• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyama Sausage Co.

Coop

I've got to say something about this place! It's been in the market for a year or two now across from the really good fish place near the middle door on the south side. They make everything there like Pates, sausages, confit, and an outstanding Rillette (pork and duck). They also have a good selection of cheeses.

The owner and his wife (I believe) are very French and so is the food. Don't miss this place it is worth the battle to get there.

It's fall and we need some more recomendations for great ingredients. Any suggestions?

I frequent this place, Cioffi's and the Gourmet Warehouse.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Great suggestions, Coop. Let me add:

Jolly the Butcher -- a little tricky to find, in an industrial area in North Van under the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge (that's the 2nd Narrows to oldtimers). Excellent fresh pork products, from prune-stuffed loins ready for roasting to a prosciutto-like chewy Danish cured ham to amazingly tender, sweet Swedish ham. Plus lots of Scandinavian imported goods, including those amazing dark chocolate frogs with runny vanilla cream filling, and proper sweet/seedy/spicy mustards to slather on the ham (or you put a dab on the edge of your pea soup bowl to spice up your soup).

Redhead.

Good topic idea!

We go to Bosa's for all of our Italian food stuff. Cioffi's is great but its a little far for us to go and we don't eat that much meat. Any suggestions for a Cioffi's quality butchers on the Westside of Vancouver?

For cheese we go to Les Amis du Fromage on West 2nd Avenue - they seem to be in a class of their own - and we can pick up Ecco il Pane bread there too. I must say I miss the biscotti that Ecco used to make. Does anyone know if they are still making them and if so, where I can buy them ??

For Asian food stuff we generally find ourselves out in Richmond at Yaohan - its hard to beat them for quality, selection and one-stop shopping.

For British food specialties, I hear there is a little store out in Steveston which is very good. Has anyone been out there lately??

Oyama Sausage Co. is indeed the same people that abandoned thier roadside location just this side of Predator Ridge (forgive me I relate all directions to Golf Courses, Restaurants and Strip Bars). It is now located in Granville Island Market in the space that used to be a chicken specialty store and before that a French butcher. It is by the second most westerly door on the southside.

I love A. Bosa as well but find the smell of all the salted cod a little appetite restricting.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Oyama Sausage is one of the best things happening in Vancouver. Terrific products. I like to go to La Grotta Del Formaggio at 1791 Commercial Drive for good quality pastas, oils, vinegars, anchovies etc., and I believe they make their Italian sausages. They carry some very good cheese as well and this is where I pick up my fresh yeast. Famous Foods at 1595 Kingsway is a great place to pick up different flours, nuts & baking goods. They also carry Gina Marie Cream Cheese which I like very much - it's made without gums or fillers added. I've actually got a great list of places to get things from (got it from a cooking instructor) - I'll try to locate it and post some more if anyone's interested

Oyama Sausage on Granville Island is a destination of choice every few days for me. The pancetta is divine, the goose prosciutto and the duck prosciutto are absolutely beautiful and if you have never tried the wild boar lomo, now is the time my friends.

Of course many of you already know that Rob Feenie features the charcuterie of Oyama Sausage at his new restaurant Feenie's with a choice of three items for $15 or six items for $25. I am still at odds with the idea of paying someone to open a package of goodies ready to plate, but then again I have always had a problem with the idea of paying twice as much and more for a bottle of wine to have somone apply a corkscrew to it. :biggrin:

No matter whether you buy the product on GI or at Feenie's, it is well worth it!

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

• 1 month later...

Do any of you use the double smoked bacon? This is great stuff - In the past, I just could not stand the smell of bacon cooking and didn't particularly enjoy eating it until I tasted Omaya's double smoked. I also love their Merguez Sausage. : :raz:

Edited by capers (log)