• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish restaurants

rina900

Tapas De España which is actually in Hudson County, but quite close.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=12014

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

No, Fornos is beginner, tourist Spanish, and not very good either.

Here are some previous discussions of the food of the ironbound:

Newark Restaurants
great restaurant in ironbound district
Spanish Sangria-Newark
Casa Vasca/Newark

Check out some of the places recommended in those threads and get back to us.

For both the person wanting something in Bergen and the one driving from Monmouth, Tapas de Espana is worth the drive.

• 3 months later...

Are they moving to Englewood, or opening a second location? Their web site isn't working, which made me wonder if they're still open!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 5 months later...

Where are decent Spanish restaurants in Monmouth? I'm looking for more authentic Spanish, something beyond what's served at a Mirasol or Portuguese Manor. Does it exist???

:D

Here's a two excellent ones in Bergen County:

If you liked Picasso then you'll love Segovia.

Segovia Restaurant

150 Moonachie Road

Moonachie, N.J.

(201) 641-4266

http://www.segoviarestaurant.com/

I also highly recommend an exceptional Brazilian-Spanish restaurant.

Solar do Minho

15 Cleveland St.,

Belleville

(973) 844-0500

Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. seven days a week

It's located right off Washington Avenue and easy to get to from Rt 21.

They serve up the very best rodizio, the grilled meat platter is delicious it's a very large sampling of the rodizio meats, their filet mignon is wonderful and for a treat the sizzling steak on a shingle is a conversation piece. I have not tried it, but, their octopus appy is supposed to be the best! Really, you should try it and I also recommend making reservations if your going on the weekend as they are busy every night of the week.

By the way the Tapas De Espana in Englewood is very good, in my opinion. We've only been there once so far for Mothers Day, and it was very crowded, but we enjoyed it a lot.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I went to Pearl of the Sea in Long Branch. The manila clams (appetizer) were the only good part of the meal. The sangrea was good, however $18 per pitcher (we had one). The bartender looked dumbfounded when I asked for caipirinha.

Meals averaged $18 and I got out of the place spending $100 (w/tip) for 2. I don't feel that I got my money's worth. I'd still rather go to Mirasol or Portuguese Manor. They're both better, cost less and serve caipirinha.

Went to Mirasol tonight. We got caipirinha and a soft shell crab appetizer. The Caipirinha was great. The softie didn't have its face cut off nor did it have its lungs removed. Shame on this place. Ironbound is the only place for good Portuguese.