• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alsatian cookbooks

mariaandphil

I assume a healthy cookbook is one that is selling well. :biggrin:

On the other hand, if you're looking for a cookbook that meets accepted dieticians' definitions of health food, well bear in mind that Alsace is best known for choucroute served with lots of fatty pork, fresh, cured and smoked.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, perhaps everydoby didn't need to jump down your throat like that. But... this is perhaps the last region in France (maybe the last region on earth) to think of a "healthy" cookbook for - what made you ask that?

I have a number of cookbooks on Alsace cooking that I buy in Alsace, and if you take away the butter, cups of heavy cream, pints of goose fat, and slabs of bacon, you'd be left with blank pages. I've never seen any Alsace cookbooks here.

If you're curious to see what's avaiable in the traditional books, go to www.alapage.com, and search for things like "Alsace Cuisine". This excellent site will sell the books to you on-line, and they arrive in the states in about a week with just the standard shipping - a credit card and an ability to read some French are all that's needed.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's