• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting Food Stuffs

turtle

A lot of Southern cookbooks and some Soul Food cookbooks that I have seen use some pretty interesting main ingredients. Recently, in some recipes from some Southern Cookbooks I have seen Rabbit, Dove, Alligator, Squirrel and even Turtles!

Do you use any unique or different foodstuffs such as these? How do you feel about it?

Thank you.

Hi Turtle,

I grew up in the rural Deep South in a family with five brothers. They hunted. I remember eating rabbit, possum, raccoons. When I went to France I encountered a lot of rabbit again, lapin, served up with a fancy sauce, and frog legs and snails.

A few summer backs when I was renting an apartment in Paris, the local butcher used to tease me that he was going to pawn off the horse meat for the ground beef I requested. I said my prayers.

People all around the world eat all kind of meat. But in the past decade or so, I have been moving more toward the eating pattern of my ancestors: lots of greens and peas, and beans, and sweet potatoes and rice and other grains, and very little meat of any kind. Fish a couple time per week, as a health throw-in.

So enjoy your turtles; years ago I had the pleasure, and as I remember, it tasted just like chicken, with a little heavier flavor.