• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mobile and Seafood

Blondie

Thank you for a very interesting Q&A :smile:

I spent many summers in Point Clear as a child, and several years in Mobile when I was older. Many of my favorite food memories revolve around seafood and fish: oysters, crawfish, shrimp right from the shrimp boats down in Bayou La Batre, the Jubilee. Do you have any favorite soul food dishes that use seafood? I know you live in NY now, but do you know what the food and dining scene is like in Mobile these days?

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Hi Blondie,

When I was in high school we used to go to Mobile for the annual Mardi Gras. I, too have memories of splendid seafood, including fried oyster sandwiches, with the crisp morsels sprinkled with hot sauce and smeared with a dab of vinegary tartar sauce. I also love some of the traditional one pot dishes of the region, especially the stews made of chicken, shrimp, okra and tomato; kind of a mini-gumbo.

But my favorite must be Shrimp Jambalaya, which is a pot of shrimp, sausage, tomatoes, laced with garlic and herbs, and simmered with rice. Real yummy.

I was in Mobile the summer of 2002. My sister-in-law and I had lunch at a local groaning board restaurant; a buffet of down-home favorites. Neither one of us can remember the name of the fingerlickin' joint. But I am sure there are many "New South" restaurants about; the city has changed.