow trout today. I was unaware of this development until he walked up behind me and said "look." I turned around to see a fish staring me in the face.

Guess who was responsible for making dinner tonight. :biggrin::raz:

She said the meat from the cheeks was the best part of the fish.

Ah! the cheeks are divine, as are the collars -- yellowtail, salmon, halibut, cod.

My favorites are yellowtail collars, cod cheeks, halibut cheeks.

What about woodcock head? I hear the brains are quite a delicacy. There is a recipe in the Roux bros. cookbook and a picture of it presented with it's head and neck split for easy access to the" tasty " bits.

In yakitori joints in Japan, they often serve chicken brains. I've eaten my share of hog/cow brains, but had never tried chicken brains until a couple of months ago.

I think it's mostly a cultural thing. In some places they eat live octupi. How would you like that served up on your plate? I understand the suction on their tentacles cling to the sides and roof of your mouth as one tries to chew them or more likely gulp them down!

In Korea they frequently serve live octopi -- san saebal nakji. It's a specialty of Cheolla province. They stick onto your mouth and throat with their little suckers, so the trick is to wrap them in a leaf and follow immediately with a shot of soju to make them release. Actually, pretty good with a dash of gochujang as well.

In Korea and Japan small salt-grilled fish (shioyaki in Japanese) come out with head and guts intact.

In Japan, with sanma (is this the right Japanese name, Torakris?) the insides are slathered over the flesh as a sort of sauce or relish.

Also, in Korea, the head (along with rest of carcass and guts) shows up as the main ingredient in maeun-tang, a delicious spicy fish soup often eaten after a long night of drinking to ward off a hangover.

Dwaeji mori (pork head) is a popular anju (drinking snack) in Korea, but it is just slices of meat from the head, not the whole head -- so no visual shock.

Finally, in the chamchi restaurants in Korea (basically, shops that specialize in just tuna sashimi, but where every part is served in an orgy of tuna consumption), the eyeball of the tuna is dropped into a glass of soju for prized customers to shoot.

I once worked on a shrimp boat where the captain said that ANYTHING from the sea could be eaten if prepared correctly. Don't quite agree (vis. fugu liver/ovary), but I think he's damn close to right.

Itadakimasu,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

In Japan, with sanma (is this the right Japanese name, Torakris?) the insides are slathered over the flesh as a sort of sauce or relish.

This is one of the worst foods I have ever eaten and I actually like the guts of some animals! :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

This is one of the worst foods I have ever eaten and I actually like the guts of some animals! :blink:

This falls into the category of foods that I enjoy in certain limited situations.

Much like ika shiokara, I can really enjoy this when it is an accompaniment to drinking or on the table with a lot of other food where it serves as a small, bitter accent item.

A plate of it all alone, with nothing but water to wash it down? No thank you!!

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Fish head, lamb head -- my darling 'trix just has an aversion to head.

~bloviator

No comment. :shock:

Neither shall I make any comment on fresco's choice of emoticon!?!?!

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

We are the total opposite here in Singapore and Malaysia.

Whole fish preferred. One of the standard dishes at chinese banquets is a whole steamed fish, e.g garoupa, pomfret. Even better if it is soon-hock. People drive for miles for unusual fish like patin- a freshwater fish which has a muddy smell but sweet and delicate flesh- steamed whole and served with a carpet of minced ginger to counteract the muddiness.

At the markets, most of the fish are sold whole, as buyers like to check the gills for freshness and the fish is also served whole at home. Either fried and bathed in a sauce, steamed or even baked. We don't really eat the heads of these small and medium sized fish though i would eat the cheeks.

The heads of the bigger fish (not sure which type) is a different matter. Fish head curry is practically a national dish. There is Indian style, probably does not originate in India but should be- this is more spicy than the Peranakan version which has tamarind to give it sourness.

Other ways to enjoy fish head-

-fried and chopped into pieces in a soup with thick rice noodle.

- casserole with yam and vegetables

The cheeks and the gelatinous bits near the jaws and the eye socket are my favourite part. the eyeball is reserved for guest of honour but in reality most people are not that keen to eat it, myself included.

• 3 years later...

So, last night I became the recipient of:

1 large salmon head and filleted tail portion (about 2 inches of body below the gills still there)

1 large cod head (about 1 inch of body below the gills still there) and unfilleted tail portion

The fishmonger at my local store (who is wonderful :wub: ) handed them to me with my order because he knows I like to use leftover filleted frames for stock. Both look quite fresh- clear eyes, bright red gills, but they do smell a tiny bit "fishy"....I suppose I can't expect them to smell the same as fillets :smile: .

The thing is, I know that a lot of people eat the head, especially in curries, but I've never had fish head in my life. Thus, I think I would have a hard time winging it without measurements.....

Could someone kindly post a recipe or 2 in Recipe Gullet or point me to the good rendition on the web? Preferably one that does not involve deep-frying or a cleaver? Other than that, I'm open to most any type of curry (Indian, Thai, etc.) There was one posted earlier upthread, but I'm afraid I don't know what a "pip" is.

If not, I at least know that the cod can produce a nice stock, no? I'm thinking the salmon might be too strong for that application.....

(Currently, they're a rather spooky sight in my fridge. I grew up seeing people remove the gills, so I removed them this morning and set the heads to soak in cold salted water. Good thing I'm not the blogger this week who is obligated to present a fridge shot :biggrin: ).

Look, if i don't eat the fish heads then who will? Heads up...

gallery_52657_4505_19844.jpg

Best bit is the jelly around the eyes, though not as good as the liver (the brown stuff left of the head in the pic with some roe). This one is a wild sea bass, delicious, but as fish livers go i think the best i've tasted are turbot livers. Seriously i think i crave the fish heads and other bits more than the flesh sometimes. I have to fight my mum for it whilst the rest of my family get stuck into the meat!!

MMmm I had some fried fish head at a Japanese buffet Wednesday, partially because it looked good and partially to impress my Chinese co-worker. It was good and did impress him. And it somewhat freaked out the other co-worker at our table eating noodles :wink:

I remember a friend insisting that Yes she wanted the whole fish to an English challenged waiter, then having to cover the head with a lettuce leaf to eat dinner....he kept asking if she wanted the Whole fish

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I buy fish heads and other trimmings for chowder once in a while - its a great value, sometimes free. One day, eventually, I am sure it will be very expensive.

This is a thread worth reviving!

I am a bit afraid to ask, but what is a Bloviatrix?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

well, I was a little unadventurous in this fish head round.....First I roasted the heads with simply salt and pepper, then picked off the cooked flesh (snacking on a lot of it along the way- YUM :biggrin: )

The remaining mix of cod and salmon bits were mixed with an egg, mayonnaise, dry mustard, smoked paprika, Old Bay, and a dash of hot sauce and lime juice for fish cakes. The bones were simmered in separate batches with leek trimmings and celery for cod stock and salmon stock. Haven't decided quite what to do with the stocks, so will probably freeze until inspiration strikes.

Anyway, I could NOT bring myself to even try the eye, or the "eye jelly".....I simply had a mental block. Wish someone else could have enjoyed it.... :wink: