• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Noodlehead

tejon

Last weekend, I traveled to Portland with my husband. Armed with a list of likely places to find good food, we ended up driving down Broadway in search of the Blue Nile for some Ethiopian. Alas, as it was Sunday, the restaurant was closed :sad: Both of us were quite hungry at this point, and weren't relishing the thought of trying to navigate yet another set of one way or otherwise unmarked streets (what is up with that?). Then I looked across the street, and saw Noodlehead. Hmmm.....Vietnamese and Thai food? Noodles? Score!

Oh, my. The pad thai my husband ordered was divine - just spicy enough, with tender meat and noodles with just the right amount of bite. I had egg roll noodle salad, a perfect contrast of crispy, pork and noodle filled egg rolls on top of fine noodles, lettuce, cucumber, cilantro, and a sweet fish sauce. Add in some Thai iced tea, and we were in heaven.

I'm torn between being glad we found such an incredible place to eat and the horrible realization that it is now TWO STATES AWAY :shock:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I had egg roll noodle salad, a perfect contrast of crispy, pork and noodle filled egg rolls on top of fine noodles, lettuce, cucumber, cilantro, and a sweet fish sauce.

This sounds like my favorite dish at Noodlehead--my beloved Noodlehead--one of my favorite restaurants in high school that closed several years ago. Matthew and I often mourn for it. Is it possible that it's been resurrected? The dish was called Spring Roll Noodles, and I've never seen it anywhere else.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

The dish was called Spring Roll Noodles, and I've never seen it anywhere else.

I think that was it! My heavens, was it ever good.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The dish was called Spring Roll Noodles, and I've never seen it anywhere else

Saigon Kitchen, my old standby and practically next door to Blue Nile at NE 9th and Broadway, serves this as Cha Zio Noodle (cha zio may not be the precise spelling, but it's what they call spring rolls). I've had it at several other Vietnamese restaurants, most of which offer several variations of something (spring roll, fish balls, barbecued pork, etc) on a bowl of rice noodles with mung sprouts, lightly pickled carrot, lettuce, cilantro, and nuoc mon, and often topped with chopped peanuts or fried shallots.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I had egg roll noodle salad, a perfect contrast of crispy, pork and noodle filled egg rolls on top of fine noodles, lettuce, cucumber, cilantro, and a sweet fish sauce.

This sounds like my favorite dish at Noodlehead--my beloved Noodlehead--one of my favorite restaurants in high school that closed several years ago. Matthew and I often mourn for it. Is it possible that it's been resurrected? The dish was called Spring Roll Noodles, and I've never seen it anywhere else.

Don't they serve this at Viet Chi (maybe not the right name) right next door to the Arctic Building (the City of Seattle building with the Dome Room)?

:biggrin: Thanks Tejon for the update on one of my favorite dishes, spring roll noodles. I know where we're eating next weekend!

Here's the skinny for other eGulleters:

Noodlehead Restaurant

4226 NE Broadway

Portland, OR 97232

503-281-6213

Open daily 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

No website - they are faxing a menu to me this morning.

There is also a Noodlehead Restaurant in Beaverton as well (no affiliation).

-Kimo

Tejon,

I think the address is wrong - 4226 would be way out 42nd and Broadway in the Hollywood district - could it be 2426?

For those who remember the brief stint of Misohapi's second restaurant on NE Broadway - that is where Noodlehead is at.

Perhaps it's 2226 NE Broadway (thinking a slip of the keyboard on Kimo's part)? The Blue Nile is at 2225 NE Broadway, and Noodlehead is directly across the street on Broadway, so that might make sense. It's right off NE 24th Ave.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

It is indeed 2226 NE Broadway.

I had a great dinner there last night. If I understood the story correctly, this is the same Noodlehead that used to be in Portland. The waiter seemed to be saying that it has never been gone, but I'm sure it hasn't been there consistently for the last ten years. However, it did used to be Miso Happy. He told me that there were two owners of the Noodlehead/Miso Happy business and that one of them died in a car accident. It was too much for one man to run so Noodlehead on Broadway was sold (to whom I don't understand.)

The food, with an exception, was wonderful. My dad and I went with two young kids and ordered more food than we needed, but we were intrigued. We started with bbq pork and salted prawns. I was disheartened when the pork arrived. It looked dry and stringy--and tasted the same. It was served in the traditional manner except the red sauce was more gelatinous than at most places. The prawns, however, made all of my worries dissappear. These were large, lightly battered and fried, but nothing at all like fried shrimp. These were crisp and flavorful served with onions, green onions, garlic, salt and pepper. This is one of my favorite Asian dishes and I was thrilled to find another restaurant that does such a good job of it. The only other place in town that I think is consistent is Zien Hong on Sandy Blvd. I liked the dish last night because the onions were relatively crisp and it was served piping hot. And, all this for $6. They call it an appetizer, but it was easily entree material.

In addition, we ordered Spicy Beef Phad Thai, Wonton Soup, Prawns and Scallops in Spicy Garlic Black Bean Sauce, and Chicken with Green Beans. The Phad Thai, as previously noted, was excellent. I think this was the dish described at the beginning of this thread. They also serve it with chicken, shrimp, or tofu. I almost missed this one because it is listed under Thai Specials rather than noodles. I had leftovers for lunch and reveled in how fresh it still tasted and how generous they were with the lime--sublime! The scallops and shrimp were great. I particularly noticed that the scallops were flavorful and had great texture. Not a lot of goopy sauce hiding them. My daughter loved the wonton soup, but I was too stuffed to try it.

I highly recommend this restaurant. It was not crowded--I think they could use more business. I have to say that I am not a fan of Miso Happy, but Noodleheads might become a staple.

in beaverton- I live there and have never seen noodlehead, perhaps you are thinking of NoodleMe? it's a japanese noodle place. Some of the best miso ramen I've ever had, and their peanut sauce is awesome.

I highly recommend this restaurant. It was not crowded--I think they could use more business. I have to say that I am not a fan of Miso Happy, but Noodleheads might become a staple.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I've never been a fan of Miso Happy either and so started to dismiss this place.

btw, where are the best Vietnamese restaurants for items other than Pho? I love Pho Van in the Pearl (it's surprisingly better than the one on 82nd, which doesn't make sense, and the menu is better, too) for their lotus and banana blossom salads and some of their other non-pho dishes. Any other good places I should try?

• 10 months later...

Matthew and I were in Portland a couple of weeks ago and went to Noodlehead for dinner with friends. The food was delightful. The spring roll noodles, while not the same as those in my memory, were delicious (we had vegetarian as we were with vegetarian friends; next time I want pork). Everyone enjoyed the prawns in tamarind sauce, and the green beans were great. I can't remember everything we had, but it was all good. The surprising thing was that the restaurant was empty while we were there, and our friends went back on a Saturday night and said it was empty then too. Support your local Noodlehead.

(It is definitely not the same Noodlehead--I swear that one was a few blocks west on Broadway from the present one, and that one had a very distinctive, totally different decor, and different style of menu--but it sounds like, from nwells's post and the similarities we observed, that it must have some of the same owners or staff. The decor is very pleasant, by the way, light and airy.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Hollis and i live in this neighborhood and always make fun of the name "noodlehead", but looks like we will check them out.

Saigon Kitchen is now Chino Saigon and though they claim it is the same kitchen & wait staff, I doubt it. They were TERRIBLE the only 2 times I went after the change in ownership and inflexible (before you could make up stuff to order not on the menu, etc)...

hollis would agree with you MSG, but they had one delicious dish not on the menu--something like hot & spicy tofu with asparagus...and even though you in particular are a total restaurant snob, it was undeniably delish to many who tried it!!!!! :rolleyes: