• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

See's Candy

I  love the dark chocolate ginger. Its not all that sweet, its delightfully strong and gingery. I always thought it was not in the box because it might share too much of itself with other flavors. The 'sharing' is why the mint flavors are not included in any of the prepackaged assortments.

Actually, that is incorrect. The reason that the dark chocolate ginger is not in the box is because it is a favorite of the CEO/President and he has deemed it will *never* be removed from the roster of candies produced, but is consistently not a very good seller. It has never been included as part of the boxes and never will be, but will always be available.

I wish I could find the article online, but I remember reading it as a very lengthy introspective about the company several years ago and as a SoCal native, included bits of local trivia.

Carolyn, the post was meant to acknowledge having learnt from you, not to argue with you.

I am correct as to why the mints are not boxed. I had assumed the reason was same for ginger. You posted a reason for ginger that trumped my assumption.

Rest easy.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I am correct as to why the mints are not boxed. I had assumed the reason was same for ginger. You posted a reason for ginger that trumped my assumption.

No worries - you are probably correct on the mint assumption. It makes perfect sense for that flavor.

• 8 months later...

I've had my first taste of See's chocolates. I like them! I could see myself buying a few pieces were I ever in a See's store, and were I the recipient of a gift of See's chocolates, I'd eat the whole box by myself! With a side of milk, of course, because I thought they were a little too sweet (but not necessarily in a bad way).

Another thing I've learned about See's--they have amazing customer service. When I bit into a walnut chew, I found a bunch of walnut shell pieces. Not so pleasant, and I was lucky I didn't break my already fragile teeth. I wrote to them suggesting they add a warning to their labels. They wrote back for additional information, and they also offered to send me a replacement box of chocolates. I replied it was completely unnecessary, especially since I ate that walnut chew, anyway (just sucked around the shells in my mouth and then spat them out--and yes, I told them that, though not in those words), plus all the rest of the chocolates were gone. And I'm in Japan, and it would cost more to send the chocolates than the cost of the chocolates, themselves!

Well, they wrote again, and offered to send me a gift certificate! Now here's the ethical dilemma--the chocolates were a gift to the office, not just to me. If I accept the gift certificate, do I really have to share the bounty with my co-workers? I'm thinking not, since it was my teeth which were at peril...Oh the guilt! But if I got a box of nuts & chews, I could eat the all by myself!! It's not such a bad thing not to share...is it?

I really liked the caramel (no nuts in it, unfortunately) even though it was kind of sweet, and the chocolate-covered almonds (sort of like a bark) were good, too. The marshmallow thing was quite sweet, but I ate both of them, anyway, since I figured no one else would like them (what a sacrifice...), and I had one other thing...a butterscotch square? I liked that one, too.

I found out See's has a couple of stores in Tokyo, but a 2lb box is more than Y6000 ($60). Ouch.

ETA--I just checked...it's a 1lb box that's Y6090! Holy smokes!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

4 fresh steamed dungeness crabs

2 bottles of Doctor Pepper

a huge bag of spicy BBQ potato chips

See's dark chocolate truffles

at a picnic table on Ruston way in Tacoma, WA

that is how he got me 30 years ago this week :)

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Well, they wrote again, and offered to send me a gift certificate!  Now here's the ethical dilemma--the chocolates were a gift to the office, not just to me.  If I accept the gift certificate, do I really have to share the bounty with my co-workers? 

Your effort, no one else suffered - I say they are all yours.

• 1 month later...

My sister moved to California last year so she sent me a box of See's. She knows my favorite is Coconut Buttercream, but she said they were out.

My box has ScotchMallow and California Brittle( and peanut butter patties for the spouse).

I had 2 pieces( 3 WW points). This is absolute torture. I could eat 3 more pieces, but I wont!!

Perhaps I should post this somewhere else since it's not really about California Cooking & Baking but it is about See's. What do you all think about the original See's candy building?

Fighting to Save the Original See's Candy Building

I actually was once fortunate enough to get a tour of the facility on La Cienega but not the original one.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Perhaps I should post this somewhere else since it's not really about California Cooking & Baking but it is about See's.  What do you all think about the original See's candy building?

Fighting to Save the Original See's Candy Building

I actually was once fortunate enough to get a tour of the facility on La Cienega but not the original one.

I've also been in the La Cienaga building -- and still adore See's.... (coincidentally, today I bought two pieces from See's, two pieces from Godiva, two pieces from Michel Cluizel, and two pieces from Elbow.

The See's tasted best.

I've also been in the La Cienaga building -- and still adore See's.... (coincidentally, today I bought two pieces from See's, two pieces from Godiva, two pieces from Michel Cluizel, and two pieces from Elbow.

The See's tasted best.

Carolyn, you're a woman after my own heart :smile:

Chocolate is a wonderful thing and I can certainly appreciate and enjoy all the really great products that are out on the market these days. But when it comes right down to it, See's always seems to pull me back. It's not the fanciest nor the best stuff out there, but I find myself returning and returning to it year after year, after year. :laugh:

Here's an update link from the LA Times blog: Original See's Candies building may get historic designation

She showed up at City Hall with boxes of See’s candy to hand out, although that wasn’t why Charlene Nichols was treated Thursday like a milk chocolate cordial.

Los Angeles Cultural Heritage commissioners .... agreed to consider her recommendation that the original See’s chocolate factory be designated a city historic-cultural landmark.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 3 months later...