• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

See's Candy

A continuation from the It's-It's thread. For those of you not familiar with it, it is good, basic chocolate candy. It is not the world's best by any stretch of the imagination, in the same way that the ice cream in an It's-It's is not the world's best. But it tastes exactly the same as it did when I was a kid. The stores look just like they did when I was a kid. And the staff all look like her.

So tell me your favorites. Mine's California Brittle.

I like the california brittle, and I usually buy some when I am out there, but Rachel and I really love the Toffee-Ettes. I like the Almond Royals too.

Not unusual for me to come back from SFO with 3 or 4 cans of Sees.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Definitely Bordeaux, absolute heaven. Second, Butterscoth Squares and third that Marshmellow caramel thing. I beg my SoCal Mom to mail them to her East Coast Daughter. In fact, I think I might have to call right now, although she may try to bargain with me for some Smoked Fish from Zabars/Barney Greengrass...

Edited by ambra (log)

I can't count the number of times my partner and I have been ordered by his daughter to bring a box of See's with us when we've flown east to see her. And she wouldn't share. Of course, when we move to the east coast she'll just have to live without. (Unfortunately, so will we.)

Give me every one of the nut clusters covered in their dark chocolate! I'll be very nice and leave everyone else alone, as long as I get to claim my nut clusters! They're mine, Mine, MINE! Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Milk chocolate Bordeaux or dark chocolate Bordeaux-they make both?

Here is the ultimate See's link : sixty-five of their chocolates, in cross-section. They still make more varieties than this; I had some dark chocolate-covered cherries at Valentine's that were good. The dark chocolate-covered ginger is a very nice thing to serve at the end of a dinner party, and if you want something really sweet, the Maple Walnut is also good. My husband likes the Marzipan. Personally, I can eat just about anything in the nuts and chews assortment.

I MUST GO TO A SEE'S TODAY!!! I'm guessing a lot of you are buying pre-packaged boxes at the airport. If you get a chance, go into the store. It's a real trip. First, you get a free sample of your choice. They know you can't think straight until you have had a bite. They make you a box of as many different varieties as you want. Then they give you another sample of something they are promoting when you pay. That way, you are full enough to be able to wait until you get back to your car before opening the box. :laugh: I've even seen them passing out chocolates in line if there are more than one or two people in line. I guess they have a corporate policy that no one should have to be inside a See's Candy store for more than two minutes before consuming chocolate.

Oh, god...I miss See's Candy so much now that I live on the east coast!! Having grown up in CA, I'm am completely helpless when I think about those caramel suckers they make. Every single time I go home I come back with a few boxes of chocolates and suckers.

Of course, now that I know you can order them online, I'm in some serious trouble... :laugh:

Another benefit of going to the store is getting your candy in one of those little embossed white See's bags.

(Bordeaux milk or dark? Well, lessee ... if I'm snagging it from the top layer of my Mother's gift-occasion 2# asst. it'd be milk. But if I'm in the store selecting my own, dark.)

Edited by Priscilla (log)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Another Bordeaux fan, but now the California Brittle is sounding mighty good.

I also love getting that extra free piece of candy.

Back in college I had a friend whose landlady worked at See's. One time he came by with a huge box of Almond Squares which, at the time, were one of my favorites. It must have been at least 5 pounds of the stuff, if not more. After going through 2/3 of the box, I lost my taste for them and have never been able to Almond Squares again.

For me, gotta be the marzipans. I like them so much, I received a box of them as an Xmas gift from my bro. Took me a while to eat them. I love 'em, but they're so rich that I can't binge. I rightfully savor each dual chevron-topped morsel.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

Here's some See's trivia...

Found in the stores but NEVER in a pre-packaged box, is Dark Chocolate-covered Candied Ginger.

Why, might you ask?

Well, it was a favorite of Mary See's son (the eventual CEO of the company). But it was not a big seller. Instead of discontinuing it, the piece can still be had in all the stores. It is pretty amazing, too.

Oh yeah, and my favorite? Bourdeaux, of course -- with the caveat that it is the Dark Chocolate-covered Bourdeaux (they do it in Milk Chocolate too, but it is not as tasty).

I'm feeling much better. We stopped by See's-on our way home from the dentist, I kid you not. Our free samples were a Bordeaux and a Toffee-ette. One piece of California Brittle back in the car and my See's urge is satisfied. For now...

But a 1 lb. assortment of dark chocolate Bordeaux, chocolate-covered ginger, dark chocolate cherry cordials, marzipan, and a lot of California Brittle is waiting in the pantry. And a 1 lb. can of Tofee-ettes to take on our road trip next week (it's on sale!) Somehow, I picked almost all your favorites. :biggrin:

PS They had lots more flavors that aren't on the website.

Always loved the california brittle and bordeaux...

fwiw, i had them ship about 3 pounds of assorteds to my mom for her 75th b'day - they arrived (in florida in april) in perfect condition, packed with a cool pack thingie. quite reasonable even with shipping compared to some of the high-end stuff here in new york.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Another life-long Bordeaux fanatic here!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Also I would like to say that I am undecided, though leaning toward the reactionary, as to the legitimacy of those overgrown Bordeaux candy bars in the individual packages. Conceptually stone brilliant, but ...

A big strike against them is they just don't taste as fresh as those from the See's case ... a plus on their side is they are nice to cut in pieces to share with other See'sophiles.

Another drawback is the wholesale ruination of the perfection in texture/filling balance which the original has in spades.

Another plus, sometimes you can find 'em in supermarkets right at the checkstand. But then there's the question whether one ought be eating gigantic Bourdeaux in the first place.

I remain torn.

Edited by Priscilla (log)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I used to belong to the See's Marshmint Club (still have my membership card :biggrin: )...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.