• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sake, Adams Morgan

WoodleyGrrl

Well, it was actually pretty good. They have this happy hour special from 5-7 where they give you a free glass of sparkling wine, 20% off the food items, and then some chocolate covered strawberries for "dessert". The sushi and maki were pretty good...by no means the best I have ever had, but I have to say that the vibe in the joint is pretty cool. Very laid back, kind of a Kimpton-Hotel thing going on with interesting music, and a very interesting light set up. The crowd is not your typical 20-somethings, rather a more professional after work crowd.

The service was really good, never for a moment was there an empty glass. I had one of the best dirty martinis ever.

I hope that this place survives, as that corner has turned over ownership about 1/2 dozen times.

The actual menu has about 25 items on it...all japanese.

You all should check it out.

Jennifer

Where in Adams-Morgan is it, exactly?

I think Adams-Morgan is filling up with nice places to get a drink and a snack (but not necessarily a big dinner). I'd place Mantis and Mezze in this category.

Saki is on the corner of Columbia and 18th. I believe it is where Columbia Station and Whisper used to be.

I forgot to add that the one disturbing thing about the place was the really ugly couple sitting next to us that made out the entire evening. I mean I can handle some PDA, but in this case I almost vomitted.

Jennifer

A friend and I stopped by Sake (Saki? Sp?) in July, pretty late on a Thursday night (maybe around 11?). Honestly, I found it awful. It's a poor imitation of a place like Morimoto or Pod in Philly--white white walls, colored lighting, a trying too hard crowd. I had one of the worst saketinis I've ever had--it was just off-- and tiny, and over-priced for the quality of sake ($10).

The crowd was QUITE young (tho I suppose that's Adams Morgan) and that's coming from a 26-yr-old! I'd say mostly 22, 23, (and dare I say younger?). And the place was very very loud.

Also, the bar area is right next to some seats, so we ordered a drink and went to sit down (on some incredibly LOW chairs), and were promptly and rudely asked to move, since we hadn't ordered from the waiter (who was nowhere to be seen before).

Anyways, I thought it was pretty lame. Tho I did NOT eat there, so I can't speak to that.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

It is Sake (not saki, my bad), but I have to say that I am not sure that this place is trying to be a high end place like Nobu or Morimoto's or whatever the "it" flavor of the day is. I was only commenting that for an Adams Morgan watering hole, where you can have a good drink, listen to a good DJ, and have some ok food for a reasonable price...this place is pretty good.

I mean, you could go to Toledo Lounge or Milly and Al's if you want to. But for my dollar, I think that Sake is a welcome addition to the neighborhood. If you want to have a nice dinner and drop some serious change, PLEASE go to one of the places with the $150 prix fix menus. But if you want to have a good drink, some snacks, and hang out with your friends, I can't think of a better place in AM.

Jennifer

Sake's OK. I went dancing there a couple of weekends ago--but it is very loud to lounge around (at least later on).

Have you tried Mantis in A-M? Comfy couches, good Asian bites and decent drinks as well.

Liam

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic