• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eating in Oxford

About two years ago I was with someone who asked Gerry about the disabled sign and he said that it was urban myth and that the sign had never changed. I am sure that you can see why I posted the apparently incorrect correction.

He was obviously too embarassed to admit the truth. I fully accept that if you insist that it was so.... then it was so.

I must never take a restauranteur at his word

I was taken there by my employer at the time PURELY to show me the sign. Trust me, it was there in full view.

Its nice to know that Gerry has mellowed with age.... but frightening to think that he could have been even more un PC than he still is!

I should alos say that I am very glad that the sign has gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Is your friend at one of the colleges for the conference?  Was at a training course at St Catz a few years back and found the food surprisingly acceptable ...

Cheers

Yin

He will be eating at one of the colleges (not sure which one) part of the time.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. It sounds like a worthwhile effort to try some of the places outside of town. I may come back with a question or two and hopefully will have some feedback (secondhand--but reliable!) after the trip.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Forgot about the legendary Gerry Stonhill's place. Once referred to as 'the most arrogant man in England' by Michael Winner. I do like irony...

He used to have a sign above his door, proclaiming 'No kids, no mobile phones, no disabled' and used a mobile phone scrambler so no one could possibly get a signal.

Needless to say the PC brigade put an end to his rather odd and discriminatory practices. Top food though and always a good selection of fine wines.

Not as rude as the late Squire Tickell of the Tickell Arms, outside Cambridge

"No trainers, tee shirts, long haired lefties, no CND badges, no earrings on men, no waistcoats unless under jackets..."

He was a delightful man mostcharming and courteous, played Wagner loudly, and served good ales and wine, and reasonable staightforward food..

A former famous rude publican was John Fothergill (1920s, landlord of the Spreadeagle at Thame - I have a signed copy of his cookery book, and also his book "An Innkeepers Diary". Avant-garde, he was painted by Augustus John, amongst others.