• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q: Who sold more?

Tom-Having eaten the lamb shank when it first appeared on the menu at Allison on Dominick, and then following you to Cascabel to eat more of them, I'm wondering how many lamb shanks have you served in your day? If you haven't kept count, well just tell us how many you sell a day and we'll do the math. But all kidding aside, there aren't many chefs I can think of who are single handedly responsible for the success of a cut of meat the way you are with lamb shank. Before it appeared at Allison, I had never seen it served anywhere. Going from nowhere to making it a staple of the New York restaurant scene is a pretty big accomplishment.