• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local Lamb Ottawa/Hull

Kenk

I am looking for good recomendations where to get good local lamb in the Ottawa/Hull region.

I like good grass fed lamb but I am also looking for a friend of mine who may want grain fed.

Either side of the Ottawa river is fine, both is better.

You may wish to call first, but when I lived in Ottawa, I was able to get local lamb at Aubrey's Meats in the market area. I'm certain there are other sources but you may have to make a few calls. :smile:

Edited by gourmande (log)

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Saslove's in Byward Market.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Would you like to purchase a whole carcass or divide with another party? My brother has a feeder lamb operation in SW ontario and could possibly sell you a lamb or give sources. His animals are beautiful premium grade and are primarily smaller than supermarket lamb. They are outstanding quality.

Have you ever had Icelandic lamb - to swoon over!!

I am looking for whole carcasess. I also like to know what the animals are fed(grass, grain(no meat please)). I am looking for sources in eastern Ontario but can use sources in SW Ontario too. send me any Info you can. I also am looking at a good balance of fat and lean in the animals. I noticed a shift toward meat that is too lean in common sources.

As for Icelandic lamb, I can imagin they grow lamb(sheep) there, but I can only remeber eating Icelandig herreng.

My brother says he is out of the lamb business this year due to a variety of market factors. It's really a shame, his animals were small, beautifully finished with a fine grained texture. They were grain fed and he used to give talks to other producers about his methods. He usually got top dollar at the Toronto sales.