• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Airbrush machines: Basics & Beyond

PastryLady

bKeith, I see that you also use the Aztec Airbrush. I was wondering if you have used it to airbrush with luster dust? I have been wanting to, but everyone I talk to uses something other than the Aztec and I just don't want to mess mine up.

Thank you for any info~~

Kelli

bKeith, I see that you also use the Aztec Airbrush. I was wondering if you have used it to airbrush with luster dust?  I have been wanting to, but everyone I talk to uses something other than the Aztec and I just don't want to mess mine up.

Thank you for any info~~

Kelli

Yep, do it all the time. I've got a couple of those glass bottles that you'd use to hold large amounts of color, and I just keep luster color in them. When I need to airbrush luster, I just pour in some grain alcohol, shake it up, and attach to the brush. Make sure to give it a shake occasionally as you're working so that the color doesn't settle at the bottom and clog up the intake.

I've kept luster in small squeeze bottles. Add some alcohol, shake, and squirt into one of the small color cups. This method works for the Kopykake style airbrush too.

Just make sure to clean the airbrush thoroughly after using luster. The stuff will clog up your brush if you let it sit in there and dry.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

bKeith, I see that you also use the Aztec Airbrush. I was wondering if you have used it to airbrush with luster dust?  I have been wanting to, but everyone I talk to uses something other than the Aztec and I just don't want to mess mine up.

Thank you for any info~~

Kelli

Just to add to Keith's response, I have an KopyKake airbrush and have used it for both color and luster dust. I've totally destroyed my airbrush by sending the dusts through it, probably because I let it get gunked up once and have never been able to get it clean since. Now my brush spits and doesn't do fine lines anymore. Basically it's worthless. Since, I've purchased a cheap Badger airbrush set from Michaels (using a coupon) and for $13 got an airbrush that I can use STRICTLY for doing dusts and such. I've heard the Badger is better for this application because the dust never goes through the brush, making it impossible for the brush to get clogged. I haven't used mine yet so I don't have any firsthand experience with it but it sounds logical and others have said it works. So, rather than destroying a $100 airbrush, I think this investment is well worth it if you plan on using a lot of dusts and are lazy like me and don't get things cleaned well!

On another note, does anyone have any idea if my airbrush can be saved? Or do I need to buy a new one?

Thank you for any info~~

Kelli

Just to add to Keith's response, I have an KopyKake airbrush and have used it for both color and luster dust. I've totally destroyed my airbrush by sending the dusts through it, probably because I let it get gunked up once and have never been able to get it clean since. Now my brush spits and doesn't do fine lines anymore. Basically it's worthless. Since, I've purchased a cheap Badger airbrush set from Michaels (using a coupon) and for $13 got an airbrush that I can use STRICTLY for doing dusts and such. I've heard the Badger is better for this application because the dust never goes through the brush, making it impossible for the brush to get clogged. I haven't used mine yet so I don't have any firsthand experience with it but it sounds logical and others have said it works. So, rather than destroying a $100 airbrush, I think this investment is well worth it if you plan on using a lot of dusts and are lazy like me and don't get things cleaned well!

On another note, does anyone have any idea if my airbrush can be saved? Or do I need to buy a new one?

Bummer about your airbrush. You might try disassembling it (careful -- there are some delicate pieces in there, and the trigger is a B***H to put back together if you're not paying attention when the little unattached piece falls out so you don't know where it comes from and have to spend an hour and a half tinkering with it to get it to go back together correctly), and soaking all the parts in airbrush cleaner overnight. They rinse and dry with a soft cloth, and reassemble. That might loosen the gunk enough to get it out of there. Worth a shot, anyway. I belive there's a shematic of the brush at kopykake.com to help with the disassembly and reassembly.

The cheapo Badger brush interests me. I'm guessing that's the same one Wendy has mentioned for spraying cocoa butter. It's on my list to try, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Great thought with using it for luster as well. I'd be concerned that the result wouldn't be as smooth as I'd like it to be for some luster applications. But one never knows until one tries - heck, they're cheap enough. And if it doesn't work for luster, I can always use it just for cocoa butter. If you get a chance to use luster in it, let us know how you like it.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

Thanks Keith. I did disassemble my airbrush and soak all the parts and reassemble. I know what you mean about that little "mini lever" behind the big lever. That one always gets me! I'm pretty adept at getting the thing back together, other than that little stinker! I emailed KopyKake to see if they could offer any advice, or at least advise on what replacement part they think I should order to correct my problem. I heard the guy there is pretty good at troubleshooting these so we'll see.

I'm anxious to try the badger too. Just as I was about to use it my air tank crapped out on me. I had gunked some stuff on the nozzle and it got stuck and I couldn't get the air on! LOL! Seems I'm really bad at "gunking" stuff and ruining it. So, my prime opportunity to try the badger passed me. My husband fixed my air tank now so I'm ready to go, other than a cake order to use luster on! Isn't that always the way? I'll let you know as soon as I try it. I might just test it now for the fun of it. Like you said, it was real cheap (especially with the coupon) so if it works even for most of my applications I'll be thrilled with it.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up... cuz I finally bought an airbrush yesterday -- Yay!!

I have a couple elementary questions. How to mix the color before filling the gun's container, specifically what do you mix with the color... in what ratios?

I'm brand new to this so no one is allowed to laugh except me. :biggrin:

Di

P.S. Lydia, have you been able to get into airbrushing yet?

Edited by DiH (log)

Not yet. I did order Roland Winbeckler's Airbrush Techniques booklet and have looked through it several times. My goal is to be up and running by the holiday season (Thanksgiving and Christmas)

I hope to purchase my equipment next month. I have a big cake order in the wings that will pay for it.

What brand, model and where did you purchase your equipment?

I hope you plan to give a demo on the use of airbrushing for newbies....

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

Not yet. I did order Roland Winbeckler's Airbrush Techniques booklet and have looked through it several times.  My goal is to be up and running by the holiday season (Thanksgiving and Christmas)

I hope to purchase my equipment next month.  I have a big cake order in the wings that will pay for it.

What brand, model and where did you purchase your equipment?

I hope you plan to give a demo on the use of airbrushing for newbies....

That's right, you've been a busy girl in recent months. I totally understand how you wouldn't have time to mess with "yet another" piece of equipment right now.

The airbrush I got is a Wagner Spraytech System... yep, the whole kit and kaboodle in one box. $90 at Lowe's... as big a hit as my bank account could stand right now. Later on, if I decide I like it or am any good at it, I'll shell out the Big Bucks and upgrade to a "cake decorator's" airbrush.

And yes, of course, I'll be demo-ing -- on how NOT to use an airbrush. :raz:

Di

Edited by DiH (log)

I am totally laughing at your response about the demo. :laugh:

Hmmm, I was just at Lowe's yesterday getting some flowers for my flower boxes for my porch. I'm not much of a gardener but I like things to look pretty so I made a small purchase and the hubby got his hands dirty as I new he would because I'm too girly to get my hands dirty except for icing of course.

I am very interested to see how it goes with the equipment you purchased. I know lots of decorators utilize stuff for cake decorating from the hardware/home improvement stores.

Infact in the wedding cake competion a few months back one or even more used paint sprayers.

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I bought a Badger 250-2 today for spraying chocolate thinned with cocoa butter.

At the art store I bought it from, however, all of the canned propellants contain some nasty-call-poison-control-if-ingested-type chemicals. :blink: I asked the fairly wise staff and they said they'd never heard of canned air being, well, just air. And they agreed they'd never use the canned propellants for anything related to human consumption.

So, short of buying a compressor (which I can't afford at the moment), what suggestions does anyone have? Do you used canned propellant for pastry work? If so, what brand?

Brian Ibbotson

Pastry Sous for Production and Menu Research & Development

Sous Chef for Food Safety and Quality Assurance

It's time for me to upgrade my airbrush...

I know this thread is more focused on cake decorating than chocolates, but that is the application I use it for. I am currently using a Badger 250, but plan on purchasing a Badger 175. I also plan on purchasing a compressor, as long-term it just makes more sense. This is where I'd like some advice. I'm debating between two compressors: the Badger Whirlwind II model and the Badger Bakery model. I know from a PM conversation with someone who works with the Badger 175 they feel that a more powerful compressor might help them with some of the clogging issues they have, but I'm concerned about putting too much pressure behind my cocoa butter and chocolate when I spray it. Your thoughts?

Here's a link to the page showing the two compressors:

http://www.hobby-airbrushes.com/index.html...target=d88.html

Edited to add: For whatever reason, it's not letting me link directly to the compressor page. If you go to that link and then click on the link for compressors on the left hand navigation, and then click on Badger, you can see the two compressors.

Edited by WhiteTruffleGirl (log)

Ok, I don't know anything about using an airbrush, but I do know a little about compressors (mainly for automotive applications).

I just can't imaging spending $129 for an itty bitty compressor (gosh they are so cute).

Here's a site with an airbrush compressor (30 psi, so close to one of the more powerful Badger models) for $49.99 Harbor Freight tools.

Does the airbrush model you have specify a PSI range? I would start by taking a look at the manual.

Ok, I don't know anything about using an airbrush, but I do know a little about compressors (mainly for automotive applications).

I just can't imaging spending $129 for an itty bitty compressor (gosh they are so cute).

Here's a site with an airbrush compressor (30 psi, so close to one of the more powerful Badger models) for $49.99 Harbor Freight tools.

Does the airbrush model you have specify a PSI range? I would start by taking a look at the manual.

I haven't bought the airbrush yet, but in looking on Badger's website (and I'll certainly call first) it seems it can handle the psi. In looking at the compressor you linked to, it looks like it delivers a constant 30 psi. I trolled the website a little and saw another compressor which has variable psi of 0-40. Being self-taught on airbrushing, I don't know if this is important or not. (I learned how to airbrush in order to do molds.) Can someone enlighten me?

Here's a link to the other compressor, which btw, is still cheaper than Badger's (thank you Darcie):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93657

I haven't bought the airbrush yet, but in looking on Badger's website (and I'll certainly call first) it seems it can handle the psi.  In looking at the compressor you linked to, it looks like it delivers a constant 30 psi.  I trolled the website a little and saw another compressor which has variable psi of 0-40.  Being self-taught on airbrushing, I don't know if this is important or not.  (I learned how to airbrush in order to do molds.)  Can someone enlighten me?

Here's a link to the other compressor, which btw, is still cheaper than Badger's (thank you Darcie):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93657

I think it would probably be a good idea to have variable pressure...I assumed the compressor would be variable b/c all of the larger ones we have are...guess I should never assume, huh?

This might inspire me to jump into this, as there is a Harbor Freight tools close by...

I bought a Badger 250-2 today for spraying chocolate thinned with cocoa butter.

At the art store I bought it from, however, all of the canned propellants contain some nasty-call-poison-control-if-ingested-type chemicals.  :blink:  I asked the fairly wise staff and they said they'd never heard of canned air being, well, just air. And they agreed they'd never use the canned propellants for anything related to human consumption.

So, short of buying a compressor (which I can't afford at the moment), what suggestions does anyone have? Do you used canned propellant for pastry work? If so, what brand?

Brian,

You know, that clerk may just be right, we had a not so great visit by the health inspector yesterday, and you want to know what this clowns major infraction was, yup you guessed it, the difluoethane, in the propel is a big no no, I know so many cake decorators that do not have the provisions (or budget) for a compressor, oh well there goes my beer money for the weekend. LOL

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I'm another one hoping to get into airbrushing this year and am about to take the big step and splurge on both airbrush and compressor. I was wondering though, is it ok to use a double action internal mix airbrush to spray thinned chocolate (I know you have to be sure to clean it out properly afterwards or it'll clog)?

Also, as far as paint sprayers are concerned, are there any airless ones out there that can be recommended for spraying large areas with thinned chocolate? I've heard about someone using a Wagner but am not too sure if there's different models or anything and wanted t o check. Thanks :biggrin: !

One of my goals for myself this year is to learn airbrush technology.

What's a good place to purchase the equipment and how should I begin to learn?

Hi Lydia, I've only posted a couple times, but thought I'd pop my head in here to offer up what I did when I purchased my airbrush (kopykake airmaster btw and so far so good for what I use it for). I had never used one either and I kind of go about things backwards with the attitude that I can hopefully figure things out on my own without spending too much $. (a crafter's curse really LOL) I did some searches online for airbrushing tips and hints and didn't specify cake decorating. I actually came across a few interesting sites - mostly for t-shirt style airbrushing - but one of the biggest hints I found was to practice on paper towels and coloring book pages to get the feel of the pen.

With the paper towels, simply practice fine lines, straight and curved, over and over until you feel comforatable with the control, then you can work with stencils or masks by just using scraps of paper, etc. just to get the feel of it. You can do it freehand and also you should practice following lines you've drawn on and sort of trace them with the airbrush. The coloring books are great because you can practice control around the edges of the images and staying in the lines without masking the areas off. Remember, it's always easiest to go back and add more - use several light coats instead of a heavy first coat because you can't take it away but you can always add more.

I love my airbrush! I use it very often, mostly for freehand work or just adding a little background now and then, but it has become an invaluable tool in my studio! Have fun with it! I am interested in moving on to a better airgun/brush for chocolate but it will have to wait until my pocketbook decides I just can't do without one! So I can't offer up any advice on different makes or models, but I hope you find how I practiced technique helpful.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

hello eGullet pastry and baking forum. long time listener, first time caller. have a question concerning airbrush set-ups. what do you have, what do you use and why. I do have my wagner sprayer for larger cocoa butter spraying but want an airbrush for finer detail work, sugar work and spraying chocolate molds. I've looked at compressors from chef rubber and for some reason they run 800- 1100 bucks for the same psi and capacity you can get for under a hundred at the hardware store. I know some are ment to run multiple airbrushes for large cake shops and such.

how about delivery systems? gravity feed versus bottom feed? compressor tank capacity?

communication is a great thing. looking forward to swapping information.

hello eGullet pastry and baking forum. long time listener, first time caller. have a question concerning airbrush set-ups. what do you have, what do you use and why. I do have my wagner sprayer for larger cocoa butter spraying but want an airbrush for finer detail work, sugar work and spraying chocolate molds. I've looked at compressors from chef rubber and for some reason they run 800- 1100 bucks for the same psi and capacity you can get for under a hundred at the hardware store. I know some are ment to run multiple airbrushes for large cake shops and such.

how about delivery systems? gravity feed versus bottom feed? compressor tank capacity?

communication is a great thing. looking forward to swapping information.

Welcome to the board! There is a thread that says "chocolate with that showroom finish" and I think there is plenty of discussion regarding airbrushing. I contacted Badger and they recommended for chocolate use the "100LG (gravity feed) airbrush" I would get the Medium tip. They also recommended the Badger 180-10 diaphragm compressor with the #50-053 regulator. I don't have the regulator but I do have the compressor. You can get the compressor from Michaels and using a coupon you can get an excellent deal! I use the airbrush from the badger 250 kit that sells for approx $35. The kit is a good start but I am going to get the gravity feed 100 LG soon!.

I contacted Badger and they recommended for chocolate use the "100LG (gravity feed) airbrush" I would get the Medium tip.  They also recommended the Badger 180-10 diaphragm compressor with the #50-053 regulator. I don't have the regulator but I do have the compressor.  You can get the compressor from Michaels and using a coupon you can get an excellent deal!  I use the airbrush from the badger 250 kit that sells for approx $35.  The kit is a good start but I am going to get the gravity feed 100 LG soon!.

I used the badger 250 for a bit, but recently purchased the 100LG with a medium tip. If you do, note that the cap for the cup must be ordered separately. I spilled a bit until mine came in the mail. I'm currently using a cheap Black&Decker compressor meant for inflating car tires and basket balls. It's terribly noisy, but it works so I haven't bought another one yet. What I did do was purchase a third party regulator and I highly recommend doing so. It really helps to be able to adjust the strength of the flow.

My observations so far:

The 100LG with gravity feed does draw a finer line than the 250, but it's still not pencil thin. Painting the inside of a mold cavity significantly degrades the ability to draw a fine line as the blowback messes up the stream. However you can still paint just part of the cavity which allows for more effects. I'll post a couple examples when I get home.

You will need the assistance of a heat gun to keep cocoa butter flowing through the brush. I found that the tip cools enough after a minute or so of spraying that the stream diminishes significantly. I'm contemplating some sort of electric heating element for it so I don't have to stop so frequently. Bench mounting a heat gun so you only have to hold the brush over it is a second best technique.

I haven't experienced a total lockup of the brush and even if I did, I believe a heat gun would clear it up enough that it could be dismantled and cleaned.

A paint brush is still faster if you want to lay down a heavy coat. The strong flow of air will prevent you from laying down a thck coat in one step as it will push it away from the point of application.

I ordered a "splatter tip" for the brush but haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. I'm hoping that it will duplicate the effect I got with soaking and flicking toothbrush without the huge mess that entailed.