• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosa Mexicano

Swankalicious

Anyone know when this restaurant is slated to arrive in DC?

Last I heard was October, but my information is a few months out of date, so it may or may not be valid any more. Whenever it is, I'm looking forward to it.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

More info please - what, where, etc?

What: High-end Mexican with two locations in NYC, famous for guacamole made tableside, giant stacked enchiladas that are cut into wedges like layer cakes, killer drinks, and huitlacoche (corn-smut).

Where: 575 7th St NW, which is the block between Jaleo and the MCI center.

Etc.: If you search for Rosa Mexicano on the New York Board you will find several threads about it. See also http://www.rosamexicano.com/

MadVal, Seattle, WA

I guess people are figuring out that there is a severe lack of good Mexican food in the area. Jeff Tunks is opening something Rosslyn and isn't there another Mexican place opening up somehwere (I may be confused though)?

Bill Russell

I passed by Rosa Mexicano. It's at the corner of 7th and F. There is paper in the windows and an application for a liquor license, but from what I was able to see the interior looks a several solid months away from being ready to open.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

• 4 weeks later...
I passed by Rosa Mexicano.  It's at the corner of 7th and F.  There is paper in the windows and an application for a liquor license, but from what I was able to see the interior looks a several solid months away from being ready to open.

They were moving in furniture on Saturday evening (7pm-ish) 2 weeks ago, which was kind of surprising, but I guess they expect the take on opening to make up for the overtime they're paying the setup crew.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

• 2 months later...
This joint opens this Saturday.

if i lived the in the area, i'd be preparing for a sunday morning hangover.

That good, huh? I might wait until after the holidays to try this out. Besides, my weekend hangover this week is scheduled for Saturday.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Hello, I ate at the new Rosa Mexicano by the MCI center last night, I was wondering if others had been yet and what they thought. Upscale Mexican is a hard sell for me, but it was pretty good. They prepare the guacamole table side and it is good, they bring out a few different hot sauces that are good also. The red snapper stuffed with crab looked great, I was too full too try anything other than app's as we originally just went for drinks as our friend is the bar manager. I did try the calamari and it was average. The pomegrande margaritas were out of this world, and worth at least stopping by the bar for.

Anyway, let me know if you have eaten there and what you think, I think for the prices you pay for entrées there (20-28) I would eat at one of my fine dinning fav's other than upscale Mexican. I just think that for value, you can not beat Cactus or Lorial, but then again, I am not the biggest fan of Mexican food, but this Rosa Mexicano has sparked my interest and I have heard from Friends in NYC that they love it there...

Sean

• 2 weeks later...