• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staying at Marriott Wardman Park

mikeycook

My wife is attending a conference in D.C. in January and we are staying at the Marriott Wardman Park. I would be interested in some recommendations for restaurants while we are there. We usually pick one night to go out to a really nice meal (willing to travel around D.C. and environs -- we will have a car) and the rest of the time we look for nice places within a short distance of our hotel.

So, a few questions:

1. If you were only able to choose one restaurant in the D.C. area to go to, say on a Saturday evening, where would it be. This does not need to be near the hotel.

2. What are some of the better restaurants in the area of the Marriot Wardman Park (2660 Woodley Road NW)? We are looking for a range of restaurants (in terms of $$) because we may want to invite friends from the conference (some of whom will be travelling on budgets... and some who will not.)

3. What are some of the better restaurants in Old Town Alexandria? We have friends who live there and will probably try to meet up with them, either in Alexandria or D.C.

All types of cuisine are welcomed.

Thanks.

John

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Within a few blocks of the MW are Lebanese Taverna and New Heights. No one pays much attention to the LT's wine list, but they have some good stuff and beyond reasonably priced.

New Heights has a great wine list too, and pretty inventive food. It's a great spot, overlooking Rock Creek Park. I would recommend both.

Just north of the hotel is a neighborhood called Cleveland Park, that has some great places too. Yanyu and Palena both come to mind (I think both places are covered extensively on the DC forum).

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

The food in Oldtown isn't really on par with the scenery--it's tough to find decent places in that area. I've heard people speak highly of Geranio, but I've never been there myself. There's also Elysium, which is upscale and more of a "special occasion" restaurant. Tom Sietsema likes Majestic Cafe, though I'm not sure why--I've never had a good experience there; the portions are very small and the seating is cramped. My favorite restaurant in Oldtown is Ecco Cafe--a casual Italian restaurant with an extensive menu. It's not particularly innovative cooking, but very reliable and a fun place to go with a group.

As for a do-not-miss restaurant in DC, I'd have to say Zaytinya: architecturally stunning, delicious food, and very well-priced considering the quality.

I second Geranio. Grilled salmon with roasted shallots, mashed potatoes and veal stock can make anyone feel good. I ate that dish the first four times I was there.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Also in the Celveland Park area is the very good Indique (updated Indian) and Spices (casual pan-Asian).

In Old Town I have had good meals both times I have been to Majestic Cafe and being a large guy am particularly sensitive to tables being too close together and didn't get that sense. And although I haven't been, Vermillion there has gotten some good mentions on other threads.

Bill Russell

For the one special meal, you might consider Nectar.

Up in Cleveland Park, you might look at Ardeo as well as Bardeo--its companion wine bar/small food plate room. I second the suggestion of Indique in that neighborhood as well.

Down in Dupont, Johnny's Half Shell, BeDuCi, and Pizzeria Paradiso would be excellent candidates for a meal.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

For the one special meal, you might consider Nectar.

Up in Cleveland Park, you might look at Ardeo as well as Bardeo--its companion wine bar/small food plate room. I second the suggestion of Indique in that neighborhood as well.

Down in Dupont, Johnny's Half Shell, BeDuCi, and Pizzeria Paradiso would be excellent candidates for a meal.

If you are in Cleveland Park, you must go to Yanyu. Order the sushi assortment to start and the Big Duck and Lobster Pad Thai for the main. You won't be disappointed or hungry after that.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark