• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Doug's

VeryApe77

First off, I apologize profusely if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find any pertinent threads.

Recently, I've been lunching a lot at Hot Doug's in Roscoe Village. Now, I'm no true Hot Dog expert (I'm from London for God's sake) but I really, really like this spot. You can get a great Chicago-style polish or Wisconsin-style bratwurst with fries and a soda for around $5...or for $7 or so you can get one of the specials, normally game-based. These cost a bit more, but normally look really good. I'd been avoiding these (due to financial issues) but last time I sprung for the smoked pheasant with moutard sauce and bourbon cheese (my girlfriend got the lamb with garlic and mint, with a tzatziki sauce and feta cheese). Both were truly excellent. We both got the duck fat fries as well, which I also really liked. They did taste different from the regular fries, but I can't really describe how, except to say that they tasted more like a crispier version of traditional British fish-shop style chips then American fries.

Obviously, the whole idea of 'gourmet' hot dogs might seem a wee bit pretentious, if it wasn't for the fact that Hot Doug's doesn't seem too different from any other well-kept Hot Dog stand (prices included) and has a really nice neighborhood vibe. Doug (like myself) seems to be an old punk rocker and I have to congratulate him on turning his obvious passion for encased meats into a seemingly successful business (it's been packed when I've been there). A true Cinderella story!

I was wondering what other small Chicago Hot Dog stands are worth checking out? I'm pretty new to the city, and there's so many of them and the majority of them are pretty mediocre, it can be a little tough to choose.

Hot Doug's

2314 W Roscoe St

Chicago, IL 60618

Phone: (773) 348-0326

http://www.hotdougs.com

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

Thanks for the report VeryApe...I've never even heard of this place. I'm so out of the loop. :sad:

Next time I'm in that neck of the woods I'll give it a try.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Yup, the duck fat fries are only made on Saturday and (I believe) Friday. I should have mentioned that - sorry! I should also mention that it is closed on Sunday and closes a little early - 4 in the afternoon. I normally go on Saturday.

Yup, the duck fat fries are only made on Saturday and (I believe) Friday.

Last time I was there it was Friday (after 1 or 2pm) and Saturday.

I was underwhelmed by the duck fat fries (I expected a rich deep taste to the fries that I did not detect) but it has been awhile so a revisit is in order at some point.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

yes. hot doug's is a good time. i really should visit more often, as i live right down the street from it.

at any rate, you should check out Superdawg in the northwest side. supposedly, they make their own dogs there, but i've never been able to verify this. they definitely taste a hell of a lot better than 99% of the other hot dogs i've had, and are also significantly larger. don't forget to grab some onion chips, and while you're at it, ask them for an extra pickled green tomato or two, it's worth it.

superdawg

6363 n. milwaukee

let us know how you liked it...

disgruntledgrunt

"You don't win friends with salad...

you don't win friends with salad..."

you should check out Superdawg in the northwest side. supposedly, they make their own dogs there,

superdawg

6363 n. milwaukee

Yeah Superdawg :smile:

I did not know they possibly make their own dogs.

Superdawg is a spring tradition for my wife and I. When it warms up the first part of the year, we take a convertible out of storage and hit the Superdawg drive-inn. Fresh air (reasonably :wink: ) and great dogs.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Love Superdawg...don't know the origin of their dogs though.

Years ago I used to date a woman who lived right near there...now, that was love :wub:

=R=

Boo SuperDawg. They were mean to me. Slammed the window shut in my face as I was trying to take a picture of their cooking area.

Nice car hop made it all better though. A SuperDawg veteran. Found me a nice table in the shade and kept the food a coming.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Boo SuperDawg.  They were mean to me.  Slammed the window shut in my face as I was trying to take a picture of their cooking area.

They weren't being mean. That's just Chicago hospitality! :laugh:

Seriously, did you tell them that you're a famous food maven from Philly and then ask for permission to case the joint--ah, I mean photograph the place for publicity's sake?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

yes. hot doug's is a good time. i really should visit more often, as i live right down the street from it.

at any rate, you should check out Superdawg in the northwest side. supposedly, they make their own dogs there, but i've never been able to verify this.  they definitely taste a hell of a lot better than 99% of the other hot dogs i've had, and are also significantly larger. don't forget to grab some onion chips, and while you're at it, ask them for an extra pickled green tomato or two, it's worth it.

superdawg

6363 n. milwaukee

let us know how you liked it...

That would explain the line of cattle entering at the rear of the store. :hmmm:

Honestly, Superdawg is a charming drive-in with carhop service & everything. And those pickled tomatoes are a wonderful (and tasty) touch.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Seriously, did you tell them that you're a famous food maven from Philly and then ask for permission to case the joint--ah, I mean photograph the place for publicity's sake?

I assumed they would recognize me as such. :biggrin:

I did then ask permission. The mean man graciously snapped, "NO PICTURES" Then he closed the window again. But yes, I should have called ahead. Alas that hasn't been my style.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I've been Superdawgged this past week. I went with my cousin, and she said "Listen for the Hiya!" (Their typical greeting)

I pressed the carhop button.

"Welcome to Superdawg, do you know what you want?"

I begrudgingly ordered one of their famous Super Dogs and a strawberry shake (NOT so thick that you could stand a straw up in it), and they brought it out pretty damn fast.

My cousin rolled down her window, and greeted the carhop with a "Hiya". God Bless her.

The dogs were actually quite good, with the green dye number five relish supreme and a juicy snap to the casings. It wouldn't surprise me if they did make them on site, those dogs, but somehow I doubt they do. Good joint though. Just kinda out of the way for pretty much anyone.

I've been meaning to go to Superdog for AGE'S now. I think I'll make the voyage this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Of course, theres also Weiner Circle. Forget about Tru or Trio, Weiner Circle at 4:15 A.M really is cuisine as performance art.

Of course, theres also Weiner Circle. Forget about Tru or Trio, Weiner Circle at 4:15 A.M really is cuisine as performance art.

Wiener's Circle is probably my fave and yes, quite a show...luckily (or unluckily for my ever-growing midsection) I live near Dear Franks (in Deerfield) and it's top-notch too. Very best fries north of the city IMO.

=R=

Just kinda out of the way for pretty much anyone.

Luckily it's right on the way home from the airport for me. We always stop for dinner on the way home after a late flight.

The best thing about SuperDawg is the architecture, though. We don't have many examples of that flashy 50s style in Chicago.

Holly's pictures of SD

The best thing about SuperDawg is the architecture, though. We don't have many examples of that flashy 50s style in Chicago.

Yeah...and those R. Crumb characters on the roof are legendary 'round these parts.

=R=

SuperDawg does not make their own hot dogs. They are different than the usual Chicago Hot Dog in that they don't use the Vienna Frank. They use a brand called Sinai 48 which is made in Chicago by Best Kosher. This company also makes the Best Kosher brand as well as the Shofar brand sold in New Jersey. I think that all 3 brands may be made from the same recipe, but I'm not sure of this. The Sinai 48 dog served at Superdawg has a bolder, spicier flavor than the Vienna frank.

John the hot dog guy

I think that all 3 brands may be made from the same recipe, but I'm not sure of this.

Sinai 48 and Best Kosher used to taste slightly different from each other but now that both brands are under the same ownership, I don't know if that's still the case.

Alex, who used to run the Sinai 48 Outlet store on Pershing Avenue was my dad's first boss way back in the day. He used to hook me up all the time. Since the Sinai 48 stuff was what I grew up with, its flavor always stood out for me as being a bit less sweet than Best Kosher and maybe a touch less garlicky too.

Still, Vienna are my favorite.

=R=

• 3 months later...

I had wanted to try Hot Doug's for a really long time & finally went last friday. It was completely worth the wait. I had 2 dogs...

The first was a Wagyu dog with the usual Chicago dog toppings, minus the relish (as per Doug's recommendation). To me this just tasted like a really excellent hot dog...a level above Vienna & Hebrew Nat'l. If you're gonna have a Chicago-style, this is the way to go. Price was not bad either at $3.

The next dog was a Swiss & Mushroom Pork Sausage. It had a blue cheese dijonaisse sauce & sauteed Shiitake mushrooms. This was absolutely delicious.

I also had the duck fat fries. I wasn't blown away but maybe my expectations were too high. But don't get me wrong, they were really good french fries. They looked like they were also cut thinner than the regular fries. Not sure about that, though. I'd like to try the regular fries though for comparison.

Also, the buns seemed to be a little better than the usual hot dog bun.

I highly recommend this place & I, myself, can't wait to go back again.

Hot Doug's website

edited for spelling

Edited by viaChgo (log)

My reaction to the duck fat fries was about the same - really good fries, but not good enough to live up to all the hype.

They are cut thinner than the regular fries, so they can be cooked all in one go instead of being double cooked.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40